Slim Phatty

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Re: Slim Phatty

Post by tekkentool » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:05 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote: I challenge people not to turn this into a bitching thread. Bet you can't do it.
I think it's stupid that moog would make this without a keyboard. if they could make a version of this with an inbuilt keyboard then people would buy tons of them.

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:38 pm

tekkentool wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote: I challenge people not to turn this into a bitching thread. Bet you can't do it.
I think it's stupid that moog would make this without a keyboard. if they could make a version of this with an inbuilt keyboard then people would buy tons of them.
They did. It's the Little Phatty!

I know, I know :oops:
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)

Post by tekkentool » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:50 pm

Yeah but when they added the keyboard, it lost a lot of it's inherent analogue warmth you know?

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:53 pm

Well, duh. It was CONTROLLED BY MIDI.

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:56 pm

tekkentool wrote:Yeah but when they added the keyboard, it lost a lot of it's inherent analogue warmth you know?
That's what recording space heaters are for.

MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:33 pm

My old space heater died and I had to buy a new one. It's not as warm as the old one. Why can't they just keep making them like they used to?

I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:05 pm

Gotta give props to Moog. Finally it's a populist synth product from them.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

Dubersive

Post by Dubersive » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:38 pm

redchapterjubilee wrote:Gotta give props to Moog. Finally it's a populist synth product from them.
HUZZAH! ANALOGUE WARMTH FOR THE PROLETARIAT!
[ Cwejman S1 MK2 / Korg MS-20 / SQ-10 | TR-606 | Eurorack stuff ]

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:39 pm

redchapterjubilee wrote:Gotta give props to Moog. Finally it's a populist synth product from them.
:D
Stab Frenzy wrote:I challenge people not to turn this into a bitching thread. Bet you can't do it.
Why do you demand the impossible SF?

This thing is so uninspiring, and so predictable. Sure, this is the safest move they could make, but come on, why no also coincide this with some uber-simplified 4-voice rack or something? You can just see them sitting around a table going, What amazingly benign new product can we come out with next? I know, let's take the keyboard OFF the phatty! woooooooooooooooaaaaahhh.... Obviously from the same brain that thought it would be a good idea to put the expansion boxes INSIDE the voyager.

The only positive thing I can say is that at least they haven't entirely sold out and are making moog grooveboxes.
Do you even post on vse bro?

mao
Gear: Andromeda - Voyager RME - VSynth XT - MonoEvolverKeyboard - NordRack2X - EX-8000 - Waldorf Microwave - Machinedrum - Monomachine

Post by mao » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:58 pm

No... Moog is also working on Iphone apps... I'm not joking... moog on iphone

I really hope they think about a voice expansion box for the LittlePhatty and the new SmallPhatty. Just a box, no knobs, only one ON/OFF switch. Plug the box in polychain and your LP/SP is 6 voice... ok stop dreaming.

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:51 pm

nathanscribe wrote: Have you compared the guts of a Voyager to an Evolver? There's an enormous difference. DSI use a much higher level of integration. Notice he's not building Prophet 5s any more and ask why.
Yeah, this is true. In my opinion though, it is still pricey to pay $3000 for a four voice, but without looking at prices for major components, I of course can only place my opinion on the matter. ;)

As for them more or less rehashing the LP, I think it's a pretty good idea to release a rackmount version. The key version has sold well, but some people will ultimately want to save the money from buying a keyboard version because they may already have a master unit. It seems like this may be the closest one will get to a polyphonic Moog for now.
bonne chance

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:30 pm

Hah, I just realized the "artist's impression" on the Gearjunkies site would be at least twice as wide as a rack unit could be. No wonder something looked really odd about it.

TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Post by TrondC » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:11 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:
This thing is so uninspiring, and so predictable. Sure, this is the safest move they could make, but come on, why no also coincide this with some uber-simplified 4-voice rack or something? You can just see them sitting around a table going, What amazingly benign new product can we come out with next? I know, let's take the keyboard OFF the phatty! woooooooooooooooaaaaahhh.... Obviously from the same brain that thought it would be a good idea to put the expansion boxes INSIDE the voyager.

The only positive thing I can say is that at least they haven't entirely sold out and are making moog grooveboxes.
..woha.. to me the keyboardless phatty is the excact product I was hoping for, boring as it may be.. It the logical step: giving the consumers the option of having a moog at under $1000. for me, removing the keyboard means it takes up MUCH less space in addition to cutting off some $2-300 on the price. win and win

..or you could be just joking for all I know, internet sarcasm and irony is getting harder to identify...

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:28 pm

TrondC wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:

..or you could be just joking for all I know, internet sarcasm and irony is getting harder to identify...
No, don't worry, I'm honestly unimpressed.
Do you even post on vse bro?

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by tekkentool » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:33 pm

They've done it before you know ;)