Kawai K3 - Opinions?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
0e0
Gear: Roland MKS-50, Juno-106, JV-1080
Yamaha A4000, SU700, S80 (w/PLG150-VL), SY 77, SY 22
Oberheim Matrix-1000
Kawai K3m, K4
Zoom ST-224
Band: 0=0

Re: Kawai K3 - Opinions?

Post by 0e0 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:53 am

I really love the sound. I mostly use it for poly analog simulation..the filter is amazing..I even enjoy the chorus.

I might try to make some ethnic inspired ppg sounds with it..

maybe even a DX7-esque electric piano.

I wrote a sysex editor in jesusonic (for reaper) that really helps with programming and adds some more functionality (extra software lfos).

until i get a dedicated polysynth with SSM filters this one will do great.

gs

Post by gs » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:26 pm

I love the K3 sound so much, I got a K3M rack to accompany the K3 board, which when you hook them up you can get a 12-voice polysynth out of it (using the 'overflow' programming option) -- in much the same way that Roland put together two JX8P's to create the JX-10/MKS-70. And the K3 sounds similar to the Roland too, those same dark sountrack-y strings and highly polished analog brass. Nice screaming leads and deep sub-bass can be dialed in, too. I just ignore most of the digital "instrument-emulating" waves and stick with sawtooth, sine, pulse & square, treating it as a DCO poly. And I use a Behringer BCR2000 to control both synths. So that's like having a JX-10 with the PG800!! The SSM-2044 filters sound better to my ears than the Roland filters, too. Nice way to get a "JX-10" type setup for cheap. I paid $250 for both units and $80 for the BCR2000.
Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Korg Z1, Alesis Ion, Alesis QS8.2, Kawai K3M

tom Cadillac
Gear: FS1R, EPS, JP8000, Kaos pad, Ineko, SP606, Mopho, MP7 and so on....
Band: Bipolarbass

Post by tom Cadillac » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:19 pm

These must be a real bargain at the moment - I got a k3m for about $100 recently - immaculate condition with memory cartridge. Really well built and easy to program. Haven"t really enjoyed the sound yet though.
Two Qs...Is it easy to use a midi controller with it? I'v got a kenton control freak. Is it worth exploring the user defined waveform part? I'm not so happy with the digital waveform sounds and moved backed to using raw analog for what I was doing. Oh and how to get the best out of the filter? I read somewhere about a mod where you can input a sound through it and turn it into a filter box?
"On the following day , the sorcery undespairingly continued: I changed my series, chose other sequences, cut other lengths, spliced different progressions, and hoped afresh for a miracle in sound." (Stockhausen)

gs

Post by gs » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:01 am

tom Cadillac wrote:Two Qs...Is it easy to use a midi controller with it? I'v got a kenton control freak.
Yes - As I've explained above, I use the BCR2000, so you can certainly use a Control Freak (I used to own one and used it on a DW8000). Do a search in the K3 user group on Yahoo, and chances are somebody's already programmed the Control Freak for the K3. That's where I found the BCR2000 template for the K3. Saved me a lot of programming work.
tom Cadillac wrote:Is it worth exploring the user defined waveform part?
I haven't done it yet, but it might be. You can, for instance, use this to simulate a Moog or Oberheim sawtooth wave, or get close to it. I'll be checking out that function myself in the near future.
tom Cadillac wrote:Oh and how to get the best out of the filter? I read somewhere about a mod where you can input a sound through it and turn it into a filter box?
Well there's no audio input on the K3 or K3M, so the mod must involve hacking into the circuitry to bypass the PCM oscillator section. Probably not a mod for the faint-of-heart.
Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Korg Z1, Alesis Ion, Alesis QS8.2, Kawai K3M

tom Cadillac
Gear: FS1R, EPS, JP8000, Kaos pad, Ineko, SP606, Mopho, MP7 and so on....
Band: Bipolarbass

Post by tom Cadillac » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:57 am

Thanks!- its a synth I really need to explore more - drawing a traditional waveform seems a good idea. Will probably have more bite I hope!
"On the following day , the sorcery undespairingly continued: I changed my series, chose other sequences, cut other lengths, spliced different progressions, and hoped afresh for a miracle in sound." (Stockhausen)