SUNSYN mk2

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Re: SUNSYN mk2

Post by space6oy » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:56 pm

don't start a modular then.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:05 pm

Interesting that Jomox saw enough demand to bother with a new production run.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:20 am

space6oy wrote:don't start a modular then.
No modular I know comes with any inherent price tag, let alone a $5k one (well, aside from Serge/Buchla). And you can always sell modules and still have a, um, modular.
Do you even post on vse bro?

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:28 am

you'd be shocked how easy it is to rack up $5k getting hooked though.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:59 am

space6oy wrote:you'd be shocked how easy it is to rack up $5k getting hooked though.
not really... I'm watching the $ signs tick on mine (with the absolute intention of not breaking certain monetary thresholds). But even on more expensive systems, $5k is a LOT of modular assuming you haven't only equipped it with Cwejman and the like...

b3groover
Band: THEO

Post by b3groover » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:11 am

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:54 am

For those who haven't seen, I found these video's very interesting - I'd love all synth manufacturers to give this kind of insight and "behind the scenes" look at what they do.

I gotta say I do like the look of the Mk1's better though, but I'm sure it'll look more appealing to other people's tastes :) .

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:29 pm

b3groover wrote:Boom. Over $5k

http://www.synthesizers.com/studio44.html
...and that is a lot of fudging modular... so? Half or a third of that would still give you a "modular synth".

I don't know how any of this has anything to do with the price of a non-modular polyphonic synth anyways-my whole point was that the Sunsyn was very $$$. Period. I doubt many of us on here could spend that much on anything, let alone a single synth, without flinching.

EDIT: and how the h**l is the xbase-09 13 years old?!

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:49 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:
...and that is a lot of fudging modular... so? Half or a third of that would still give you a "modular synth".

I don't know how any of this has anything to do with the price of a non-modular polyphonic synth anyways-my whole point was that the Sunsyn was very $$$.
sorry Ruff, but i don't see your point here at all.
a .com w/ 6 osc and 4 EGs and only 2-3 filters is just getting going. That's only a notch above entry-level.
In comparison, $5k will only get you 2 or 3 Serge or Buchla modules, unless you luck out and get it from a school or something.
Unless you can build Blacet or 5U kit modules yourself, you're running mighty slim on a $5k budget. You could make a wild noise machine or a vintage moog-y style system, but not both in the same system at once for that coin.

re-read our early posts and do the economics. consider the INFLATION aspect. the Sunsyn is not a clone of something. yes that is a lot of money, and would be too much $ to ask for a mass-produced just-another-synth.
But that's not what the Sunsyn is, and regardless of whatever we feel, it will sell out in a flash anyways.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:17 pm

this is like in my top 3 polysynths ever, outside of the andromeda and xpander, simply a f**k amazing sound.
Sir Ruff wrote:
space6oy wrote:you'd be shocked how easy it is to rack up $5k getting hooked though.
not really... I'm watching the $ signs tick on mine (with the absolute intention of not breaking certain monetary thresholds). But even on more expensive systems, $5k is a LOT of modular assuming you haven't only equipped it with Cwejman and the like...
also, I haven't had a modular for very long and its already at about 5k.

that is:

cwejman s1
harvestman piston honda
metasonix r51, 53, 54
doepfer a119
flight of harmony plague bearer
wmd geiger counter
sherman filterbank 2

arguably the cwejman is the meat of it (cost me 3k), but if you take that out its still 2k worth of s**t!

and I still have a f**k of modules that are on my to get list, the most immediate being a metasonix r52, second r54, and r60, harvestman hertz donut, and a tip top z dsp...
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

prinsen
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Blokey, MS10, Matrix-6, Kult, TR-808, Tokai Jazzbass, DIY modular + fx, amps and mics.

Post by prinsen » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:42 pm

Hybrid88 wrote:For those who haven't seen, I found these video's very interesting - I'd love all synth manufacturers to give this kind of insight and "behind the scenes" look at what they do.
That kind of niche journalism/documentarism is relatively expensive to do. Most synth manufacturers would probably love to give that kind of insight, but don't have the means to do so. This particular video was made by the Telekom (german telecommuncations giant) funded electronicbeats.net which focus(ed?) on the electronic music scene and related technology and innovation.

