Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! (Like Darth Vader)

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
BlackGnosis
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: See signature image.
Band: Eridani V

Re: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! (Like Darth Vad

Post by BlackGnosis » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:17 pm

nathanscribe wrote:Yes, it's never good when a trusted tool keels over, but at least MicroKorgs are cheap compared to, oh, an OB-8 or something.

As for fixing it yourself, I bet it's made from about three surface mount custom ICs and some crazy Japanese magic. If you solder it, it'll turn to ash and haunt you, forever playing the intro to a Killers song. Your deathbed cry will be "Mr Brightside!" and some fat American megalith of a film-maker will play you in a black & white bio-pic, giving cinema audiences something to puzzle over for the next 100 years. Your MK has sacrificed itself for your immortality, at the expense of its own anonimity.

Go out and buy something else.
Lawl, How about I nab a MS2k like I've been wanting to for a while.

Dubersive wrote:I second Nathanscribe's sentiment.

Replace it with an UltraNova and tell us how it is :)
I'll get one later :P I use vocoders quite a bit anyways.
Ashe37 wrote:I find it funny that you're a guitar pedal snob and yet don't own a single analog synth.

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:35 pm

I had a Moog Source that was my go-to instrument for everything. I wrote with it and my tracks were created from the ground-up with it. I set it up for a really big gig over two years ago and it was dead. The dreaded Crazy Source Syndrome. Eventually got it fixed but it was never the same. Did not sound right anymore. Voltage was wonky. Sad. I loved that synth and have not been able to replace it properly. The Little Phatty is a close second, but not "just right". I still mourn it.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:34 am

nathanscribe wrote:
...Didn't Vangelis used to have 8 CS-80s or something? Or was that Stevie Wonder?
It was Stevie Wonder, only he really only owned two. His techs used to just move them around the studio when he wasn't looking, which was pretty much all the time....

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Cumulus » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:37 am

OK, I know that was terrible. I really love Stevie Wonder but I just have this mean streak. I think I'm really an insult comic trapped in a man's body.

Back on topic (and please forgive my tasteless joke)...I had that happen with my MiniMoog. I has just convinced my wife how awesome it was and she wanted me to show it to the fellow who lives down the street who used to play piano a bit so we all went out to the garage where I had it set up temporarily and, after a short presentation and nspeech by yours truly extolling the virtues of analog v.s digital and synths vs. ROMplers and several other fascinating points I turned it on and ...nothing. It just didn't work.

That really put me in my place.

Zack McConnell

Post by Zack McConnell » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:51 am

Cumulus wrote:
nathanscribe wrote:
...Didn't Vangelis used to have 8 CS-80s or something? Or was that Stevie Wonder?
It was Stevie Wonder, only he really only owned two. His techs used to just move them around the studio when he wasn't looking, which was pretty much all the time....
HAHAHAHAHAHA! :lol: I'm going to h**l anyway so here goes, what goes "Bring bring, AAAAAAARGH!!"?

Stevie Wonder answering the iron. :3

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:05 am

ahem...

EmptySet
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: MS20, x0xb0x, JV-1080, JX-3P, JX-8P(PG800), Juno Stage, VFX-SD, VL-1, ARP Omni I, D-50, DW6000

Post by EmptySet » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:06 am

Don't want to sound like I'm making light of your situation, but aren't microkorgs <200 on the used market nowadays? It probably wouldn't take long to reach that with a tech.

BlackGnosis
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: See signature image.
Band: Eridani V

Post by BlackGnosis » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:27 am

EmptySet wrote:Don't want to sound like I'm making light of your situation, but aren't microkorgs <200 on the used market nowadays? It probably wouldn't take long to reach that with a tech.
I'm that broke and have considered putting the snow on the market ;-;
Ashe37 wrote:I find it funny that you're a guitar pedal snob and yet don't own a single analog synth.

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Cumulus » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:00 pm

I have that Eddie Murphy special on an old YHS tape. My dad got mad when I taped it over the Buddy Hacket HBO special he had taped.

OK, BACK ON TOPIC...

I would say to scout the pawn shops and Craigslist ads. I got my MicroKORG very cheaply from this magical pawn shop I requent where they sometimes don't do a very good job of pricing their musical gear. I have bought a few items there and resold them for what was still a good price and managed to make some profit.

The most important thing are to be patient and viligant. Every piece of gear shows up on the used market eventually adn there weer so many MK's sold that there will doubtless be a ton out there for sale at any given time.

Just tuck a fiver away here and there. Good luck.

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:37 am

im sorry to hear that, i feel like total s**t whenever i find just about the smallest malfunction on one of my synths. nothing screws up your day, or week, like that. i hope you get it fixed soon.

PS i must admit when i first read the title of the thread, a thought rushed thru my head that your Moog Modular fell down the stairs and hit Steinway B on the way.. which in turn ended up in the pool .. :lol: ;)

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

skweeegor

Post by skweeegor » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:47 am

Why is Stevie Wonder always smiling?

Cause he doesn't know he's black.

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:21 am

clusterchord wrote:im sorry to hear that, i feel like total s**t whenever i find just about the smallest malfunction on one of my synths. nothing screws up your day, or week, like that.
Me too.

JohnTron
Gear: Cowbell

Post by JohnTron » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:46 am

I'd ditch the #4 card (vintage synths?) installed in the JV-1080 to fund the repair or buy another MK. Depends on how much you've used either one on your tracks. That's my 2 cents.

This conversation reminded me how of much I frickin love "Higher Ground." That song is money.
"In the end, we'll agree, we'll accept, we'll immortalize."
Jon Anderson - Yes