need Help with shipping Large keyboards.

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Old Iron Giant
Gear: Virus Ti2, Indig2, EmuXL7, Microkorg.
Band: KHz+

need Help with shipping Large keyboards.

Post by Old Iron Giant » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:29 am

need some boxing / packing advice on shipping large & heavy 88key synths, some with lots of fun knobs. :?
normally I try to avoid long distant sales, but I need this stuff GONE! I recently moved, and there is just no room to keep unused gear laying around.

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Re: need Help with shipping Large keyboards.

Post by th0mas » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:19 am

I usually go overboard with a layer of foam, then cardboard, then put that box inside another box with a layer of packing material separating them. I try to only ship large stuff when I have a lot of extra cardboard around and never throw out a box. Also dont be afraid to make your own box or cut boxes down to the right size, just use enough tape to bind it all together. or get it done professionally but I have no clue on the costs of that.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:09 am

th0mas wrote:I usually go overboard with a layer of foam, then cardboard, then put that box inside another box with a layer of packing material separating them. I try to only ship large stuff when I have a lot of extra cardboard around and never throw out a box. Also dont be afraid to make your own box or cut boxes down to the right size, just use enough tape to bind it all together.
+1
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:41 am

if you can, use solid foam blocks placed on the panel either side of the knobbed sections, so that there's a kind of physical barrier from anything smashing the knobs..

Then I use a combination of bubble wrap + packing foam around the item, then I use scrunched up newspaper to fill out the bulk of the box. - bubble wrap/packing foam provides the fine softness, the newspaper acts as kind of heavy shock absorber and a barrier between the surface of the box and the item in case something sharp pokes through the box.. Using just packing foam to fill a box the problem rises that if the item is shaken around alot, the foam moves to being above the item and the item rests on the bottom of the box.

Also all joins on the box I make sure they're completely sealed with tape to stop any water leaking into the box.

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:20 pm

Reinforce the inside corners of the box with stiffer cardboard inserts shaped for the box if at all possible.
bonne chance

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:49 pm

For the outermost box edges/corners I recommend fiber reinforced kraft tape (aka water activated gummed tape). Get the adhesion side wet with a sponge and press on firmly. It's cheap tape! But strong as h**l.

EmptySet
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: MS20, x0xb0x, JV-1080, JX-3P, JX-8P(PG800), Juno Stage, VFX-SD, VL-1, ARP Omni I, D-50, DW6000

Post by EmptySet » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:04 pm

I'm curious to know why nobody has suggested starting with a known good flight case. Wouldn't that solve several problems? (covers knobs, form-fitting, hard outer shell, hard foam surrounding the synth, less tape, etc).

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:58 pm

sure it's a good idea if the price is not an issue.. proper flight cases that wont fail are expensive. 0- eg pelican brand, etc

bpt114

Post by bpt114 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:22 pm

Many shipping centers such as the UPS Store offer pack-and-ship promises where they guarantee their packing meets the carrier's standards. A refund for the insured price of the item will be given if it's damaged during shipment. They only use new materials so for large expensive items the extra cost for a new box and packing materials should be worth it. Having a shipping center pack the item also allows you to show the sales clerk that the item works before it's packed. Just turn it on and let them see it light up. That's usually good enough for them. Ask them to make a note of this to protect you even more. Finally, provide them with proof of the insured price so there won't be any delay for filing a claim if it's necessary. Oh yeah, pre-shipment pictures are good to have as well.

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:25 pm

bpt114 wrote:Many shipping centers such as the UPS Store offer pack-and-ship promises where they guarantee their packing meets the carrier's standards. A refund for the insured price of the item will be given if it's damaged during shipment. They only use new materials so for large expensive items the extra cost for a new box and packing materials should be worth it. Having a shipping center pack the item also allows you to show the sales clerk that the item works before it's packed. Just turn it on and let them see it light up. That's usually good enough for them. Ask them to make a note of this to protect you even more. Finally, provide them with proof of the insured price so there won't be any delay for filing a claim if it's necessary. Oh yeah, pre-shipment pictures are good to have as well.
Yeah, and most shipping centers don't know how to properly pack a synthesizer. It's not just something you can throw in there. While there is that guarantee, trusting them to pack it is increasing the chance of needing it instead of the board arriving properly, which is what is much better than getting a reimbursement and doing it all over again.
bonne chance

schmidtc

Post by schmidtc » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:41 pm

A double walled Trek bicycle box is found for free at most bike shops if you ask. These will fit most 88 key synths.

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:49 pm

schmidtc wrote:A double walled Trek bicycle box is found for free at most bike shops if you ask. These will fit most 88 key synths.
If this is true it's an awesome tip, thank you.

krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Where the Embers Fall

Post by krzeppa » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:05 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
th0mas wrote:I usually go overboard with a layer of foam, then cardboard, then put that box inside another box with a layer of packing material separating them. I try to only ship large stuff when I have a lot of extra cardboard around and never throw out a box. Also dont be afraid to make your own box or cut boxes down to the right size, just use enough tape to bind it all together.
+1
Agree....especially with the box within a box..gives it that extra protection when UPS, FedEx, USPS, etc...thow the box around like it is a toy or something.