Switching patches on the fly on a Virus C and a Radias

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Omniant
Gear: V Synth, Little Phatty, Nord Lead 2, MO 6, Ultranova, VST's
Band: Novelectro

Switching patches on the fly on a Virus C and a Radias

Post by Omniant » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:14 pm

I haven't gotten a chance to really get my hands on either one of these synths to know but can anyone tell me how easy it is to switch patches on the fly quickly? I play in a live band which does a lot of improv and requires me to come up with different sounds quickly and I'm not sure if there are banks where you can store patches and just bring them up with a push of a button or what.

These are 2 synths I may be looking to purchase in the near future and want to be sure they fit well in my live situation.

Roby31
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Waldorf Micro Q (Yellow)
Access Virus TI 2 Desktop
Casio VL-1

Re: Switching patches on the fly on a Virus C and a Radias

Post by Roby31 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:46 pm

Yes, the Virus does have multiple banks (128 patches each IIRC) and it's fairly easy to access them (no pun intended) - there's dedicated buttons on the front panel and a couple of tricks for faster scrolling.
Sorry for my unintentional killing of the English language. I'm Italian, you know :) - "What would Jexus do?" - Stew-diah

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:28 pm

Radias lets you select any of 16 programs in a bank with a single button push. You can select adjacent banks with another button push. Much quicker than on a Virus (I have owned both).
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

RD9

Post by RD9 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:41 pm

They are both easy to switch patches on, but the Radias is faster I think. The Virus C uses 2 buttons to cycle through the banks and 2 buttons to select patches, but the Radias gives you more than one way to select patches ... it provides a combination of buttons and a rotary encoder which gives it a slight edge, in addition to the 16 step buttons that can double as a patch selectors as meatball mentioned. The interface in general is friendlier on the Radias.

But imho the real answer is not to rely on the synth's user interface to be "fast enough", but rather to plan slightly in advance and move all the patches that you most likely will need to use into one bank, making all of them easily accessible. In which case either of these synths will do a good job.

Omniant
Gear: V Synth, Little Phatty, Nord Lead 2, MO 6, Ultranova, VST's
Band: Novelectro

Post by Omniant » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:51 pm

Thanks guys that's what I was looking for.

Dane_Xoth
Gear: Attack uWXT Edition uQ Prophecy, W/S ex, MS 2Kr ER1 EA1 RADIAS
A X V Bk Br D SB Station,
DJ70mII R-70 S760
Spectrum Bass+Synth
FB383
Absinthe
Band: Dane[X]oth, Dortmunder

Post by Dane_Xoth » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:24 pm

Planning ahead as mentioned before, on the Virus C you could set up a Multi and split the keyboard.
Bend it to fit, Paint it to match.