Moog Voyager XL

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
jaypodesta

Re: Moog Voyager XL

Post by jaypodesta » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:24 pm

seamonkey wrote:So....the mighty synthgods have spoken, and with a wave of a single oscillator, any information regarding this disappeared.
Link for the many here, who are unaware of the existence of Google:

http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/moo ... nth-276793

Edit: somehow I missed page 2 :lol:
Last edited by jaypodesta on Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smoothcriminal

Post by smoothcriminal » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:25 pm

Synthmatic wrote: Well actually they are because the engineers at the present Moog Music, afaik, were not involved with the Polymoog, Opus3 or Memorymoog.That doesn't mean that the present Moog Music can't design a polyphonic synth it's just that they had nothing to do with the above mentioned synths.
Interesting...

"slim phatty" ... desktop lil' phatty with a step sequencer and no keyboard? That would be pretty cool.

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:16 pm

jaypodesta wrote:
seamonkey wrote:So....the mighty synthgods have spoken, and with a wave of a single oscillator, any information regarding this disappeared.
Link for the many here, who are unaware of the existence of Google:

http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/moo ... nth-276793

Edit: somehow I missed page 2 :lol:
Google is singular for Googles who were an 80's band who had a hit song called "Internet killed the video star".
The keyboardist went on to form the very successful prog rock band called Europe. :roll: <<<<@me!
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:58 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:All you people complaining about the name, when you own a synth company you can call your synth whatever you want. In the mean time quit your whining. ;)
When all of you own a synth company, you can complain about any aspect of a synthesizer. Until then, you can't. It's wrong to discuss and weigh the various merits and flaws of any given device (or its appearance, marketing, or name). Just stop it! You don't have any right to do those things until you're a manufacturer.
In fact, that's it. Forum closed.
To join it properly, we'll need your company's tax ID number.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:01 am

Way to miss the point Marc. :D I'm saying it's their company, they can name it whatever they want.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:05 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:Way to miss the point Marc. :D I'm saying it's their company, they can name it whatever they want.
Naw, I got your point. I'm just having some fun. :)
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

haj

Post by haj » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:21 am

If this isn't polyphonic, isn't it rather limited compared to Voyager + VX351 + VX532? And the price? 3 Mults are taking large area in the valueable small patch space. Can be substituted by $1 splitter, I'd rather have something with 'circuits' for the price...

ColorForm2113
Gear: tin cans and rubber bands
Band: Me twiddling in the corner...

Post by ColorForm2113 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:42 am

next thing you know some moog tech is going to be out on the town field testing the prototype voyager xl, have a little to much to drink and leave it at the bar. then some patron will spot it take it home and play with it for a bit and try and sell it to sonicstate.com so they can be the first to review it . ;)
My modular so far: Q104, Q106, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M (x2 STEREO!)

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:50 am

ColorForm2113 wrote:next thing you know some moog tech is going to be out on the town field testing the prototype voyager xl, have a little to much to drink and leave it at the bar. then some patron will spot it take it home and play with it for a bit and try and sell it to sonicstate.com so they can be the first to review it . ;)
Clever.

I personally don't care much for the whole Moog culture. Yes, it's a culture. People think that any synthesizer is a Moog or some wannabe. Read any review for one and they'll say "It's nice and sounds awesome, but it isn't that Moog sound." Yeah, no s**t, it's not a Moog. These are the same people who pronounce it mooooog, like a cow. Yeah, I'm clearly biased towards Dave Smith/SCI, but I still appreciate a good Moog. But c'mon, what the h**l is such a huuuuge difference between two competing two OSC synthesizers that every n00b can discern and say "It isn't that Moog bass."?? Yeah, because you really can't layer every voice of a Prophet 5 and shake the house. :roll: Or even a Pro~One. h**l, I can't get that Prophet sound from a MemoryMoog or that OB 8 sound from a Prophet 5. I can however get 'em all with my BitOne. :lol: :lol:

p.s. Émiliaa Evolver certainly knows how to sound good, just wish she wasn't all grown up. ;)
bonne chance

Mush
Gear: I have all the gear I need.
Band: Mush Orchestra / Rasmus Nyåker

Post by Mush » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:13 am

I couldn't care less about the hype. I happen to have two moogs at the moment in the studio (a lp IIse and a rogue). I like playing live and improvising on the Rogue, the LP however is used for production duties, as I have to make a lot of music on amount of time. (I earn my main income from writing music for different media-productions, mainly video). I wouldn't mind exchanging these two for a Voyager XL, and I didn't feel that about the classic voyager. Having it all in one package would make it less cluttered in my small space and the patch-panel on the right would be perfect for integration with my MS/SQ system that I use when I make music for fun. And 5 octaves is great as it could be my main non-weighted controller. So I will need to have a talk with my accountant later on about this machine.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:44 am

BTW my hit prediction for the Slim Phatty is that it'll be a rackable, polychainable Phatty. So people will finally get their polyphonic Moog.

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:42 pm

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Post by wiss » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:04 pm

I would just get a 2nd hand moog voyager, both expanders, and have anywhere from $2000 to $2500 left over.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:09 pm

Quite.

I'm surprised they went to so much effort with this really... I don't get it at all.

skweeegor

Post by skweeegor » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:20 pm

I'm surprised people are so surprised about this. Modulars are more popular than ever, and it's a market where people don't blink at paying 5000$ for a system (or two to three times as much for a buchla). Seems like a no brainer to add a few patch points to an existing product to capture that demographic.