Slim Phatty

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Sir Nose
Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

Re: Slim Phatty

Post by Sir Nose » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:00 pm

Neonlights84 wrote:Does anyone know if the LFO on the Little/Slim Phatty is analog?
The lfo is digitally generated.
Funkadelic wrote: nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty

Neonlights84
Gear: Moog Minimoog Model D
Behringer DeepMind12
Novation UltraNova
Korg MS20 mini
Korg EMX-1
Band: Winter's Glow

Post by Neonlights84 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:09 pm

Sir Nose wrote:
Neonlights84 wrote:Does anyone know if the LFO on the Little/Slim Phatty is analog?
The lfo is digitally generated.

Thanks Sir! Very cool sounds there as well. I wonder why these went this route with the LP...

From my understanding then, the envelopes and filter are discrete analog.
Gear: Novation Ultranova, Korg Monotribe, Korg Electribe EMX-1, Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy, Lexicon MX200.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:44 pm

Digitally generated LFOs have the exact same effect as analogue ones and can be synced to midi clock. And they're cheaper to produce.

I don't think the LP envelopes are analogue either, I have a feeling they're digital as well. But if you can't tell the difference then it doesn't matter.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:09 pm

Agreed, I'd actually rather a digital LFO for syncing benefits since there'd be virtually zero difference in the end sound between the two anyway.

All I know is those Little Phatty's are great synths, I've played both the Voyager and LP in stores a few times and you know what? I'd rather a LP any day, it has a marvelous grunt to it that you just don't get with the Voyager. Though they're both quality synths.

Sir Nose
Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

Post by Sir Nose » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:15 pm

The phatties do have analog envelopes, discete analog I am not sure of. I would guess not.
Funkadelic wrote: nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty

theglyph

Post by theglyph » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:59 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
I don't think the LP envelopes are analogue either, I have a feeling they're digital as well. But if you can't tell the difference then it doesn't matter.

The LP's envelopes are in fact analogue but as you said It only matter's how it sounds and right now I can't wait for the Harvestman Double Andore digital envelope. The one thing that I wish had been implemented in analog in the LP is the Noise source. It's works great but I'm a bit of a prude when it comes to noise and it's only available as a modulation source!
Eurorack modular, Voyager w/351,MF101.102.104.105B, LP Stage, Juno-106, Siel DK600, Paia 9700, Nord Electro 2, Ensoniq MR76