Rank synths based on best presets

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Omniant
Gear: V Synth, Little Phatty, Nord Lead 2, MO 6, Ultranova, VST's
Band: Novelectro

Rank synths based on best presets

Post by Omniant » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:15 pm

Just curious what everyone's favorite synths are purely from a presets standpoint. What can you just plug in and rock out on immediately and sound fantastic on?

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Rank synths based on best presets

Post by Mooger5 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:19 pm

Wavestation and the Ski Jam preset.
Herrare umanum est.

krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Where the Embers Fall

Post by krzeppa » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:27 pm

I can just switch on my VIrus TI2 and go to town. There are some really good presets on that thing, but then again there are like a million to choose from so there should be some good ones in there. I also like many of the presets on my Supernova, but it depends what I am doing with them. Some of them do need some minor adjustments. Also, my MO8 isn't half bad either. It has some decent presets on it.

On the other hand, I do not like the presets on my Micron or ESQ-1. I always have to make my own on these two synths.

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:37 pm

The Evolver is loaded with a lot of cool presets.
bonne chance

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:44 pm

There's no ranking, they all suck equally! :lol:
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, DX7, TX7, Juno-106, AX60, Pro One, S1000, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:54 pm

I've had tons of gear over the years, but I never really remember presets because I always avoid using them hahaha
soundcloud.com/vectron

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:59 pm

Presets suck, go program your own sounds instead. Unless your really s**t at it and make excuses to use presets all the time.
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:04 pm

It was the presets that made me fall in love with the D-50. Although a LOT of filler c**p, there are some truly great patches in the factory banks.

But on the other synths I have played, the presets have been mostly awful.
Syn303 wrote:Presets suck, go program your own sounds instead. Unless your really s**t at it and make excuses to use presets all the time.
Yeah, the fun lies in making your own sounds, regardless of synth. That is originality.

krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Where the Embers Fall

Post by krzeppa » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:11 pm

I don't agree with those who say that presets suck. Many do suck, but to say that ALL presets suck seems a little harsh. I would definitely say that quite a few presets suck. There are times, however, when I find a pretty good preset that spurs on something creative. I end up morphing and changing the sound, but it is the preset that initially put some kind of idea into my head. It is definitely a good starting point.
Last edited by krzeppa on Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:13 pm

Syn303 wrote:Presets suck
not always...
sequentialsoftshock wrote:The Evolver is loaded with a lot of cool presets.
agreed. my poly evolver & prophet 08 have both had fantastic starting points for me to mess with.

Omniant

Post by Omniant » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:17 pm

Off Topic
There are times when I find a semi-decent preset that spurs on something creative. I end up morphing and changing the sound, but it is that preset that initially put some kind of idea into my head.
I completely agree. I'm just not the type of musician that has a sound already in his head that I need to figure out how to create on a synth. I'm more the type that can figure out how to create a song based on a sound that is already there. I always seem to have too short of an attention span to create really great sounds myself.

Omniant

Post by Omniant » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:18 pm

Quote fail
:(

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:20 pm

Yeah, I'm definitely pretty old school here making my own sounds on Pro~Ones and whatnot, so I was weary of even storing my own presets let alone a factory set on my Evolver, but it actually has some pretty amazing ones. I've used a few as starting points for some things I may not have otherwise though of. On a board like that you really gotta explore some of the sounds to really hear it's capability. It's just different than looking on a piece of paper where you can route something.
space6oy wrote:agreed. my poly evolver & prophet 08 have both had fantastic starting points for me to mess with.
If you have it, check out the preset #4 in Bank 2 on the Evolver. On the MEK, it's the same exact preset used in an Amtrak safety video that always plays at 30th Street station :lol:
Also, the preset "Heavyweight" seems to have been edited a bit and used in the Metric song "Stadium Love". The Evolver is all over that album as is the Pro~One...
bonne chance

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Post by rhino » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:29 pm

CS_TBL wrote:There's no ranking, they all suck equally! :lol:

#1 :lol:

I think factory programmers create tons of over-the-top sounds for themselves and dump their rejects into the presets just for giggles. Maybe they even have a 'random boring patch' software that cranks them out automaticly.

"Let's see: give me a dozen near-identical strings, some stale analog brass, a couple of SFX UFO-style noises nobody will ever use... and oh yes... A s**t-load of DX7 pianos each with ONE parameter changed ONE click..."
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

danbroad
Gear: TSC4 P12 NI9

Post by danbroad » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:56 pm

I'm not afraid of using presets if I want to - doesn't matter to me how a particular sound came about, as long as its musically useful to me. Still, the beauty of a board like the Evolver is that what I end up playing has no sonic resemblance to the original... that's what those knobs are for!

Presets are at their best when each shows off a different, perhaps not-so-straightforward feature of the synth itself. That way, I'll listen and think 'wow' - how did they get this monosynth to do that? And then I'll start deconstructing it, one osc/ADSR/LFO at a time, until I've figured out the cleverness behind it all. A much better teaching exercise than reading a manual. [Although, I must give props to Anu Kirk for his wonderful .pdf, and to Carbon111 for hosting it.]

You're right about hundred identical brasses and moog-esque leads.One good saw brass patch is enough for any synth. You can have too many patches - even if many of them are good - take the Virus TI for instance. 4000 factory presets means I treated it like a ROMpler a great deal of the time. I'd rather have 8 patches and 100 knobs than vice versa.

However, best patch ever is the OvertureCK on the Virus C. Awesome swoosh saw padness. Lovely!
Less words more noise