Thinking of selling up?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Re: Thinking of selling up?

Post by loungedumore » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:56 pm

Roland JP8080/8000, TR909, JD900, 106, JV1080. Novation KS, SN II, Waldorf Pulse+, Q, Korg MS2000, Aceess Virus TI2.

I'd keep the Pulse + ( I miss mine often )
The Virus And maybe the KS too .

The 909 should bring you a pretty penny ;)
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

Synthacon
Gear: Hard and Soft Synths

Post by Synthacon » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:18 pm

I would never say sell everything, but I have found that less is more. A good combination of well thought out software and hardware can be far more rewarding than a mass of gear.
You always want just one more Synth!

Zack McConnell

Post by Zack McConnell » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:16 pm

Would it be crazy to sell a DX200 and start hunting for a Korg DS-8? I like FM, but the DX200 is a nigh-untweakable performance groovebox, and the DS-8 seems to be a fully programmable playable instrument. It's drum sounds are c**p (nice tablas though) and who cares about resonant filters when you can't modify the sound to the extent that you'd like to? I'm not really having fun with it, so I think I will get rid of it. That's my opinion. If you don't have fun with it, you can't create with it, ship it out.

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:01 pm

knolan wrote:Computers still suffer from latency
Sorry to hear your computer isn't up to snuff.
and the 2D images of plugin synths is a con
It's not a con, unless you've got something one of those vintage emulations trying to look like a polished 3D picture of the actual machine. If you read the list of the topicstarter, you see that it's chock full of virtual analogs - arguably a bunch of cons, too, since what happens when you move a slider on a JP8000 is nothing like what happens when you move a slider on a JP8.
But IMO the computer-only solution is a pale, shadow of a concept - it can never replace the tactile / instantaneous and interactive nature of hardware in electronic music. You'd be entering an entirely new domain - IMO only useful for 'media/generic-vanilla sounding' type work and not for actual playing of living, breathing music with character.
Let's go 40 years back and say this to Wendy Carlos, slightly rephrased:
But IMO the synthesizer-only solution is a pale, shadow of a concept - it can never replace the tactile / instantaneous and interactive nature of real orchestral instruments in classical music. You'd be entering an entirely new domain - IMO only useful for 'media/generic-vanilla sounding' type work and not for actual playing of living, breathing music with character.
The moment you understand why you accept synths as valid instruments is the moment you'll understand why computers are valid instruments; it's mostly because you're used to it.

The reason why you shouldn't dump your hardware all at once is much more basic; you don't have to tell scary tales about computers.

It's a bloody stupid thing to do.

You discard equipment that you're familiar with and have several years of experience with, and you think you can get up to speed in no-time with the plugins? All your favorite sounds are gone. All your favorite effects and tricks are gone; you have to learn them all over again. None of your old projects work anymore unless you've recorded to audio.

And you can't undo this - you've already sold everything!

So, put everything in storage for a while. When you don't notice yourself missing something after 3 months - then start selling it; but not before you haul it out of storage and listen to it again for a while - carefully. If you don't fall in love again, you know you can safely get rid of it.

There is no hardware side. There is no software side. There's only the side - as already expressed in various previous posts - that lets you enjoy what you have and what you do with it.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:44 pm

Yoozer wrote:....

So, put everything in storage for a while. When you don't notice yourself missing something after 3 months - then start selling it; but not before you haul it out of storage and listen to it again for a while - carefully. If you don't fall in love again, you know you can safely get rid of it.....
Wise and good words.
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

Zack McConnell

Post by Zack McConnell » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:59 pm

Yoozer wrote: There is no hardware side. There is no software side. There's only the side - as already expressed in various previous posts - that lets you enjoy what you have and what you do with it.
<3