reflections on NOT having an Andromeda

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
paugui

Re: reflections on NOT having an Andromeda

Post by paugui » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:30 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:Let's keep this thread going to get the prices down really low.
Great idea ;)

mao
Gear: Andromeda - Voyager RME - VSynth XT - MonoEvolverKeyboard - NordRack2X - EX-8000 - Waldorf Microwave - Machinedrum - Monomachine

Post by mao » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:29 pm

There are a couple of idiots selling their A6 for 4000$ on ebay :lol: They red that the A6 is discontinued and bam !!! they realized they can milk some $$$ from collectors.

But after seeing Jupiter8 at 6.000$, CS80 at 10.000$ and so on... well... who wants my A6 for 4000$ ???
Last edited by mao on Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shleed
Gear: Doepfer A100
MFB Synth II
Waldorf Blofeld
Korg MS20 Mini
Ensoniq EPS-16+
TT303
TX81Z
Band: Shledge

Post by Shleed » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:43 pm

2-3 years ago I seen an A6 sell for €1,200 on Thomann.

I really should've got one then.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:23 pm

b3groover wrote:It isn't perfect (then again, what synth is?). I'm not thrilled with how the aftertouch responds (the curve) and there doesn't seem to be a way to change it. In fact, the knobs themselves respond strangely to me; the way they react as you turn them. Almost like they are using a weird curve to buffer their response. Not sure if you can change that either.
velocity and aftertouch have to be on "50" in the "global" menu to work fine IME. not sure about the response curve of the knobs, I haven't had the experience you're describing, but I find it good to have all knobs on "pass through" mode (again in the "global" menu, "panel").

as far as prices, yeah anything over 3k is too much. I got mine for about 2.5k$ including a very well custom built flight case and the RAM expansion card (which is like 100€ on thomann, most expensive 2mb you can get :lol:)

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:12 pm

With the whole current price gouging thing, I say if you waited this long to get one, why bother? 1.5 years ago?, you could get one BRAND NEW for $2k, so I laugh at anyone either buying or greedily selling theirs for 3k+, discontinued or not: it's not like they had a short run (of ten years? :roll: )
Do you even post on vse bro?

b3groover
Band: THEO

Post by b3groover » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:42 pm

I've been watching Andromeda's on ebay like a hawk for the last two months (for obvious reasons). They've sold anywhere from $2700 (buy it now) to $4000. The last one with no reserve sold for $3400. I paid $3500 for mine about a month ago and that's what I'm asking for it on this forum. That's where the market is at, stupid or not. I think it's stupid that Moog (Realistic) Concert-Mates for for $400 to $500 but hey, that's the market. I think it's stupid that someone would pay almost $2k for a TR-909. It's a f**k drum machine. But hey, that's the market and if it's worth that much to you, then that's what matters.

krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Where the Embers Fall

Post by krzeppa » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:29 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:With the whole current price gouging thing, I say if you waited this long to get one, why bother? 1.5 years ago?, you could get one BRAND NEW for $2k, so I laugh at anyone either buying or greedily selling theirs for 3k+, discontinued or not: it's not like they had a short run (of ten years? :roll: )
Agree. I saw one for used for $1,800 not that only about a year ago on ebay, but I hesitated. Maybe I should have gone for it, but I felt a little uneasy about the seller. So better safe than sorry I guess.
b3groover wrote:I've been watching Andromeda's on ebay like a hawk for the last two months (for obvious reasons). They've sold anywhere from $2700 (buy it now) to $4000. The last one with no reserve sold for $3400. I paid $3500 for mine about a month ago and that's what I'm asking for it on this forum. That's where the market is at, stupid or not. I think it's stupid that Moog (Realistic) Concert-Mates for for $400 to $500 but hey, that's the market. I think it's stupid that someone would pay almost $2k for a TR-909. It's a f**k drum machine. But hey, that's the market and if it's worth that much to you, then that's what matters.
The market is crazy like that for sure. In some instances though you can probably wait a couple of years for the prices to recede a little bit. I think that A6's are so high right now because they are recently out of production and all of sudden people who didn't want one now think they might want one. I don't think the prices will ever drop to say $1,500 but I don't think they can honestly hang out there at the $4k mark forever. But then again, I could be wrong....what do I know? :?

plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Post by plikestechno » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:41 am

Price is way too nuts now. You could see them every week or two last year for 1500-2k. One in Calgary (3 hours south of me) was listed on Ebay for 1500 BIN but I was totally broke at the time.

But I don't really want one. If I'd bought that 1500 one I would have just ended up reselling it for 3k. I played a friend's and didn't find it any more interesting than what I already had.

