Why has no one made a midi controllable analog drum unit?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Why has no one made a midi controllable analog drum unit?

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:11 pm

More specifically:
Why has no one made a standalone analog drum "brain" with both memories AND midi CC control over all parameters???

This seems so glaringly absent in the current drum machine market and I can't believe that Jomox/MFB are the only ones to have gotten close (with the m-base/MFB-503 respectively).

It seems like manufactuers are stuck in this "drum machine" mindset, where, to have any sort of saving or external control, you also must include an in-built sequencer (xbase, machinedrum [sort of]). OR you are like Vermona, and make knob-laden drum boxes in the classic Simmons style, with nothing beyond rudimentary midi control and no memories...

Jomox have kind of touched on this a little with the M-base, but that's just one monophonic instrument; MFB have gotten the closest with the 503 whose instrumennt parameters are changed with "soft" knobs and whose parameters can be changed entirely with midi CCs. Unfortunately, there's not enough sounds or variation...

I would love to see a single unit rack module with the usual allotment of analog instruments a la DRM1, 4-6 parameter knobs, memories, and full midi control... This seems so simple and potentially inexpensive, so why haven't we seen it?
Do you even post on vse bro?

glassofwater

Re: Why has no one made a midi controllable analog drum unit

Post by glassofwater » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:16 pm

I'd get one if it sounded good enough!

Mush
Gear: I have all the gear I need.
Band: Mush Orchestra / Rasmus Nyåker

Post by Mush » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:24 pm

Jomox did this with the AirBase99. I have one.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:25 am

Mush wrote:Jomox did this with the AirBase99. I have one.
huh...interesting... if I knew about it I totally forgot. So that's exactly what I'm talking about, but that still doesn't cover all the analog bases-samples for rim, clap and cymbals would seem to leaves out the analog sounds I would want the most. Sigh...

loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Post by loungedumore » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:59 am

I use a dedicated DSI Tetra - env a little off for standerd analog drums , but hey ... makes it unique .
If it doesn't have to be true analog find yourself an old Waldorf rack attack same as the plugin , but in a 2U rack box .
BTW the 2 analog inputs can be used as triggers if I remember right ?

Some badly translated info . lol
http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... de/ra.html
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:12 am

Sir Ruff wrote: samples for rim, clap and cymbals would seem to leaves out the analog sounds I would want the most. Sigh...
I get what your saying, but I think there arent many parameters you can have for these sounds, as too much difference in parameters would make those sounds go out of character, ie wouldnt sound like a cymbal anymore...
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

Mush
Gear: I have all the gear I need.
Band: Mush Orchestra / Rasmus Nyåker

Post by Mush » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:19 am

I think it is a stupid idea BTW. A Modular G2 engine would be a lot more versitile. Why does it have to be analog??? The sounds won't be any better and leaving out hands-on control is a bit lame. Everyone wants to be able not only to eidt the sound fast, but also get a quick glance of the settings to be able to understand the instrument. It was the hands-on approach that brought back the analogs, not the sound. And if I take 4 oscillator pairs (1 square wave FMing and pitch-controlling the other squarewave) in a digital sphere it doesn't take much processing power, but it sounds exactly like an 808 cymbal/hi hat. Doing it in analog would make for a very limited set of useful controls and an expensive design.
A couple of these and the price would be hard to get below 1000$. So adding on that it could only sell low volumes would increase the price further...

The only way to do it with a decent street-price would be DSP. And no one except a small percentage of the nerds on this forum would care that it is NOT analog. But I rather have a machine with a sequencer anyway, as the thing with hardware is that I don't need a computer or other machine attached to use it. I can sit on the couch or a train and jam.

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:08 am

You could build a TR-9090?

mao
Gear: Andromeda - Voyager RME - VSynth XT - MonoEvolverKeyboard - NordRack2X - EX-8000 - Waldorf Microwave - Machinedrum - Monomachine

Post by mao » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:34 am

Alesis A6 Andromeda. MIX mode up to 16 sounds. Drive them by midi using different MidiNote or different MidiChannels. Analog kicks, snare, rim, hihat... blipblop...

check here my demos (listen to demo named MIX MODE) A6 demo MIX mode

A little bit expensive but true analog and well you can use it for something else (everything) too...

Sometimes I sequence the A6 using a MachineDrum... simply because I can't play a real drum...

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:15 pm

kuroichi wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote: samples for rim, clap and cymbals would seem to leaves out the analog sounds I would want the most. Sigh...
I get what your saying, but I think there arent many parameters you can have for these sounds, as too much difference in parameters would make those sounds go out of character, ie wouldnt sound like a cymbal anymore...
er, that's exactly the point-what's wrong with having enough variation to make new sounds? look at the Vermona DRM1-plenty of variation there.
Mush wrote:I think it is a stupid idea BTW. A Modular G2 engine would be a lot more versitile. Why does it have to be analog??? The sounds won't be any better and leaving out hands-on control is a bit lame. Everyone wants to be able not only to eidt the sound fast, but also get a quick glance of the settings to be able to understand the instrument. It was the hands-on approach that brought back the analogs, not the sound. And if I take 4 oscillator pairs (1 square wave FMing and pitch-controlling the other squarewave) in a digital sphere it doesn't take much processing power, but it sounds exactly like an 808 cymbal/hi hat. Doing it in analog would make for a very limited set of useful controls and an expensive design.
A couple of these and the price would be hard to get below 1000$. So adding on that it could only sell low volumes would increase the price further...

The only way to do it with a decent street-price would be DSP. And no one except a small percentage of the nerds on this forum would care that it is NOT analog. But I rather have a machine with a sequencer anyway, as the thing with hardware is that I don't need a computer or other machine attached to use it. I can sit on the couch or a train and jam.

So I guess you speak for everyone? You're right-it's a totally dumb idea. Thanks for posting. :roll:

To the other posters-I don't want an $$ synth that makes drum sounds, or a replica of another machine. The whole point is: nice, vintage analog drum sounds (that don't automatically sound like a 909) with lots of parameters in a small rack with memories and midi. simple.

Even something like the Tetra, but modified specifically for drum duties (suitable envelopes, filters) would fit the bill.

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:26 pm

Why would you suggest a 909, or something like a 909?? They had samples as well as analog circuitry.
bonne chance

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:33 pm

sequentialsoftshock wrote:Why would you suggest a 909, or something like a 909?? They had samples as well as analog circuitry.
the previous poster suggested the DIY 9090, which is just a 909 in a rack-my point was I DON'T want something that sounds only like a 909.

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:02 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:
Mush wrote:I think it is a stupid idea BTW.
So I guess you speak for everyone? You're right-it's a totally dumb idea. Thanks for posting. :roll:
now now gents, play nice.

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:26 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:
sequentialsoftshock wrote:Why would you suggest a 909, or something like a 909?? They had samples as well as analog circuitry.
the previous poster suggested the DIY 9090, which is just a 909 in a rack-my point was I DON'T want something that sounds only like a 909.
I was saying that toward them in your defense. ;)
bonne chance

mute

Post by mute » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:43 pm

if someone made something crazy cheap (100-150$ range), like a mattle synsonics drumpad, but added midi and a bit more editing control... I'd buy it in a second.