If you'd like to see more like this, make sure to watch Totally Wired, an 85min documentary about Schneiders Buero featuring visits and interviews with the people behind a lot of the current modular synth manufacturers like Doepfer, Macbeth and Cwejman. It's great!

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:21 pm

shaft9000 wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:

I don't know how any of this has anything to do with the price of a non-modular polyphonic synth anyways-my whole point was that the Sunsyn was very $$$.
sorry Ruff, but i don't see your point here at all.
a .com w/ 6 osc and 4 EGs and only 2-3 filters is just getting going. That's only a notch above entry-level.
In comparison, $5k will only get you 2 or 3 Serge or Buchla modules, unless you luck out and get it from a school or something.
Unless you can build Blacet or 5U kit modules yourself, you're running mighty slim on a $5k budget. You could make a wild noise machine or a vintage moog-y style system, but not both in the same system at once for that coin.

re-read our early posts and do the economics. consider the INFLATION aspect. the Sunsyn is not a clone of something. yes that is a lot of money, and would be too much $ to ask for a mass-produced just-another-synth.
But that's not what the Sunsyn is, and regardless of whatever we feel, it will sell out in a flash anyways.
I'm not getting the incorporation of modular value into this discussion at all. Modular synths, by their very modular nature, are expensive-let's not even define what a "modular" synth is or what it can do-but they can also be very cheap, and still perform their intended function. If you find that you are unhappy with your $5k modular synth, you can always sell part of it and make it a $3k synth, or whatever... You can't do that with something that's not modular, so I don't get how this is relevant. I said I would be uncomfortable with a single instrument that costs $5k-a modular synth is not a "single" instrument, so again, not pertinent.

And anyways, I never said the Sunsyn was overpriced for what it is-I just said it was expensive. Regardless of inflation, $5k is a lot of money, now, then, ever... (which I guess is obvious). Anyways, I'm not sitting here crying that if only I had the money, I would go out and buy one-I have no doubt that they will sell very quickly (and then the odd one will eventually resurface every year or two for $7k or more)

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:17 am

Got an email from Juergen and it sounds like there is a new purple color being used for the Sunsyn. The Ruthinium knobs looks pretty sweet on the old faceplate:

"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse

mao
Gear: Andromeda - Voyager RME - VSynth XT - MonoEvolverKeyboard - NordRack2X - EX-8000 - Waldorf Microwave - Machinedrum - Monomachine

Post by mao » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:02 am

I think we are all going crazy. 4999 € for a 8 voice desktop analog synth (with no so analog LFO). So ... the (ex) 16 voices Alesis Andromeda priced at 2300 € or the Prophet 08 priced 1900€ are only... well toys... they are not expensive enough to be considered "amazing" 16/8 voice analog synths.

With 4999€ you can buy brand new combo like: Andromeda (well... not more) + Prophet08 + MoogSmall phatty . Now try to convince me that the Sunsyn is so amazing to choose it instead of a real amazing trio like A6+P08+SP. Let me think.... Well a Prophet 08 + Small phatty and a Vsynth Xt... yes another good combo... Come on do you really choose a Sunsyn over that combos ??? Think about it.

That's insane just like the Moog Voyager XL. I really would like to know how many Sunsyn Mk2 and Voyager XL will leave the shops... My right hand is ready to count and I think one hand will be enough to count both.

I have nothing against Jomox. I'm just wondering how ppl are reacting to a 5000€ price for this "quite normal analog synth" with a really awful knob layout.

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:36 pm

mao wrote:With 4999€ you can buy brand new combo like: Andromeda (well... not more) + Prophet08 + MoogSmall phatty . Now try to convince me that the Sunsyn is so amazing to choose it instead of a real amazing trio like A6+P08+SP. Let me think.... Well a Prophet 08 + Small phatty and a Vsynth Xt... yes another good combo... Come on do you really choose a Sunsyn over that combos ??? Think about it.
Congratulations, you have incontrovertible mathematical proof that you aren't interested in a Sunsyn. ;)
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop