Properly storing synths?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
sqweebking
Gear: Roland, Moog, Yamaha, Korg, Novation, etc.
Band: sqweebking

Properly storing synths?

Post by sqweebking » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:26 am

Im going to be moving into my sisters place in the next few weeks, switching jobs and trying to save money all at the same time. Unfortunately this means I wont have enough space to put all my keyboards and rack gear into her house as theres only a spare bedroom available. :(

This will only be temporary and im hoping less than a year if everything at the new job goes well. So in the mean time im going to have to get a storage unit to put about 90% of my belongings in. I know at the very least I want it to be climate controlled but how can I safely store most of my gear?

Ive got 16 keyboards, 2 8u racks and a ton of misc (drum machines, grooveboxes, desktop modules, cables). All that and Ive only got 2 cases, and 2 gig bags that will be used to enclose keyboards.

Are there any good/safe methods to storing electronic gear? Obviously want to make sure moisture and extreme fluctuations in temperature aren't an issue but what else do I need to take into consideration? Ive spent way too much money on all these pieces to have them degrade to worthless heaps during this transition. Any tips, tricks, general information on preserving my investments would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Re: Properly storing synths?

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:32 am

If I were you, I would probably pack them as if I intended to ship them... wrapping the item in bubblewrap, and sealing it airtight with packing tape, and putting that in a box with peanuts. (if you were really shipping, I'd suggest a layer of cardboard between sealed bubblewrap and popcorn, but yea) If you have a climate-controlled space, this should protect your gear for a long time. It's much cheaper than buying cases, too. Cases are also okay, but there's something to be said for being sealed!
I have stored equipment long-term in storage in less than this, and it's been okay. The real thing to avoid is dust, extreme temperature changes over a short time, and moisture. If you can avoid those three, your equipment should be fine.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

sqweebking

Post by sqweebking » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:38 am

Thanks AG, I was considering doing just that. Ill be needing to buy some boxes anyway...

ColorForm2113
Gear: tin cans and rubber bands
Band: Me twiddling in the corner...

Post by ColorForm2113 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:50 am

sqweebking wrote:Thanks AG, I was considering doing just that. Ill be needing to buy some boxes anyway...
buying boxes is for suckers. just go to your local stores (dollar stores, grocery stores, appliance stores, whatever) and find out when they recieve their shipments and then ask if you could take some boxes off their hands when theyre done unpacking merchandise. ive done this a few times, you may even get some packing peanuts and bubble wrap out of it. its free, ecofriendly, and saves dumpster space and time cleaning up for the shops. everybody wins :mrgreen:
My modular so far: Q104, Q106, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M (x2 STEREO!)

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:26 am

ColorForm2113 wrote:
sqweebking wrote:Thanks AG, I was considering doing just that. Ill be needing to buy some boxes anyway...
buying boxes is for suckers. just go to your local stores (dollar stores, grocery stores, appliance stores, whatever) and find out when they recieve their shipments and then ask if you could take some boxes off their hands when theyre done unpacking merchandise. ive done this a few times, you may even get some packing peanuts and bubble wrap out of it. its free, ecofriendly, and saves dumpster space and time cleaning up for the shops. everybody wins :mrgreen:

That doesn't work very well in some areas (like here) because all the cardboard boxes are crushed,bound and sent out for recycling...

ColorForm2113
Gear: tin cans and rubber bands
Band: Me twiddling in the corner...

Post by ColorForm2113 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:39 am

Ashe37 wrote:
ColorForm2113 wrote:

That doesn't work very well in some areas (like here) because all the cardboard boxes are crushed,bound and sent out for recycling...
bah! all this recycling keeps screwing up my free-cycling...
My modular so far: Q104, Q106, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M (x2 STEREO!)

I12

Post by I12 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:58 am

If your in a humid area get some desicant or what ever its called to absorb any moisture inside the packing
Dont bother its not worth it!

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:12 am

btw, dessicant can be recycled by putting it in an oven to dry it back out...

Shreddie
Gear: Alesis Andromeda, Fusion 8HD: ART SGX Nightbass SE: Kawai K5000s: Yamaha A3000 V2, EX7, FS1R, PSS-480 (Don't laugh, it rocks!) and 4 planks.

Post by Shreddie » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:37 pm

Dessicant = Silica Gel... You often find those tiny sachets bunged in the boxes of new electronics but you can buy big bags fairly cheaply... Just put a small handful in a muslin (or breathable fabric) bag, bung it in your box, job done.

Oh, and it can be dried out in an oven but try and keep it at a low heat (100oC or below) or it can burn.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:07 pm

ColorForm2113 wrote:
I'm with ColorForm...

But what I usually do is go to music stores... not so much the Guitar Centers, but the local music stores which sell primarily pianos and also piano-like keyboards. They usually have TONS of extremely thick former-keyboard-encasing boxes, and other things like corner reinforcement. They're usually all too pleased for you to take it off their hands!
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:35 pm

we recently had some floods here due to the hurricane. The water invaded everything, leaving a lot of people homeless....

I bough like 50 thrash bags and wrapped them very tight to prevent any water infiltration..... I even put some styrofoam, maybe they could float river down.....

Well, that's not your case, but I just recently had to pack and unpack everything ;)
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:34 am

One year we went to Europe during hurricane season, which meant leaving my gear unattended for a while and there were two storms potnentially heading our way.

I sealed up my synths in [;astic bags and got them off the floor. I lent a couple of other instruments to trusted friends fo rht duration of the trip.

The storms did not hit so I don;t really know how well it worked but I left the CS-50 in its wrapping for a year after that. I just never got around to opening it back up.

sqweebking

Post by sqweebking » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:40 am

Alright cool, well ill probably wrapping and packing most of the stuff as if I were going to ship it. Some of the keyboards ill be lending to good friends to use/keep company for the time being. Having the others boxed will make moving them in and around easier and im thinking about selling a few anyway so having them ready to go may help..

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:43 am

send them to me properly :D
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]