I'm done with keyed hardware analog poly keys though too. Mostly room and mostly cause I have no desire to stress about keyboards breaking in the mail. I have my Prophet T8 and some other analog racks (MKS70, MKS50, Cheetah MS6...) and the Arturia Collection V2.0 and that's good enough for me. I also keep around old choruses, reverbs and delays and filters if I need to "vintage" something.

The only analog polys I'd shell even remotely crazy money out for these days are an 8 voice OBX or a Yamaha CS50, 60 or 80.The rest are not distinctive enough from what I have or softsynths to justify the price tags.

Vintage monos are what would be more of a priority for me as far as bass, leads and effects are concerned.
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40

nvining
Gear: CS80, Chroma, Synclavier, DK Synergy II+, Matrix 12, Memorymoog+, CS20m, Clavinet, AlphaSyntauri, Korg Micropreset, Lexicon 480L, Otari RADAR

Post by nvining » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:50 am

Had an Andromeda. Sold it. Got a Minimoog D with the proceeds. Not looking back.

The killers:

1. Blowing up on me at a gig for no good reason. Somehow it got stuck in some kind of hideous MIDI triggering mode.
2. Velocity sensitivity is too stepped for my taste. Frankly, I want a button that just turns the velocity sensitivity off on every patch.
3. I would also like a giant switch that turns the onboard effects off on every patch.

I think it's a synthesizer for somebody who really likes diving into synthesis and working with what's under the hood. That's not me, though - I want something where I can grab knobs, twist, and get what I want. The D does that and fits in better with the style of music I'm trying to create. Now if only I hadn't sold my ARP Pro Soloist, I'd *really* be happy.
"We have to remember that Moogs, ARPs and all of the first synths had been created by raging madmen." - Jean-Michael Jarre

vin14
Gear: ∂Juno1 / BassStation Rack / CS-5 / D-50 / DX7 / Juno-106 / M1 / Minibrute / SK20 / SY85 / Trident / Voyager OS / Minimonsta / ImpOSCar
Band: oddball

Post by vin14 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:26 pm

As they say, the grass is always greener, don't worry about it.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:19 pm

nvining wrote:Had an Andromeda. Sold it. Got a Minimoog D with the proceeds. Not looking back.

The killers:

1. Blowing up on me at a gig for no good reason. Somehow it got stuck in some kind of hideous MIDI triggering mode.
2. Velocity sensitivity is too stepped for my taste. Frankly, I want a button that just turns the velocity sensitivity off on every patch.
3. I would also like a giant switch that turns the onboard effects off on every patch.

I think it's a synthesizer for somebody who really likes diving into synthesis and working with what's under the hood. That's not me, though - I want something where I can grab knobs, twist, and get what I want. The D does that and fits in better with the style of music I'm trying to create. Now if only I hadn't sold my ARP Pro Soloist, I'd *really* be happy.
1. true, this can happen sometimes. midi implementation is a bit buggy
2. you can turn velocity off in the global menu. as said, has to be on "50" to be "standard"
3. you can switch all effects off with the "effects on/off" button :)

yes, it's a synthesizer for someone who likes to dive into synthesis. I always thought most of the guys on this forum would apply to that…?

of course there's no comparing to a minimoog. an A6 is an A6 and a mini is a mini. it's a question about whether you want a big poly or a big mono IMO.

felis

Post by felis » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:34 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:With the whole current price gouging thing, I say if you waited this long to get one, why bother? 1.5 years ago?, you could get one BRAND NEW for $2k, so I laugh at anyone either buying or greedily selling theirs for 3k+, discontinued or not: it's not like they had a short run (of ten years? :roll: )

I've seen used ones for $2k, but never a new one for that price.

Where did you see it for that amount?

b3groover

Post by b3groover » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:16 pm

The cheapest I saw a brand new one was at Nova Musik this past winter for $2500. Should've jumped on it, but I was absolutely completely broke then, as opposed to just merely broke now. :)

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:06 pm

felis wrote:

I've seen used ones for $2k, but never a new one for that price.

Where did you see it for that amount?
Novamusik had a "secret" sale 2 xmases ago... 2k shipped. Should've stocked up!

B3-yes, my comment was not so subtly aimed at you, but if you actually paid that much, then it is not (and instead is aimed at the general sellers out there asking the same or more).
Do you even post on vse bro?

b3groover

Post by b3groover » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:09 am

Yes, I did pay that much; I really wish I would've jumped on one last winter, when they were indeed selling used for under $2k. But again, I've been watching eBay for the past few months, before and after my purchase, and they're selling for around $3500 now. Only one I've seen has sold for $4k and that was an auction right before the one I bid on and won.

Even at $3500, I feel it's worth it. The more I dig into it, the more I love it. It's a frickin' monster.