Moog Voyager XL

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Neonlights84
Gear: Moog Minimoog Model D
Behringer DeepMind12
Novation UltraNova
Korg MS20 mini
Korg EMX-1
Band: Winter's Glow

Re: Moog Voyager XL

Post by Neonlights84 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:16 pm

vin14 wrote:When I saw this thread first, I thought 'that's funny, a Voyager on the juice, someone has way too much spare time to play with photoshop' and thought nothing more of it. I'm very surprised it's for real, and as it is it's not poly, but hey I'm sure it will appeal to somebody. Can anyone think of another monosynth with 61 keys?

I was trying to think of this very point. I do not believe there is, as I would not count a polysynth in Unison mode. In terms of true, red blooded monos, I think this may be a first. Really,the only reason it is that large is so it fits in the modules into one streamlined case.
Gear: Novation Ultranova, Korg Monotribe, Korg Electribe EMX-1, Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy, Lexicon MX200.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:22 pm

Neonlights84 wrote:
vin14 wrote:When I saw this thread first, I thought 'that's funny, a Voyager on the juice, someone has way too much spare time to play with photoshop' and thought nothing more of it. I'm very surprised it's for real, and as it is it's not poly, but hey I'm sure it will appeal to somebody. Can anyone think of another monosynth with 61 keys?

I was trying to think of this very point. I do not believe there is
And here's where you'll do one better than all those other monosynthesists out there:

Moog: Normally when you need to go for those extra bass lows, most synthesists have to stop at 3 octaves down, but here, you'll be able to 5! octaves down...

Us: Well, why not just make the third octave the lowest, and then just play that? :roll:

Moog: :?: But this one goes to five.

:drums:
Do you even post on vse bro?

Neonlights84
Behringer DeepMind12
Novation UltraNova
Korg MS20 mini
Korg EMX-1

Post by Neonlights84 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:05 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:
Neonlights84 wrote:

I was trying to think of this very point. I do not believe there is
And here's where you'll do one better than all those other monosynthesists out there:

Moog: Normally when you need to go for those extra bass lows, most synthesists have to stop at 3 octaves down, but here, you'll be able to 5! octaves down...

Us: Well, why not just make the third octave the lowest, and then just play that? :roll:

Moog: :?: But this one goes to five.

:drums:
Haha, gotta be sure to get those indistinguishable burps and growls!
Gear: Novation Ultranova, Korg Monotribe, Korg Electribe EMX-1, Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy, Lexicon MX200.

knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by knolan » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:51 pm

Here's my take on the Voyager and Voyager XL:

- Having heard the Minimoog demo's posted here recently, and elsewhere, there's no doubt that the Minimoog sound is extremely special because it simply sounds better than any other equivalent synthesizer, hands down.

- The Moog Voyager is a little disappointing (as is the Little Phatty which I own) in looking for that original Moog sound - they are close, but there is definitely that 'magic ingredient' missing. In short, they are just not quite as good in the basic oscillator and filter department.

- That said, Bob Moog himself worked on the Voyager and to an extent on the Little Phatty so they are genuine, honest attempts at modern reincarnation of the Minimoog legacy; and should be treated with real respect IMO - they are very decent synthesizers in their own right and of course totally analogue (without that 'everything too in phase' sound that all VAs seem to suffer from). So I do not subscribe to cynical comments about Moog Music as they are today and the Voyager - both of which receive a quite amount of cynical comment, even on this forum.

- The Voyager XL is one of the most curious synthesizers I've ever seen. It looks amazing and no doubt can be made to scream and howl in ways only yet dreamed of. Nevertheless, the price is outrageous (as is the Voyager price); and Moog needed to offer at least the option of adding extra voice cards to make it Duophonic if not polyphonic. Or at least, the panel could have been a bit more efficient and a small amount of space allocated to add a few modules such as extra oscillators, filters, envelopes etc even if remaining monophonic. I feel they missed a trick there and overall can't imagine the Voyagers in-built resources providing what it looks to be setup for - a massive moog modular sound. Perhaps existing Voyager users can indicate otherwise?

But a 5 octave monophonic synthesizer is a quite silly in concept for lead playing; and even for sound design - I can't imagine one's mind hearing/imagining a given sound on an analogue synthesizer spanning 5 octaves - perhaps in the white noise department; or perhaps with scaled LFO rate effects?? But is does seem a little silly the way they've set it up.

Saying all of that , if the Voyager XL cost about $2500, I think it would be quite a hit.

Kevin.

rharris07
Expert Member
Expert Member
Band: Ghost Fires, The Witch Family

Post by rharris07 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:06 pm

skweeegor wrote:Maybe moog will suck my d**k.

As much as they like to rip consumers off (personal view, don't blast me!) - they probably would suck you off, BUT it'll be $12,995 without hands....$13,455 with hands, and for an extra $499 you can upgrade to someone with a tongue ring.

MEK | SixTrak | DrumTraks | Motif 8 | DW8000 | MicroKorg | EMX1 & ESX1 | Soviet TOM | Arp Quartet | SD-1 32V | Elka 490 | Indigo 2 | E6400 | Morpheus | SQ2 | DotCom Modular

atticus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by atticus » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:19 pm

knolan wrote:Here's my take on the Voyager and Voyager XL:

- Having heard the Minimoog demo's posted here recently, and elsewhere, there's no doubt that the Minimoog sound is extremely special because it simply sounds better than any other equivalent synthesizer, hands down.

