Slim Phatty

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Re: Slim Phatty

Post by tekkentool » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:54 am

sequentialsoftshock wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:I challenge people not to turn this into a bitching thread. Bet you can't do it.
The challenge has failed. :lol:
i have brought great shame to family...

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:17 am

griffin avid wrote:"You couldn't have misunderstood the intention of my post more if you tried"

My...thoughts...exactly....
Um...I have nothing against you or your post. And I don't know how you could read into anything negative about your post. There is a trend on this site to complain about EVERY product that's been released since 1980- something.
Which almost makes sense hence the Vintage Synth Expl.....

I find it almost no-news that Moog made a desktop version of their Phatty. It's perfectly in line with any product release to make a rack unit. Yet, on a few sites, it's like Moog have done a horrible and unexpected thing.

The iPhone app I can understand because that's left field and truly unexpected. A rack unit is not.
I reference your post to say that you can see the obvious sense in releasing a rack unit and actually PRAISE the damn thing for its purpose. For you, it's a perfect fit and I fully agree with your WHYs.

I liked the Phatty too, but I don't need one more keyboard, much less have room for another piece.
If it wasn't for the Voyager RME sitting to my left, this would be on the list.
Oh s**t, ok I feel very bad/stupid now, truly sorry about that then mate.

I mistook the referance to my post as a personal attack as though *I* was rubbishing the product, I do admit I find it hard to read into the mood behind posts on the net, not instinctive to me and things just aren't clear sometimes.

But I'm big enought to admit being wrong, that's ok, these things happen. Just a massive, massive misunderstanding.

Again, very sorry.

Peace. ;)

smoothcriminal

Post by smoothcriminal » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:27 am

hi res picture, i like the control layout.

Image...

on the other hand "related threads" has a used Little Fatty for $700 from last month. so who knows, the used price on the slim could be absurd.
Last edited by smoothcriminal on Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:30 am

Actually, to get back on topic for a minute, being rackmountable does this look 2U to you guys? I can't quite tell, cause the pic shows it at an angle.

It does look quite sleek though, doesn't it?

I'd prefer the Phatty's over the Voyager's any day of the week to be honest, oh and I'm soo getting that Filtatron app for my iPod, damn bargain, and moog's first piece of software too if I'm not mistaken.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:42 am

Looks to be 3U. When used ones are $500 I'll get itchy ;)
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Dubersive

Post by Dubersive » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:03 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
Dubersive wrote:Yeah, but, multitracking's a pain in the a*s if you just want some simple chords. Not saying that I think it's a good idea to buy 3 or 4 SPs for a daisy-chain, but I can understand the desire to have a polyphonic moog in order to avoid multitracking. Not to mention Tekkentool's point for live performers.
You understand the desire to shell out thousands of dollars in order to avoid having to record a few sequences of single notes? I'm afraid I don't understand that.
Compared to other big polyphonic and monophonic analogues, the price isn't that far off. Andromedas and Jupitor 8's go for what, $3k-5k sometimes? And Voyagers are about $3300 new? Give the used market some time, and I bet we'll be seeing SPs going for $500-600. That means you could get a polyphonic moog (4 voice) for a lot less than the price of a Voyager.

Multitracking also kills creative spontaneity for me. If you're ok with multi-tracking all the time, more power to ya. But If I ever manage to get enough money, I'm totally buying a Sunsyn. Not likely to happen, but I can dream, can't I? :D
Last edited by Dubersive on Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[ Cwejman S1 MK2 / Korg MS-20 / SQ-10 | TR-606 | Eurorack stuff ]

clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by clubbedtodeath » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:27 pm

tekkentool wrote:i have brought great shame to family...
You bring shame to whole village!

Doooooooom
Gear: Microkorg, Mopho Keyboard, Korg SP-300 piano, Roland KC-110 amp, Korg Pandora.

Post by Doooooooom » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:20 pm

Its up for pre-order on dv247 for £699 ($1120). Hardly a bargain in the uk. :roll:

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:36 pm

Doooooooom wrote:Its up for pre-order on dv247 for £699 ($1120). Hardly a bargain in the uk. :roll:
I'd go so far as to say it isnt a bargain at all...

That price has put me off a bit, I was hoping for lower, something beginning with £5--.00

Its up on Moog site if anyone hasnt said yet, there's some demos/video...

Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:48 pm

kuroichi wrote:I'd go so far as to say it isnt a bargain at all...
When compared to something like the MoPho Keyboard edition, I'd say it's a fair playing field. The MoPho does come with more knobs and a keyboard, but it is also much more discrete circuitry. How is Moog service/support nowadays?
bonne chance

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:58 pm

Jayzus, what an uptight lot o crybabies.

Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:01 pm

sequentialsoftshock wrote:
kuroichi wrote:I'd go so far as to say it isnt a bargain at all...
When compared to something like the MoPho Keyboard edition, I'd say it's a fair playing field. The MoPho does come with more knobs and a keyboard, but it is also much more discrete circuitry. How is Moog service/support nowadays?
I dont even bother with support since Im in the UK, I emailed moog a couple of years ago, and I'm still waiting for a reply. I hear from others that theyre good though.

I dont think it's too expensive, but it's not a bargain either really, the american price is more appealing...

In the UK the Mopho Key is £535.00, which was closer to what I hoped this would be...
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:08 pm

kuroichi wrote:I dont think it's too expensive, but it's not a bargain either really, the american price is more appealing...

In the UK the Mopho Key is £535.00, which was closer to what I hoped this would be...
I get what you're saying now. I just noticed the difference between pricing, so I can understand where you're coming from. =/
bonne chance

Tenine

Post by Tenine » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:09 pm

Glad other folks have noticed the UK pricing.

I was also expecting the UK price to be lower.
The DSI Mopho KB is $799 and is £535 from Digital Village.
The Moog Slim Phatty is also $799 but is £699 from Digital Village.
WTF?
I understand that Moog perhaps sell each unit for more than DSI do, but it got me thinking (again)
about how we get a raw deal buying musical equipment in the UK (and Europe), though I'm sure other parts of the world are worse.

I was seriously looking at a new Tom Oberheim SEM (PP) but the only EU distributor is SchneidersBuro.
They have them at €950 - Just over £800 (and I don't know if you'd have to pay more tax getting it into the UK).
In the US they're $899. Again, I understand SchneidersBuro will pay tax and shipping to get them into Europe and price them to make a profit.

The difference between US and UK pricing just seems ridiculous though.
It's almost like you don't need to look at the exchange rate, just replace $ with £ :x

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:44 pm

Doesn't the UK price have all the taxes added in? In Canada you're expected to add at least 15% in taxes and I assume it's the same for the US, that you add tax on top where as in the UK, you don't? Is that the case?
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18