Saving/Using Patches on Evoler

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Saving/Using Patches on Evoler

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:33 pm

This is for all the owners of an Evolver- how do you save your patches to make them easier to access when playing live? It seems like it's harder than some others where you can just type in the preset number. Hmm... :roll:
bonne chance

mikewelch7
Gear: DSI MEK, Rack
Manikin Memotron
Waldorf XTk
Wavestation
Roland JD-990, JD-800

Re: Saving/Using Patches on Evoler

Post by mikewelch7 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:56 pm

I perform live with the Evolver mono keyboard about once per month. I edit patches using Soundtower or directly onboard. I keep my patches grouped together in sequence that are required for a song. That way, I use the patch selector to move between patches.

One point of annoyance is that the Evo easily enters into parameter edit mode which then changes the value of that parameter rather than the patch. This occurs due to light touch of any of the parameter settings. When this happens, you'll find yourself stuck in a patch until you resolve it by hitting the Program button which brings you back to patch selection.

The Evo is a great performance synth due to its amazing sounds, but also the ease of modifying parameters on the fly. It also looks amazing on stage. I've had audience members photograph the instrument during performance more than once, and question me about it specifically after the show.

I have a Roland XP series board that I've also gigged with. It is handy if you know the number of all of the presets (I use a sticky pad with track numbers and associated patch IDs). However, I prefer the method of having presets arranged in sequence on the Evo.
DSI MEK, Rack, Mopho X4,
Waldorf XTk
Wavestation
Roland JD-990, JD-800, JP 8080, Kawai SX210, Moog Voyager
http://www.myspace.com/golsf

implant

Post by implant » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:12 pm

mikewelch7 wrote:I perform live with the Evolver mono keyboard about once per month. I edit patches using Soundtower or directly onboard. I keep my patches grouped together in sequence that are required for a song. That way, I use the patch selector to move between patches.
that is exactly how i did it as well for live play even had a cheat sheet just to be safe in case they switch up the set list.

Angstwulf

Post by Angstwulf » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:13 pm

I keep one bank empty and load it up with the software editor. I always plan on writing down the patches beforehand but somehow never get around to it, or I do and lose it. So I try not to have more patches than I can remember in my bean.

rharris07
Expert Member
Expert Member
Band: Ghost Fires, The Witch Family

Post by rharris07 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:37 pm

I second the cheat sheet. I don't perform live at all - but I try my hardest to do live takes without overdubbing when recording, so I keep a cheat sheet atop whatever synth or synths I'm recording with at that time...my evolver being no exception.

It is one beautiful synth, and now sitting directly underneath my Prophet '08 - woooh...you get the lights off and those two going at it, it is quite a pretty sight.

MEK | SixTrak | DrumTraks | Motif 8 | DW8000 | MicroKorg | EMX1 & ESX1 | Soviet TOM | Arp Quartet | SD-1 32V | Elka 490 | Indigo 2 | E6400 | Morpheus | SQ2 | DotCom Modular

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:53 am

Yeah, I just saved all the patches I use live to the start of bank 2.

aredj
Gear: A little bit of E-muAccessJomoxKorg -
Spectralis2!

Post by aredj » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:01 pm

This thread seems more geared towards a 'keyboadist in a band' but ill chime in anyway..

My live setup is centered around a commandstation which does all my patch changes.
When I call up a pattern, Program changes (which always get plugged in while I'm writing) go out to all attached synths. No need to remember anything... - but, the desktop evolver is cursed with a bad display, so naming patches is non exsistant. (I don't have/want a computer in the mix all the time) I gotta be careful to pay attention to where I save new patches.

boreg

Post by boreg » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:21 pm

Keeping track of patches on desktop Evolver is indeed a PITA.
I've made a blank patch sheet that you can print and write down the patch names on.
Here it is: http://www.sendspace.com/file/pea7z1