- The Moog Voyager is a little disappointing (as is the Little Phatty which I own) in looking for that original Moog sound - they are close, but there is definitely that 'magic ingredient' missing. In short, they are just not quite as good in the basic oscillator and filter department.

- That said, Bob Moog himself worked on the Voyager and to an extent on the Little Phatty so they are genuine, honest attempts at modern reincarnation of the Minimoog legacy; and should be treated with real respect IMO - they are very decent synthesizers in their own right and of course totally analogue (without that 'everything too in phase' sound that all VAs seem to suffer from). So I do not subscribe to cynical comments about Moog Music as they are today and the Voyager - both of which receive a quite amount of cynical comment, even on this forum.
Kevin.
Very well said mate. The Voyager and the Little Phatty are both good synths but at the price it's a pity the Mini sounds so much more alive than a Voyager, and that a Little Phatty can be so outshone by a Prodigy for example.

I do love how "classy" and "polite" the Voyager sounds though, it can cover many more bases than a Mini. People always want "attitude" from analogue but I think the mellow side is very underrated.
Bugbrand Modular, MFB Synth II, Roland Juno 1, Roland JD-990, Novation Supernova, Jomox Airbase, Roland SH-09, Roland HS-60, Mac & Logic

implant

Post by implant » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:28 pm

all you gotta do is take your phatty or voyager and box it up then store it in your attic for 10-20+ years.
after the passage of time take it out of storage and then ship round trip to about 3-6 different spots in america. once the final journey is complete send it to atleast 2 different repair shops one local and another out of state. i think it is safe to say at that point your phatty and voyager are sounding a bit more vintage and worth hopefully a lot more. i am assuming of coarse that the moog company has stopped making the phat and voyager by then. :lol:

IMO the voyager XL(moogerfooger) edition does cost too much. for the price one could add some xtra cash and go for a memorymoog+. a new micromoog would have been kool! i wonder if moog will ever shock the world and crank out a VA?

Neonlights84
Behringer DeepMind12
Novation UltraNova
Korg MS20 mini
Korg EMX-1

Post by Neonlights84 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:39 pm

implant wrote:all you gotta do is take your phatty or voyager and box it up then store it in your attic for 10-20+ years.
after the passage of time take it out of storage and then ship round trip to about 3-6 different spots in america. once the final journey is complete send it to atleast 2 different repair shops one local and another out of state. i think it is safe to say at that point your phatty and voyager are sounding a bit more vintage and worth hopefully a lot more. i am assuming of coarse that the moog company has stopped making the phat and voyager by then. :lol:

IMO the voyager XL(moogerfooger) edition does cost too much. for the price one could add some xtra cash and go for a memorymoog+. a new micromoog would have been kool! i wonder if moog will ever shock the world and crank out a VA?
:lol: You know, i think you are on to something here. I am eagerly awaiting to watch the LP used market on ebay the day they are discontinued. And one day, I'll be able to say I bought mine brand spanking new, from a Moog authorized music store. Original owner, manual and box. Sounds awesome already. :D

Mush
Gear: I have all the gear I need.
Band: Mush Orchestra / Rasmus Nyåker

Post by Mush » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:03 pm

Counting the inflation almost no synths have increased in price through the years.

implant

Post by implant » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:13 pm

are you sure? because i get the distinct feeling some have

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:24 am

implant wrote:are you sure? because i get the distinct feeling some have
Not from their original prices, except for the odd ducks like the TB-303 which was a bargain piece of plastic c**p which is now stupidly overpriced.

druzz
Band: November's Ego

Post by druzz » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:49 am

i think the 5 octave keyboard is not that stupid in the context of a modern computer driven studio (or a midi studio) . it can double up as a capable midi controller and symplify your setup. (if thats what you want)

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:36 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
implant wrote:are you sure? because i get the distinct feeling some have
Not from their original prices, except for the odd ducks like the TB-303 which was a bargain piece of plastic c**p which is now stupidly overpriced.
TR-909's and Jupiter-8's are routinely selling on ebay over their original MSRP, just like 303.

Odd ducks aside, I think the norm is for synths to depreciate and stay that way.

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:55 pm

atticus wrote: I do love how "classy" and "polite" the Voyager sounds though, it can cover many more bases than a Mini. People always want "attitude" from analogue but I think the mellow side is very underrated.
Yup.

[youtube][/youtube]

This is what it excels at.

You can coax a lot of funky and experimental sounds out of it too, but it usually takes a little work (and maybe some additional effects). The above track is a good example of the sounds that just flow out of the Voyager.

Neonlights84
Behringer DeepMind12
Novation UltraNova
Korg MS20 mini
Korg EMX-1

Post by Neonlights84 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:34 pm

Mush wrote:Counting the inflation almost no synths have increased in price through the years.

Well, I was not really referring to long term pricing. I just think it would be interesting to see if, when the news came, it had any short term ebay effect. Lp's routinely sell for $750-850, partly because people rightly know they are in production and available. If all of the sudden, the supply becomes finite, I think it would have to raise the used prices for a time until the market figured itself out and stabilized.

Also, I am not looking forward to the future I spoke of so that I can unload it for some serious dough. I am simply looking forward to my synth maturating into "vintage" status.