Moog Voyager XL

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
calyx93
Gear: PPG Wave 2.2, Waldorf μWave x3, Roland JP6+V-Synth, SCI P5+600, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K-3

Re: Moog Voyager XL

Post by calyx93 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:14 am

smoothcriminal wrote:, but have they ever made a polysynth?
And again, yes.

They're not exactly new to this.
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.” - Rimbaud

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:51 am

I love that this hasn't even been officially released and already people are bitching. Good work guys!

Gianni

Post by Gianni » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:26 am

Word in the underground is this is legit.

So... good bye old Voyager! :D

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:40 am

I have tough time believing they'd ditch the basic Voyager line in favour of this. I'm just a bit skeptical of there being too many buyers at such prices. I mean, at least it should come with a cape.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:00 am

shaft9000 wrote:that's some brazen market-speak audacity to call THIS a 'minimoog'.
I have felt the same way about all of the Voyager demos which are titled "Minimoog" on YouTube.
The Minimoog name was a marketing ploy, or at best, a statement of lineage... but beyond that, it's ridiculous to call any Voyager (including this one) a Minimoog, because the sound, functionality, look, and just about everything else is so different. This is definitely a Voyager XL, but there is absolutely not one reasonable thing about it, apart from the brand, that would connect it with a Minimoog. Oh, wait. Except the flip-up control panel. :)

P.S. Nothing stated in this post should be taken as "bitching" by Stabby or anyone else. The thing looks absolutely glorious to me.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

nvbrkr

Post by nvbrkr » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:18 am

I think I'd fall off the chair if I had to operate that thing. Reaching over to those patch cords wouldn't be that terribly ergonomic given how I like to place the keyboards.

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:15 am

I think it looks really nice, plus I'm wondering whether the patch points will be intergrated into the patch saving function, as thats something Ive seen showing up more and more on modulars recently...

If not, then its a bit of a strange option for moog to take, although, I guess it would allow people the expansion without having to purchase the boxes separately, plus you cant complain about an extra ribbon controller...
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:46 pm

nvbrkr wrote:I have tough time believing they'd ditch the basic Voyager line in favour of this. I'm just a bit skeptical of there being too many buyers at such prices. I mean, at least it should come with a cape.
They're not ditching anything, it's not even new circuits, it's just a voyager with the two expanders built in.

All you people complaining about the name, when you own a synth company you can call your synth whatever you want. In the mean time quit your whining. ;)

Synthmatic

Post by Synthmatic » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:11 pm

Phollop Willing PA wrote:
smoothcriminal wrote:.... but have they ever made a polysynth?
Yes

But not lately...
calyx93 wrote:
smoothcriminal wrote:, but have they ever made a polysynth?
And again, yes.

They're not exactly new to this.

Well actually they are because the engineers at the present Moog Music, afaik, were not involved with the Polymoog, Opus3 or Memorymoog. The Ashville Moog Music is not a fluid continuation of the R.A.Moog, Musonics, Norlin Moog Music and Moog Electronics companies. Bob Moog was involved with these companies up until 1977 (Norlin owned at the time) and would have left sooner if he could but fulfilled his contractual obligation so he could cash in his stock. He pretty much washed his hands of those companies when he founded Big Briar.
That doesn't mean that the present Moog Music can't design a polyphonic synth it's just that they had nothing to do with the above mentioned synths.

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:34 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:I love that this hasn't even been officially released and already people are bitching. Good work guys!
I'm not bitching about it. I'm sure Voyager XL's the king's balls. I'm just surprised Moog went this direction instead of skewing more populist.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

Gianni

Post by Gianni » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:03 pm

Btw, what the h**l is a Slim Phatty? http://www.synthgear.com/2010/synthesiz ... im-phatty/

nvbrkr

Post by nvbrkr » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:01 pm

Moog Music inc. finally giving into capitalism and cutting down the production costs as much as possible?

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:39 pm

Gianni wrote:Slim Phatty?
I hope it's going to be something like the Moog version of the Monotron ;)
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:59 pm

I can't say I'm immediately excited (or even that interested) in the XL, but this idea of Moog eschewing the masses for some sort of esoteric design shouldn't surprise us anymore. What was that last thing they made, the guitar? Like a) who was asking for that, and b) how many could they have even sold?

Anyways, hopefully they'll eventually get the message and get back to making something for the masses (which the voyager was in the first place) like a polysynth!
Do you even post on vse bro?