Slim Phatty

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: Slim Phatty

Post by griffin avid » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:33 pm

"What is news is that Moog waited, what, 4-5? years to release this thing... possibly missing their chance to really capture the initial phatty interest, and having all that the remaining time to make something a little more interesting."

I did say on Page 3:
"I think timing is what's throwing everyone off. Just about every manufacturer makes several versions of all their products. Are we REALLY, REALLY surprised or bewildered that 'gasp' Moog make a rack/desktop version of one of their products? It it was here shortly after the arrival of the Phatty, then no one would have these reactions."

You might be on to something. It's been so long people forgot what the Phatty looks like.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:19 pm

I am just so f**k furious at Moog about this.

How dare they release ANOTHER LP without addressing the notion that IT NEEDS KNOB PER FUNCTION! It's totally stupid that it doesn't have knob-per-function.

I don't like the layout either. It's just not aesthetically pleasing. It needs more wood.

I've only played an LP a couple of times, but I know that this new version is going to lack the original sound of the LP... it just won't be as good. It'll be less "vintage."

It just won't be a good Moog because it'll be too cheap and everyone can afford one.

When are they going to make a f**k drum machine like they should?

Ha ha, I'm just f**k' with you. I think it's perfectly reasonable to release this product, and I'm sure it'll make a lot of people really happy. It's a great way to grab a less-wealthy demographic, and make more money for a company which deserves to make money. I have not a single complaint about it... it really is a non-issue as far as that sort of thing is concerned.
The polychaining thing is just f**k stupid and ridiculous. You can have a polyphonic Moog for free... MULTITRACK. Buying eighteen expensive Moogs just so you can do something you could do for free is absolutely... well, yeah.
I am among the winners of the Stabby Challenge. :)
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:24 pm

griffin avid wrote:"What is news is that Moog waited, what, 4-5? years to release this thing... possibly missing their chance to really capture the initial phatty interest, and having all that the remaining time to make something a little more interesting."

I did say on Page 3:
"I think timing is what's throwing everyone off. Just about every manufacturer makes several versions of all their products. Are we REALLY, REALLY surprised or bewildered that 'gasp' Moog make a rack/desktop version of one of their products? It it was here shortly after the arrival of the Phatty, then no one would have these reactions."
oh, ha, whoops.. copying as some sort of flattery? I guess we're in agreement then ;) I'm reading about it in multiple threads, so I'm just reiterating what I read one place or another!
Do you even post on vse bro?

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:21 pm

The polychaining thing is just f**k stupid and ridiculous.

I didn't want to be the first to say so. I don't see the purpose of a synth with "lots of voices" and no sequencer. Hello A6. I'm not making a whole song so what's the purpose of the multiple voices? I understand a complicated patch, but c'mon unless you can make the whole song 'in-side' the synth....

If I'm gigging I'm playing a one-person part- okay maybe two with a split.
I was quite surprised when I head multiple parts coming from the DSI Mopho and dug into the programming of some of those patches to see how they programmed the partial tunes.

If you're going to charge me more than a down payment on a car then I demand a sequencer. A real sequencer, not a modulation-angled doo-hickey.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:00 pm

The Slim Phatty ought to be a great way to perpetuate GAS and sell more Moog products.

With a bigger budget these days, I'd be more excited about this if I didn't already have a Moog filter pedal tied to my SEM for smooth, and a Polivoks for gruff. If the SP had come out 2 years ago, I still would have picked the Voyager RME, due to the dual-filter. I think that's out of my system now.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:34 pm

IT SHOULD BE ENCASED IN WOOD AND THE f**k WIRING SHOULD BE MADE OF GOLD SO THAT WE CAN HAVE DISCUSSIONS ON WHICH CABLE IS BEST BECAUSE OUR YOUR SYNTHESIZER IS WIRED WITH GOLD AND THE MSRP SHOULD BE $399 WITH TWO FREE GIFTS OF A f**k DOO HICKEY AND A f**k ATA APPROVED FLIGHT CASE.

