Slim Phatty

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Slim Phatty

Post by kuroichi » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:25 am

I won't be buying one. Quite frankly it's not even that slim. Or phat. It's just some stuck in the middle hybrid that doesn't know what it wants.

You know what. Ive never actually heard the polychain feature being used on any of the new moogs.... Hmmmmm..??? Very odd.
Last edited by kuroichi on Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:19 am

someone on here once posted a pic of a voyager with 2 RMEs that he polychained… forgot who it was unfortunately…

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:00 pm

pflosi wrote:someone on here once posted a pic of a voyager with 2 RMEs that he polychained… forgot who it was unfortunately…
Or fortunatly? That was mine I think? Funny, I won a third RME on Ebay a while back, for a proper four voice Voyager. But the seller of a no reserve auction did not like the final bid price and would not send me the RME I won without an additional $400 dollars, Damn Ebay c**p! I gave up on a four voice after that, paid for it, wating for it to ship, then I got a refund and request for the extra cash. Final bit was something like $1175. I did not pay much more for the other two.
Anyhow, not the best way to get a polyphonic synth, I was going for a unique sound/setup, since there aren't many others using this setup. The voice allocation is whatever is held down is the number of chained synth playing. Surely not the best way to do it, but hold one key it is always the first in the chain, second key held would be the second and so on. So a long sustaining patch playing an arpeggio will sound like any mono synth, since the voices do not cycle. So the only time you will here the fourth in the chain is if you held down four notes.
Here is a few photos of mine.
ImageImage
Here was a demo of a Moog 1125 going through a quantizer into a Moog modular, but the synth playing over top is the three voice Voyager. The mod wheel is set into the filter amount and osc 2 pitch that is synced to osc 1, so with the push of the mod wheel it goes from a mellow pad sound to a raunchy lead sound:

Another demo with the LFO modulating PWM on the osc, but the three LFO's are not synced together so it gets a cool chorusing sound. Nothing but Voyager on this:

And yet another demo with four voices using the Moog modular as a one note bass with the three voice Voyager for the chords.

Not a cheap solution, and the phatty would be a lot less expensive, but my first poly synth a CS-80 cost me about 6 grand in 1978. In 2010 dollars that would be about 15 grand or more. In the old days if you wanted to play you had to pay!

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:28 pm

I will cry you a river Stab! :la: :la: :la: :la: :la: :la: :la: :la: :la:

It's extremely frustrating that moog doesn't make this phatty polychaining a reality, these shouldn't even mention it if they aren't going to make it work.
for sale/trade: EML-101

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:56 pm

redchapterjubilee wrote:I see lots of Moog vintage and modern, but I have never been to a lower level show with anyone playing a Prophet 08 or an Evolver. Lots of Little Phattys though.
Besides the Moog name recognition there is the issue of where would you buy DSI? I have never seen a DSI synth in any of my local GCs...for that matter outside of one Nord Lead I've seen nothing but the Big 3, Akai, Alesis and sometimes a LP there.

Daddy's Junky Music is another chain local to New England and they also do not carry DSI, not sure about Moog. While they pay lip service to selling the big 3, I seldom see anything but a MicroKorg or Micron out on the floor.

The remaining indie stores in my area are a mixed bag, one has the Yamaha franchise (home keys and a token Motif or two) and another has Roland and Korg (home keys again and Microkorgs).

A couple of other local stores don't even carry keyboards...only guitars, amps and PA.

Anyway, I had to mail order my first Evolver with no previous hands-on. Thank goodness for 30 day return policies.

So what's the moral to this story? Everyone shopping for a new synth buys a Microkorg :ugeek:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:48 pm

meatballfulton wrote:Besides the Moog name recognition there is the issue of where would you buy DSI?
I guess the GC's I've been to over the years have been better stocked! The GC in Lynnwood, WA (north of Seattle) had an Evolver early on. The GC in downtown Seattle had a Polyevolver once upon a time, but I haven't lived in Seattle for nearly five years now so I haven't been to that GC since 2005. The only other DSI product I've seen in a store like that was a Prophet 08 in American Music in the Ballard section of Seattle. And that was a couple of years ago. The GC in Houston has no real analog, just Nord/Akai/Korg, etc.

But point taken. I imagine there are few stores (mostly synth specialty shops) that have all the DSI stuff on-hand.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

anoteoftruth
Gear: Moog Little Phatty, Moog Voyager RME, Nord Lead Rack, Microkorg, Korg ER-1, Rocktron Banshee Talkbox, Ableton Live, Trigger Finger, GURU, SP-303
Band: Mr.Marr

Post by anoteoftruth » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:56 pm

nadafarms wrote:I will cry you a river Stab! :la: :la: :la: :la: :la: :la: :la: :la: :la:

It's extremely frustrating that moog doesn't make this phatty polychaining a reality, these shouldn't even mention it if they aren't going to make it work.

I asked Amos about this on the Moog forum... He said it was entirely possible and even had four SP's polychained together on his desk at the time he was writing it... He said they are going to make some demo videos of it being done soon.

That's pretty much what I am waiting on before I pull the trigger.

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:25 am

I just don't think too many people are doing it. It's going to be a rare set up.

A poly-chained DSI product is more likely even though their pieces actually have dedicated ports and the chaining idea is designed in from the start.

I rarely see DSI goodies besides the Prophet and the Mopho. The Evolvers....didn't they mark a return- so to speak? Maybe that factors in why it took a little longer to re-establish the name in retail chains.

I swear sometimes someone says something on a forum and it becomes fact- like until an opinion is countered, it's almost law to those who can't/won't form an opinion on their own. I used to see tons of used MS2000 units and racks in the stores along with all kind of Virus synths. Once the word hit that the TI wasn't like the old virus and that the MS was a better buy than the microKORG, I haven't seen either line for sale.

Now soon as someone says the Lil Phatty sounds better than the Slim phatty...or vice versa....
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

bhrama
Gear: Sub 37, TR8, Streichfett, Tempest, P6
Band: Grit Lapse, Mangkind

Post by bhrama » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:16 am

This may answer a few questions, and probably create a few more. :lol: Guess only NAMM will tell

elsongs

Post by elsongs » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:26 am

Maybe it's just me, but I never understood the appeal of tabletop synths...

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:13 pm

elsongs wrote:Maybe it's just me, but I never understood the appeal of tabletop synths...
from a sequencing point of view, and for overdubbing they are quite convenient for me, you can quickly dial in a sound and overdub a bass etc, or spend a while experimenting with different settings etc quite easily...

A keyboard, for someone who doesn't intend to play it, just adds cost onto the synth price really...
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Post by TrondC » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:31 pm

elsongs wrote:Maybe it's just me, but I never understood the appeal of tabletop synths...
Maybe it's just me, but I never understood the appeal of keayboards in synths.. ;)

(joking)

bhrama
Gear: Sub 37, TR8, Streichfett, Tempest, P6
Band: Grit Lapse, Mangkind

Post by bhrama » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:15 am

New video from Moog, closest we'll get to a Poly anytime soon...but man is sounds thick!

The smile on that guys face is worth the viewing.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:21 pm

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooh.

Neonlights84
Gear: Moog Minimoog Model D
Behringer DeepMind12
Novation UltraNova
Korg MS20 mini
Korg EMX-1
Band: Winter's Glow

Post by Neonlights84 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:51 pm

Does anyone know if the LFO on the Little/Slim Phatty is analog?
Gear: Novation Ultranova, Korg Monotribe, Korg Electribe EMX-1, Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy, Lexicon MX200.