The Undocumented Roland EP30

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

The Undocumented Roland EP30

Postby JNeidlinger » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:29 am

I saw this for way too cheap to not pick up, clean up, and give a good home.

Released in 1974, the Roland EP30 was the worlds FIRST velocity sensitive keyboard (so they say...).

I opened it up to give it the old dust bunny cleaning. Definitely related to the SH-1000, which was from around its time. Voice architecture is built around the LM3216 that the SH-1000 also uses. Holy resistors!

BARELY anything on this guy. Anyone else have any input on it? Its controls are definitely basic... You've got a pitch adjustment on the front, a volume knob which can be pulled out to turn OFF velocity sensing, a "tone" knob that (sounds) like a low pass filter, a bass volume knob, and vibrato controls for depth and speed. Voices available include a bass preset which can be played on the lower 1.5 octaves along with Piano I, Piano II, Harpsichord I, and Harpsichord II settings.

How does it sound? Like a 1974 analog piano. Interesting sounding? Yes, can be very crunchy, and sounds very very warm and classy with vibrato on, and a sustain pedal sustaining. I was thinking the velocity sensing on this thing had to be rather crude, but on the contrary its great. Still working awesome, and works very well with varying velocities.

JNeidlinger

Gear: MS-10, MS-2000, CZ-3000, JX-3P, JX-8P, ER-1, MSQ-700, Prophet-600, Poly-61, x0xb0x, OB-SX, Moog Slayer EX-800, Polivoks Filter, Yamaha GS-2, and on...

Re: The Undocumented Roland EP30

Postby madtheory » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:52 am

Can you post clips? I'd love to hear it. There was the velocity sensitive RMI Electrapiano 368D in 1974 too.
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec01/a ... ne1201.asp
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Novation KSR, PT12, VCZ, Redmatica, MIDIQuest, Casio FZ, SK5, Komplete, M1, Theremin, Digi Vocalist, Quadravrb+, Kaoss Pad, JV, SPD, Cyclone, Drummer.
Band: madtheory

Return to General Synthesizers