Moog Voyager XL

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
moognase

Re: Moog Voyager XL

Post by moognase » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:40 pm

Wonder if the ribbon controller can be operated nasally. Or is that a chopstick compartment?

rharris07
Expert Member
Expert Member
Band: Ghost Fires, The Witch Family

Post by rharris07 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:38 pm

f**k me, 5 grand for a mono? I guess if you're in Mush's spot where it makes sense to have it all in one box due to cramped recording conditions...but other than that, goddamn thats pricey! I'll just stick with building my dotcom modular and pay as I go.

A rackable phatty would be pretty nice though.

Perhaps this would also mean the current voyagers would drop in resale value due to many of the current owners selling theirs off to pick this one up! If thats the case - if anyone here has a voyager they want to get rid of in order to buy the XL, come holler at me!

MEK | SixTrak | DrumTraks | Motif 8 | DW8000 | MicroKorg | EMX1 & ESX1 | Soviet TOM | Arp Quartet | SD-1 32V | Elka 490 | Indigo 2 | E6400 | Morpheus | SQ2 | DotCom Modular

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:08 pm

My prediction: Some people will want this synth, some will not.

Some will buy it and be convinced it's the coolest synth ever, never play it and simply look at it and talk about it online.
Some will buy it and play 3 notes and convince themselves that they should sell it a week later and buy something else.
Some will buy it and play it.

Some will not buy it, forever pine for it and buy all sorts of less expensive items, realize those items don't have the Moog sound and trash talk those items online.
Some will not buy it and will use every opportunity they can to tell you why the will not buy it.
Some will not buy it because they realize at the end of the day all synths make a few sounds along the lines of fwonk, whooo, ing, and awaaa. These will be the people that actually make music for a living.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:08 am

Yay moog just what everyone wanted... a more expensive version of what they already sell :roll:

Seriously though how about listening to their customers for a change?

WE WANT RACKMOUNT LITTLE PHATTY

WE WANT KEYBOARD VERSION OF TAURUS III

WE WANT POLYSYNTH

WE DONT WANT VOYAGER OSCILLATORS

WE DONT WANT RED COLORED LITTLE PHATTY SPECIAL EDITIONS

WE WANT WOODEN THEREMIN TOILETS
for sale/trade: EML-101

CfNorENa
Gear: SEM | SH-2 | Prophet 5 | MKS-70 | Microwave XTk | Kronos || AD 202 | El Capistan | DP/4 | Eclipse | Rumour | PCM90

Post by CfNorENa » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:11 am

tallowwaters wrote:My prediction: Some people will want this synth, some will not.

Some will buy it and be convinced it's the coolest synth ever, never play it and simply look at it and talk about it online.
Some will buy it and play 3 notes and convince themselves that they should sell it a week later and buy something else.
Some will buy it and play it.

Some will not buy it, forever pine for it and buy all sorts of less expensive items, realize those items don't have the Moog sound and trash talk those items online.
Some will not buy it and will use every opportunity they can to tell you why the will not buy it.
Some will not buy it because they realize at the end of the day all synths make a few sounds along the lines of fwonk, whooo, ing, and awaaa. These will be the people that actually make music for a living.
Well f**k me. You've consolidated the entire discourse of pretty much every EM forum into eight sentences. Bloody impressive!

:agree:

novielo
Gear: in order of appearence:
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff
Band: one-man band
Location: by the river, st-jerome, quebec, canada, north america

Post by novielo » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:56 am

amen, Allah, or what ever
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes

smoothcriminal

Post by smoothcriminal » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:00 am

nadafarms wrote:Seriously though how about listening to their customers for a change?
Maybe we arent their customers :?

Reginator
Gear: Korg: ARP Odyssey/MS-20 Kit, TTSH: Ver.1/Ver.2, ARP 1601 Sequencer (DIY), Minimoog Voyager, Waldorf Microwave Mk1 rev B, Roland: JP-8080/MC-505
Band: Reginator

Post by Reginator » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:43 am

I love my Voyager and it’s my very first analog synth. If the XL was out when I was shopping I would have still gotten the Voyager Performer because of the price.

I was hoping for a totally new poly synth from Moog but if this is what they’re offering so be it. I’ll probably never own one unless someone even traded me for my Performer Edition or I go multi-platinum with my indie music. I'm wondering which will happen first…

Primal Drive

Post by Primal Drive » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:47 am

I honestly cannot grasp the thinking behind this concept. :?

If it had been a Voyager OS with extensive patch points then it would have been much more appealing in a modular synth sort of way. In fact. it might have paved the way to a new Moog modular system (beyond the moogerfoogers).

Quite honestly, this is one of the most stupid synth concepts I've ever seen. It makes me wonder if the people in charge of Moog synth development have ever heard of the Edsel.

Then again, if I had the money to throw away I'd probably buy the thing just for it's bizarre and potentially rare value. :roll:
And then she said, "What the f...?"

mute

Post by mute » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:54 am

lots of reverse snobbery in this thread,.. bit ironic. i think its a gorgeous instrument

Primal Drive

Post by Primal Drive » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:25 am

mute wrote:lots of reverse snobbery in this thread,.. bit ironic. i think its a gorgeous instrument
No snobbery intended. IMHO I think the Voyager is an excellent synth in it's own right.

But honestly, the XL version comes across as a PR nightmare. Unless there's a plan to offer modular expansions in the future this thing just strikes me as a serious dead end.

This is not new synth development, this is just grafting existing components together as though they were Lego blocks, and not in an exciting modular way.

Unless Moog has something truly innovative hidden in the wings, I feel this thing might just be a disaster for them.

YMMV.
And then she said, "What the f...?"

haj

Post by haj » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:46 pm

Voyager + VX351 + VX352 + CP251 + ribon + wider keyboard actually could make pretty much $5000...

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:01 pm

Maybe $4000. Of course, the list price on the Moog site isn't really what it costs when you buy it from somewhere else. Regular Voyagers go for a lot less in stores and online stores these days. At least in Europe the performer edition has gone down a lot over the years.

The VX352 is an expansion box for the rack version, which doesn't have CV inputs. You'll have no use for it with the keyboard versions of the Voyager as far as I know. You can't count that into the costs.

haj

Post by haj » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:31 pm

Then it's rather expensive indeed!

I don't know if I'd ever be able to afford this. But then how could I afford a Buchla!

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:47 pm

I just wonder if everyone on here would say the same kind of stuff, if Moog released a new Modular system for say $10,000, when you know you could purchase a dot com, COTK, Moon or MOTM system for way less.
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |