What was the Deepest Synth you ever bought?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MV8800, Sub37, Integra 7, Mininova, Fusion, Biscuit, TimeFactor, SP-555, SP-404, SPD-SX
Band: Blavatsky

Re: What was the Deepest Synth you ever bought?

Post by blavatsky » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:30 pm

Alesis Fusion - FM, VA, sampler, Physical Modeling, big mod matrix, song mode, mix mode, arpeggios, 80gig HD for patches/sf2 , 8 analog inputs, etc...crappy interface keeps me from digging too much but dedicated users can delve almost endlessly into this thing. I'm lazy and it works well as a big sound module/master controller keyboard.

Virus TI - lots of knobs, but also lots of menus. Deep mod matrix , lots of OSC choices (grain, formant, wavetable), great effects, great filters etc.

Evolver and Blofeld also mentioned were very deep, too deep for me given the limited interfaces (though great sounds)

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:37 pm

1. Yamaha EX5 (expandend synthesis)
2. Yamaha SY 99
3. Emu command station
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:49 pm

When you say 'deepest' synth do you mean:
- most modulation possibilities? ie many different means of expression.
-->Andromeda, Matrix-12/Xpander, Clavia Nord Modular

- deepest menus? -->Wavestation

- the most functionality in one package? -->Kurzweil V.A.S.T 2k--, Korg OASYS etc

In whatever case 'deep' seems to mean a big learning curve IMHO.

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:51 pm

garranimal wrote:When you say 'deepest' synth do you mean:
- most modulation possibilities? ie many different means of expression.
-->Andromeda, Matrix-12/Xpander, Clavia Nord Modular

- deepest menus? -->Wavestation

- the most functionality in one package? -->Kurzweil V.A.S.T 2k--, Korg OASYS etc

In whatever case 'deep' seems to mean a big learning curve IMHO.
To be honest this thread was inspired by another: What was the cheapest synth you ever bought?

Having said that and after making my bed I better sleep in it so what I suggest are the following:

1. Most synths are never learnt completely IMO, you do with it as long as it interests you then you either recycle or put it aside. I used to try and learn every aspect of my synth before I decided to recycle or put aside. Now, this is not always true. If the synth is deep yet accessible enough to keep me interested, such as an ARP 2600, then I'll keep it. The Karma borders on that. As a foot note, I did sell my ARP for money needs and regret it.

2. You can have a lot of functionality in one package but it doesn't have to be deep for doing so.

3. A big learning curve certainly implies 'deepness'.

In the end, 'deep' is most subjective. It could be everything about the synth and your interactions with it.

One persons deepness may be another's shallowness.

Carry on...
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:03 pm

Blofeld, and to be honest I loved the interface, too. Everything made sense to me. I know it's not for everyone but for me it was super quick to imagine a sound and have it created.

I eventually sold it due to build issues (failing encoder) and some weird sound issues where in multimode one sound would affect the other in weird ways depending on modulation, FM settings, etc. The other thing it's missing (although I understand with the ridiculously cheap price point it's moved to now) is more outputs.

The sampling ability on the thing seemed like it was really going to make it the end-all be-all synth but that was the one place where the useability and interface totally failed me. Made a few patches with the editor, had problems on the usb transfer, didn't sound the same on the blofeld as it did in the editor.. I didn't spend much longer with those features before deciding to sell it.

druzz
Band: November's Ego

Post by druzz » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:22 pm

the Nord modular , actually you make it as deep as you want to it be

and also
DX7
obheirheim amtrix 6r
DSi evolver

vcs3
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: BitOne,DX7II, M-1000, ESQm, Procussion, NanoSynth, VL1, P2500, K5000R, FS1r, JX-3P, Ju-60,HR-16, CZ1000, RX-5,K2600S, Nord G1r, G2, XL-7, Shuthri-1

Post by vcs3 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:49 pm

Clavia Nord Modula G2
th Kurzweil K2600 is also very deep.

krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Where the Embers Fall

Post by krzeppa » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:16 pm

Virus TI2 and Supernova

Ry-Fi
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Ion, MKS-30, MKS-50, SQ-1+ 32-voice, TX81Z

Post by Ry-Fi » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:05 pm

Alesis Ion, due in part to its general architecture, but owing a lot to its 12-entry mod matrix with 36 mod sources and 78 possible destinations!

Shreddie
Gear: Alesis Andromeda, Fusion 8HD: ART SGX Nightbass SE: Kawai K5000s: Yamaha A3000 V2, EX7, FS1R, PSS-480 (Don't laugh, it rocks!) and 4 planks.

Post by Shreddie » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:36 am

All the synths I own are mentioned in this thread... In order of depth from least deep to most... In terms of scope for creating sounds...

Yamaha FS1R... Impenetrable interface but not the deepest synth.

Yamaha EX7 (baby brother of the EX5 someone mentioned). Certainly interesting and it's possible to get very creative but it has limited depth... Still deeper than many other synths I have played with. I like the interface, much nicer to use than the Fusion, deeper in some respects but not in others.

Alesis Fusion. Astonishingly deep for what is at heart a sample based synth, the mod matrices (there's two, one for the synth engines, one for effects) make it semi-modular in some respects. Add excellent FM, ok VA and c**p PM on top of it's sampling and it'll keep anyone busy for years. A real powerhouse. Certainly not a synth for the casual/inexperienced synthesist despite it's relatively innocent looking facade. Thanks to it's sheer power and versatility, if I was to own just one synth, it'd be the Fusion... And strange as this may sound, it's not my favourite of those I own, that one is next up.

Alesis Andromeda... Deeper than any of the previous synths by quite a margin... It's a monster... Nuff said!

Kawai K5000s (Rackmount version mentioned earlier)... Deeper than a deep thing that's been buried somewhere very deep! It take many times longer to create a patch on it than any other synth I own... Yes ,there are alot of menus but it's menu system is one of the best I've used and tries to help you out with more complex procedures. I got mine shortly before I got the Andromeda... And while I'm rather confident with the Andromeda, I still feel like I've barely scratched the surface with the K5k... It's a very special synth in one important way that none of my others are... What makes it special is the organic way in which it responds to your playing as long as you have programmed it well... It's a strange synth for me, one that crosses the divide between other synths (that I see almost like tools, separate from my body) and expressive 'real' instruments that become part of you when you play. In that sense I feel it's in a league of one.

Oh, and I believe it has in excess of 2000 parameters per 'source', up to six of which can comprise a patch. Can anyone else name another synth that has up to 12,000 parameters per patch?

Anyone?!

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:30 am

SY77 hands down.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:35 am

Ensoniq VFX

followed by the Blofeld... then my M3 (which i wish had all its mod routings in one page)
Last edited by Ashe37 on Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:00 pm

Another Nord Modular G2 owner here.

The only thing deeper I've used is a Kyma Capybara or Max/MSP.

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:26 pm

it's not a synth, but my rhodes is 34".
FM8 is only 1/16" at most.

spookyman
Gear: cheezy machines and some cheap analog stuff

Post by spookyman » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:38 pm

Yep...my OB-X is not bad too...56 cm deep (something like 22'')

And in therm of programmability, i think that my TG77 and EX5 are enough deep. I'm happy to have the manual...
It is much easier to be a good equipment purchaser than to be a great musician.