Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! (Like Darth Vader)

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
BlackGnosis
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: See signature image.
Band: Eridani V

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! (Like Darth Vader)

Post by BlackGnosis » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:36 am

*a little mood music

Ever have your all time life long buddy of a synthesizer all out die on you?

7 long wonder years of gigging, abuse, recording, and even used to knock some smchuck on their a*s. My poor little microKORG has finally succumbed to hardware failure. at least it can be repaired...but....in my financial situation thats going to be many months of saving.... I write and do everything on it before i take it on any other instrument....its been with me a long time... It was my huge step up from a Yammie PSR-3 and the Cassie CTK-501 in sound and was truly my gateway into synthesis...

I used it in almost everything I did anything in my studio....anyone else have a synth like that? and do you have a backup in case it fails or goes under?
Ashe37 wrote:I find it funny that you're a guitar pedal snob and yet don't own a single analog synth.

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Re: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:39 am

What needs repaired? I feel super inspired by both the MEK and Pro~One. If the latter were to go out, the Evolver could kind of do it, and I also have access to a spare Prophet. :)
Hope yours is up and running again soon ;)
bonne chance

BlackGnosis
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Post by BlackGnosis » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:46 am

sequentialsoftshock wrote:What needs repaired? I feel super inspired by both the MEK and Pro~One. If the latter were to go out, the Evolver could kind of do it, and I also have access to a spare Prophet. :)
Hope yours is up and running again soon ;)
its something that I've notice develope over time, mainyly the final amp board and the volume pot were going bad quick, nothing that ordering some parts and scalding my fingertips with a nice soldering iron wouldnt fix, but still,. I need to find out the extend of the damage... I know its definitely in the final amp as you could hear it play stuff while it got more and more feint then suddenly a fizzle and nothing....
Ashe37 wrote:I find it funny that you're a guitar pedal snob and yet don't own a single analog synth.

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad

Re: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! (Like Darth Vad

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:58 am

That sucks. At least it's a newer design, so getting the parts shouldn't be a manhunt and you'll be able to install 'em yourself. Good luck! :mrgreen:
bonne chance

BlackGnosis
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by BlackGnosis » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:00 am

sequentialsoftshock wrote:That sucks. At least it's a newer design, so getting the parts shouldn't be a manhunt and you'll be able to install 'em yourself. Good luck! :mrgreen:
If all else fails I could always buy one off an ingrate and turn the old one into a MK desktop mod with custom circuitry.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:16 am

If it's that crucial, why not sell, oh, I don't know, your Virus Ti to fund a new one? With the funds from that you could buy about 5 or 6...
Do you even post on vse bro?

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:29 am

Yes, it's never good when a trusted tool keels over, but at least MicroKorgs are cheap compared to, oh, an OB-8 or something.

As for fixing it yourself, I bet it's made from about three surface mount custom ICs and some crazy Japanese magic. If you solder it, it'll turn to ash and haunt you, forever playing the intro to a Killers song. Your deathbed cry will be "Mr Brightside!" and some fat American megalith of a film-maker will play you in a black & white bio-pic, giving cinema audiences something to puzzle over for the next 100 years. Your MK has sacrificed itself for your immortality, at the expense of its own anonimity.

Go out and buy something else.

Dubersive

Post by Dubersive » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:12 pm

I second Nathanscribe's sentiment.

Replace it with an UltraNova and tell us how it is :)
[ Cwejman S1 MK2 / Korg MS-20 / SQ-10 | TR-606 | Eurorack stuff ]

Zack McConnell

Post by Zack McConnell » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:21 pm

Damn. I love my MK and I completely understand where you're coming from, my condolences to you. :(

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:47 pm

I should also add, I have 2 Junos (6 & 60), 2 Teiscos (S-100P) and 2 Korg Lambdas. Don't ask why. The Juno 6 was my first proper synth almost 20 years ago, so I'd feel lost without at least one knocking about.

Zack McConnell

Post by Zack McConnell » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:04 pm

nathanscribe wrote:I should also add, I have 2 Junos (6 & 60), 2 Teiscos (S-100P) and 2 Korg Lambdas. Don't ask why.
Who would!? That's an AWESOME setup! =D>

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:22 pm

Zack McConnell wrote:Who would!?
Because there are some people on here who might say it's redundant to have two Junos. Not saying this is how I feel though. It's usually pretty good practice to double what you can if it's something you use. Never know when a vintage instrument will fail on ya. You also never know when, if ever, you'll find some of these chips. :o
bonne chance

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:09 pm

It wasn't planned like that. I bought the 6 in 1991, and when in early '95 I spotted the 60 in a local shop, I bought it too. I told myself I'd sell the 6 but it never happened.

This was back in the days before eBay, mind, and all we had was the local free ad paper, shops, and the back pages of magazines. Oh, and actual physical notice boards, which is how I found the 6. It was also back before I had multi-track recording, and it was all done live to stereo. Two Junos never seemed like redundancy, it was practical.

I do agree with SSS though; these days it might be useful to have a slightly broken unit for spares if your working example is something you'd not want to lose. Didn't Vangelis used to have 8 CS-80s or something? Or was that Stevie Wonder?

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:56 pm

sequentialsoftshock wrote: You also never know when, if ever, you'll find some of these chips. :o
Actually some synth tech's keep a small limited supply of chips, usually taken from dead or broken synths that come into their workshops. But once the main IC goes, your synth or drum machine is only as useful as a doorstop. My tech supplied me with some spare NEC µPD-444C CMOS RAM chips for my TB-303's.

@Nath, yeah the Juno-6 was my first proper synth as well back in '84 (bought it off my music teacher at high school as they were getting in a DX7 to replace it), a few years later in '87 i got a Juno-60 for about £250 that was advertised in a local newspaper. It was Vangelis who had 8 CS-80's he bought them for use as spares.
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:17 pm

Syn303 wrote:
sequentialsoftshock wrote: You also never know when, if ever, you'll find some of these chips. :o
Actually some synth tech's keep a small limited supply of chips, usually taken from dead or broken synths that come into their workshops. But once the main IC goes, your synth or drum machine is only as useful as a doorstop. My tech supplied me with some spare NEC µPD-444C CMOS RAM chips for my TB-303's.

@Nath, yeah the Juno-6 was my first proper synth as well back in '84 (bought it off my music teacher at high school as they were getting in a DX7 to replace it), a few years later in '87 i got a Juno-60 for about £250 that was advertised in a local newspaper. It was Vangelis who had 8 CS-80's he bought them for use as spares.
Yeah, luckily I have a tech that keeps a lot of spare chips, but unless you have a tech, it's hard to find online. Vintageplanet.nl has a lot, but not everything. I got pretty lucky here because the guy I take my stuff to owns about fifty boards of his own (including Prophet 10, 1, and 5, OBXa/8, Memorymoog etc) and does work with touring bands as well so he has a lot of experience and spare parts.
bonne chance