Slim Phatty

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
rharris07
Expert Member
Expert Member
Band: Ghost Fires, The Witch Family

Re: Slim Phatty

Post by rharris07 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:01 pm

How is he controlling the LP with his iPhone?

MEK | SixTrak | DrumTraks | Motif 8 | DW8000 | MicroKorg | EMX1 & ESX1 | Soviet TOM | Arp Quartet | SD-1 32V | Elka 490 | Indigo 2 | E6400 | Morpheus | SQ2 | DotCom Modular

organsymphony
Gear: an assortment of various friction idiophones
Band: Parrot Fashion

Post by organsymphony » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:05 pm

rharris07 wrote:How is he controlling the LP with his iPhone?
I don't think he is. I think its just a bit of placement for their new filtatron app.

You could control it via touchOSC though if you had the midi connections of the slim phatty running through a computer.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:25 pm

A little bit of news.

-- NovaMusik lists rack ears as a $25 option, wood sides for $89. They expect stock to arrive first week of November.

-- On SonicState's podcast this week one of the contributors was beta testing one, he mentioned it's really small. That made me look at the pics some more and you can see the knobs are much closer together than on the LP, also different/smaller buttons.

-- Moog has the manual online. Looks like filter pole selection is now on a patch-by-patch basis (good), it had been global on the LP (was this changed for v2?).
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:48 pm

meatballfulton wrote: -- On SonicState's podcast this week one of the contributors was beta testing one, he mentioned it's really small. That made me look at the pics some more and you can see the knobs are much closer together than on the LP, also different/smaller buttons.
interesting point. i hadn't even noticed - I just assumed it was the front panel from the LP keyboard unit.

the smaller form factor makes this an even more appealing monosynth imo.

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:46 pm

StepLogik wrote:
meatballfulton wrote: -- On SonicState's podcast this week one of the contributors was beta testing one, he mentioned it's really small. That made me look at the pics some more and you can see the knobs are much closer together than on the LP, also different/smaller buttons.
interesting point. i hadn't even noticed - I just assumed it was the front panel from the LP keyboard unit.

the smaller form factor makes this an even more appealing monosynth imo.
The more I look into it, the more I like it. Can't wait to see one up close.
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

Richard Gear

Post by Richard Gear » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:12 pm

I am attracted by the Slim Phatty, but I don't even know if it's really good at what I'd like it to be : evoking the psychedelic early Moog sounds? In other words, more Bibio/Tycho/BoC/Perrey-alike than dubstep-alike, with all respect due.
Many people praised its flexibility and powerful bass sound, but what about the mids? The new SEM is really satisfying at this. What about the SP?

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:41 pm

Searched for this thread to guage a good review of the sound of slimphatty with the mind of getting one! never again will I look at this board before I want to buy a synth! ha

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:33 pm

zoomtheline wrote:Searched for a review of the sound of slimphatty
It hasn't shipped so noone here has heard it yet ;) though all info so far seems to indicate it's just a Little Phatty in module form.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:43 pm

oh, I guess that figures why it's just bitching going on then instead of actually talking about pro's and con's of it.

I do love this place really!

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:10 am

hrm, slim phatty for 800, 1 voice, or DSI tetra with 4 voices for 800.... or Mopho with keys for 800... hrm

Sir Nose
Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

Post by Sir Nose » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:30 am

Or the SEM with midi and patch panel for over a grand. 1 voice no keyboard or the lancet or the dark energy

There are choices :D
Funkadelic wrote: nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:57 am

what exactly does a voyager have that a little phatty doesn't?

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:03 am

Kidney05 wrote:what exactly does a voyager have that a little phatty doesn't?
Plenty. More oscillators for one.
bonne chance

Neonlights84
Gear: Moog Minimoog Model D
Behringer DeepMind12
Novation UltraNova
Korg MS20 mini
Korg EMX-1
Band: Winter's Glow

Post by Neonlights84 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:29 pm

sequentialsoftshock wrote:
Kidney05 wrote:what exactly does a voyager have that a little phatty doesn't?
Plenty. More oscillators for one.

Yeah. Here's a rundown. I would love a Voyager, but the LP does some stuff the Voyager does not.

Voyager: 3 variable waveshape oscillators
dual lowpass/variable bandpass filter
knobs, knobs, knobs, and a touchpad
A mod bus for external pedals

Little Phatty: 2 variable waveshape oscillators
single low pass filter, switchable between 1,2,3 and 4 poles
programmable arpeggiator
Gear: Novation Ultranova, Korg Monotribe, Korg Electribe EMX-1, Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy, Lexicon MX200.

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:16 pm

Did you mean to imply the Voyager doesn't have the switchable 1-4 filter poles? It does. You can do that by using the OS.

Also, the Voyager is a stereo synth. That gets seldom mentioned in these discussions. I'm not sure what type of LFO routing options the LP has, but I'm under the impression they aren't as extensive. Does the LP have any sort of pot mapping? You can do pretty weird stuff with that thing while adjust the controls real time. There's also FM on the Voyager.