Slim Phatty

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Neonlights84
Gear: Moog Minimoog Model D
Behringer DeepMind12
Novation UltraNova
Korg MS20 mini
Korg EMX-1
Band: Winter's Glow

Re: Slim Phatty

Post by Neonlights84 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:39 pm

nvbrkr wrote:Did you mean to imply the Voyager doesn't have the switchable 1-4 filter poles? It does. You can do that by using the OS.

Also, the Voyager is a stereo synth. That gets seldom mentioned in these discussions. I'm not sure what type of LFO routing options the LP has, but I'm under the impression they aren't as extensive. Does the LP have any sort of pot mapping? You can do pretty weird stuff with that thing while adjust the controls real time. There's also FM on the Voyager.

I did imply that, and that was because I was not aware that the voyager could do it too. The LFO routing is fairly good, but thats just my opinion. So i guess the only thing the LP does that the voyager doesn't is the arpeggiator. Unless the voyager does that too...heh.
Gear: Novation Ultranova, Korg Monotribe, Korg Electribe EMX-1, Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy, Lexicon MX200.

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:50 pm

Oh, you can tune the LP yourself just by using the OS, right? That's a good thing. You're supposed to send the Voyager to a "certified Moog technician", or some s**t like that, for a tune-up.

Neonlights84
Behringer DeepMind12
Novation UltraNova
Korg MS20 mini
Korg EMX-1

Post by Neonlights84 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:41 pm

nvbrkr wrote:Oh, you can tune the LP yourself just by using the OS, right? That's a good thing. You're supposed to send the Voyager to a "certified Moog technician", or some s**t like that, for a tune-up.

That sounds lame. Yea,there is a master tune in the LP OS.
Gear: Novation Ultranova, Korg Monotribe, Korg Electribe EMX-1, Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy, Lexicon MX200.

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:49 pm

would you guys rather get a tetra or a slim phatty?

lately, i've been watching videos of a moog source and kinda want a moog now...

Neonlights84
Behringer DeepMind12
Novation UltraNova
Korg MS20 mini
Korg EMX-1

Post by Neonlights84 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:58 pm

Kidney05 wrote:would you guys rather get a tetra or a slim phatty?

If i had to choose, I would easily grab an SP. It is not that Dave's stuff is no good, I just prefer VCO's over DCO's.

Also, does anyone know for sure what the SP's buttons are like? Are they the same squidgy ones from the LP or are they hard plastic? Judging from the pics, they look like hard plastic, and methinks I would prefer that to the rubbery LP ones.

EDIT: The LP has more LFO waveform choices.

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:48 pm

this is what inspired me

Neonlights84
Behringer DeepMind12
Novation UltraNova
Korg MS20 mini
Korg EMX-1

Post by Neonlights84 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:52 pm

Kidney05 wrote:

this is what inspired me

Haha! This very video makes me GAS for a source in the worst way. I know its doused in effects, but still, c'mon, that is some nice programming!

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:53 pm

If I didn't have the Voyager myself, I'd probably get the LP. Like stated, VCOs over DCOs (or whatever the current DSI synths really use). However, I've been considering getting the Tetra so that I could play chords with my left hand while playing leads on something else. The presets could be also useful for that purpose.

Kidney05

Post by Kidney05 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:04 pm

Neonlights84 wrote:
Kidney05 wrote:

this is what inspired me

Haha! This very video makes me GAS for a source in the worst way. I know its doused in effects, but still, c'mon, that is some nice programming!
who would have ever thought that orange, blue, and silver with wood panels on the sides would ever look so cool?

Neonlights84
Behringer DeepMind12
Novation UltraNova
Korg MS20 mini
Korg EMX-1

Post by Neonlights84 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:12 pm

Kidney05 wrote:
Neonlights84 wrote:
Kidney05 wrote:

this is what inspired me

who would have ever thought that orange, blue, and silver with wood panels on the sides would ever look so cool?

Complimentary color theorists. :lol:

smoothcriminal

Post by smoothcriminal » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:15 pm

I had a chance to demo a Moog Source and I was underwhelmed. Only Moog I've ever gotten to play. Slim Phatty looks pretty cool tho.

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:04 pm

Get them both. The DSI and Moog synths have an individual character. There's some crossover but enough difference to warrant having them both. And at $1600 if you buy them both new...used Tetras are in the $600 range and I got a feeling a lot of used LP Stages are about to flood the market once the Slim Phatty is on sale.

As for the Source...in my experience the LP and the Source have been very close tonally. The key difference for me is that the Source has some sizzle up top that the LP doesn't...but oddly the DSI synths have. In the low end the Source and LP are pretty identical to my ears. I miss that even with just the one knob the Source was faster to program but...I don't miss that the Source was unreliable and after having the Crazy Source Syndrome fixed on mine it never really sounded the same. The LP is much more reliable.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

Kidney05

Post by Kidney05 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:50 pm

redchapterjubilee wrote:

Get them both. The DSI and Moog synths have an individual character. There's some crossover but enough difference to warrant having them both. And at $1600 if you buy them both new...used Tetras are in the $600 range and I got a feeling a lot of used LP Stages are about to flood the market once the Slim Phatty is on sale.

As for the Source...in my experience the LP and the Source have been very close tonally. The key difference for me is that the Source has some sizzle up top that the LP doesn't...but oddly the DSI synths have. In the low end the Source and LP are pretty identical to my ears. I miss that even with just the one knob the Source was faster to program but...I don't miss that the Source was unreliable and after having the Crazy Source Syndrome fixed on mine it never really sounded the same. The LP is much more reliable.
haha i'm not made of money where i can just go pick them up, but it's just always been my dream to get a moog at some point, and a prophet at another, and maybe a jupiter 8. i might have to go for a moog first though since i have a micron and a 106. 800 seems steep though, even for an xmas gift.

also, as a side note, one could get close to buying a yamaha cp80 for 800, which are just about the coolest pianos out there that aren't real pianos.

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:05 pm

Kidney05 wrote:haha i'm not made of money where i can just go pick them up, but it's just always been my dream to get a moog at some point, and a prophet at another, and maybe a jupiter 8. i might have to go for a moog first though since i have a micron and a 106. 800 seems steep though, even for an xmas gift.
OK, so you've got a Micron and a 106. Honestly, your polyphonic synth scenario is taken care of. Those two work really well together. If money is an issue, then pick up a Mopho. You can buy them used for $250 now. It's a surprisingly useful little box. Sequencer, filter box, monosynth, etc.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:04 am

If you Actually have a look at most recent film posters they tend to lean towards orange and blue hues. It's a design trend apparently.