SUNSYN mk2

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
mao
Gear: Andromeda - Voyager RME - VSynth XT - MonoEvolverKeyboard - NordRack2X - EX-8000 - Waldorf Microwave - Machinedrum - Monomachine

Re: SUNSYN mk2

Post by mao » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:12 pm

pricklyrobot wrote:
mao wrote:With 4999€ you can buy brand new combo like: Andromeda (well... not more) + Prophet08 + MoogSmall phatty . Now try to convince me that the Sunsyn is so amazing to choose it instead of a real amazing trio like A6+P08+SP. Let me think.... Well a Prophet 08 + Small phatty and a Vsynth Xt... yes another good combo... Come on do you really choose a Sunsyn over that combos ??? Think about it.
Congratulations, you have incontrovertible mathematical proof that you aren't interested in a Sunsyn. ;)
:lol:

at 5000€ I simply can't imagine who is...

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:25 pm

If I had the money I'd buy it tomorrow.
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

Dubersive

Post by Dubersive » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:36 pm

Joey wrote:If I had the money I'd buy it tomorrow.
A Sunsyn and a Cwejman is a combination I'd like to hear.

But what will complete the modern sonic trifecta? :?:
[ Cwejman S1 MK2 / Korg MS-20 / SQ-10 | TR-606 | Eurorack stuff ]

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:58 pm

Ive never known the sunsyn to have a lot of coverage or demos etc on the net, so Ive never understood where all the hype came from in the last few years.

Has it been used in some major way that not aware of, or are there some decent examples of it anywhere?
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:59 pm

Dubersive wrote:

Something MacBeth perhaps? Old is the new new?
Do you even post on vse bro?

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Joey » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:00 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:
Dubersive wrote:

Something MacBeth perhaps? Old is the new new?

Serge, harvestman, or buchla

memory cords

Post by memory cords » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:04 pm

mao wrote:I think we are all going crazy. 4999 € for a 8 voice desktop analog synth (with no so analog LFO). So ... the (ex) 16 voices Alesis Andromeda priced at 2300 € or the Prophet 08 priced 1900€ are only... well toys... they are not expensive enough to be considered "amazing" 16/8 voice analog synths.

With 4999€ you can buy brand new combo like: Andromeda (well... not more) + Prophet08 + MoogSmall phatty . Now try to convince me that the Sunsyn is so amazing to choose it instead of a real amazing trio like A6+P08+SP. Let me think.... Well a Prophet 08 + Small phatty and a Vsynth Xt... yes another good combo... Come on do you really choose a Sunsyn over that combos ??? Think about it.

That's insane just like the Moog Voyager XL. I really would like to know how many Sunsyn Mk2 and Voyager XL will leave the shops... My right hand is ready to count and I think one hand will be enough to count both.

I have nothing against Jomox. I'm just wondering how ppl are reacting to a 5000€ price for this "quite normal analog synth" with a really awful knob layout.
Well he is only making about 10 of them, it's not a mass produced product. I don't think he's aiming at the general synth market, it's a real niche market within a niche market. He's probably decided to do it because he was getting inquiries about it and realised there was enough demand for a small production run.

And if I remember correctly he wasn't making any profit on them at their former lower price? If the price was lower it wouldn't be worth his time and effort.

I don't consider the the Sunsyn a "quite normal analog synth". The DSI Prophet '08 and the Moog Slim Phatty are not even in the same league.

I'm sure he'll manage to sell the 10 or so he is making, as others have already said I would buy one instantly if I had the cash. It's a seriously great sounding synth.

mao
Gear: Andromeda - Voyager RME - VSynth XT - MonoEvolverKeyboard - NordRack2X - EX-8000 - Waldorf Microwave - Machinedrum - Monomachine

Post by mao » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:14 pm

It seems that some people thinks A, says B and does C.

Take a look of the synths owned by who said that the Sunsyn is worth the cash. I take you (memory cords) as an example you said you would buy one if you have the cash. Well why didn't you do it instead of buying an Andromeda + OB MX and the MKS ? Why don't you sell your stuff for the sunsyn ? Is not worth the change ?

Again it's not against you... you are only an example. Other forumer said the same but on their profile you see tons of synths by far over the cash needed for the sunsyn. So you have the cash.

This confirm me that the problem is not "having the cash" ... but is "having the cash to waste". That's quite different.

Everybody with cash to waste would buy everything out there.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:32 pm

I just went back through some Sunsyn demo clips and remembered why I lost interest in pursuing it despite all the unique benefits: Not enough drift in the components, oscillators for sure. They are stable enough to do DX style FM.

Now the Neuronium I could get into. They won't start it up again until there are at least 20 orders. Anybody with me on this one?
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Joey » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:00 pm

mao wrote:It seems that some people thinks A, says B and does C.

Take a look of the synths owned by who said that the Sunsyn is worth the cash. I take you (memory cords) as an example you said you would buy one if you have the cash. Well why didn't you do it instead of buying an Andromeda + OB MX and the MKS ? Why don't you sell your stuff for the sunsyn ? Is not worth the change ?

Again it's not against you... you are only an example. Other forumer said the same but on their profile you see tons of synths by far over the cash needed for the sunsyn. So you have the cash.

This confirm me that the problem is not "having the cash" ... but is "having the cash to waste". That's quite different.

Nah dude, I don't have the cash. The synths I got were through months upon months of saving and good business/ budgeting decisions. I could do it again with the sunny but it would take me a lot longer. If I had 7 grand today I'd buy it without thinking and eat ramen for a month.

the virus TI I bought abour 4 years ago, the ms20 was a gift, and the cwejman I bought this year after a long time of saving. it ain't cheap and it isn't easy, but i'd rather save longer and buy once than buy other less expensive s**t

krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Where the Embers Fall

Post by krzeppa » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:12 pm

[quote="Joey"]the ms20 was a gift{/quote]

What a h**l of an awesome gift!

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Joey » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:25 pm

Solderman wrote:I just went back through some Sunsyn demo clips and remembered why I lost interest in pursuing it despite all the unique benefits: Not enough drift in the components, oscillators for sure. They are stable enough to do DX style FM.

Now the Neuronium I could get into. They won't start it up again until there are at least 20 orders. Anybody with me on this one?

also how are you going to in the same post talk about the sunsyn being stable and then like the neuronium? they are totally different machines, the neuronium uses 6 filters with feedback paths to create its sound. totally different from conventional synthesis, it doesn't belong in this topic.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:17 pm

'Cuz my brain is fickle and this thread is trivial information for the majority of members here. Er, I mean the Sunsyn is amazing but will cost too much. RCO's rule. Bleh, blah, blergh. :truce:
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

memory cords

Post by memory cords » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:27 pm

mao wrote:It seems that some people thinks A, says B and does C.

Has it ever occured to you that people might like more than one synth?

Just because you like a sunsynth doesn't mean you are going to sell all your other gear to buy one.

So according to your reasoning if you like something you should sell everything you already own to get it?

Has it ever occured to you that people might have got their synths for much less than the standard retail price?

What makes you think that just because someone had cash at one point that they have it all the time?

mao

Post by mao » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:53 pm

It's exactly what I'm trying to say. We not have infinite money. We need to save and We like having more than one synth. That's why We doesn't spend 5000€ for ONE synth.