:lol: :lol:
bonne chance

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:01 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote: The polychaining thing is just f**k stupid and ridiculous. You can have a polyphonic Moog for free... MULTITRACK. Buying eighteen expensive Moogs just so you can do something you could do for free is absolutely... well, yeah.
Where can i claim this free polyphonic moog?

on a more serious note, for someone who constantly sings the praises of Playing things "live" you don't seem to understand the concept too well. Sometimes people perform outside of the studio...

Dubersive

Post by Dubersive » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:13 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:You can have a polyphonic Moog for free... MULTITRACK. Buying eighteen expensive Moogs just so you can do something you could do for free is absolutely... well, yeah.
I am among the winners of the Stabby Challenge. :)
Yeah, but, multitracking's a pain in the a*s if you just want some simple chords. Not saying that I think it's a good idea to buy 3 or 4 SPs for a daisy-chain, but I can understand the desire to have a polyphonic moog in order to avoid multitracking. Not to mention Tekkentool's point for live performers.
[ Cwejman S1 MK2 / Korg MS-20 / SQ-10 | TR-606 | Eurorack stuff ]

implant

Post by implant » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:50 am

to play chords live during a performance with the slim phatty i would suggest you multitrack those in the studio. then during live use just mute 1 of the recordings and play that specific muted track "live" on the SP and leave the rest of the multitracked chord playing!

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)

Post by tekkentool » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:07 am

implant wrote:to play chords live during a performance with the slim phatty i would suggest you multitrack those in the studio. then during live use just mute 1 of the recordings and play that specific muted track "live" on the SP and leave the rest of the multitracked chord playing!
that doesn't work if you don't work live from a backing track. Certainly it's possible to do it that way. But what i'm trying to say is that no one is daft if they want to make a real polymoog out of LP's.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:13 am

tekkentool wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote: The polychaining thing is just f**k stupid and ridiculous. You can have a polyphonic Moog for free... MULTITRACK. Buying eighteen expensive Moogs just so you can do something you could do for free is absolutely... well, yeah.
Where can i claim this free polyphonic moog?

on a more serious note, for someone who constantly sings the praises of Playing things "live" you don't seem to understand the concept too well. Sometimes people perform outside of the studio...
Gee, you're right, tekkentool. I hadn't considered the convenience, cost-effectiveness, programming ease, control simplicity, and etc. of toting a boatload of Slim Phattys around to gigs for the sake of polyphony. Probably because I have no idea what it's like to perform live. My mistake.
tekkentool wrote:that doesn't work if you don't work live from a backing track. Certainly it's possible to do it that way. But what i'm trying to say is that no one is daft if they want to make a real polymoog out of LP's.
So, you're performing without sequencing?
Dubersive wrote:Yeah, but, multitracking's a pain in the a*s if you just want some simple chords. Not saying that I think it's a good idea to buy 3 or 4 SPs for a daisy-chain, but I can understand the desire to have a polyphonic moog in order to avoid multitracking. Not to mention Tekkentool's point for live performers.
You understand the desire to shell out thousands of dollars in order to avoid having to record a few sequences of single notes? I'm afraid I don't understand that.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:30 am

Might need a multi-tracking thread for this one, but aside from having the gift of being able to annotate monophonic sequences as chords or even Art of Fugue style counterpoint, is there some sort of tool for automatically scanning a polyphonic sequenced track and "demux" it into many monophonic tracks? I understand it might have to be quantized to prevent a massive output of tracks, but that would be ok. I'm just getting into modular concepts, and this would thrill me like no one's business.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by tekkentool » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:58 am

I wasn't inciting that you know nothing of live performing, as someone who does it often you should know better than to say Real polyphony makes no sense next to Multitracking.

And yes, all the bands i've play in are metal bands, no sequencing live whatsoever.

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:17 am

Hey everybody, you know what's valid: the way I do things. Yep.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:45 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:I challenge people not to turn this into a bitching thread. Bet you can't do it.
The challenge has failed. :lol:
bonne chance