Anyone here upgraded DSI EVOLVER KEYBD to the POT version?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Alphacode

Anyone here upgraded DSI EVOLVER KEYBD to the POT version?

Post by Alphacode » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:47 pm

Hi there

I was wondering if i should do it as the encoders doesn't work correctly ?

Any advice?

Thanks

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro One, Analog Keys, Prophet 5, MPC60, TR606, RD8, St. Vincent Guitar, Bluesbreaker amp

Re: Anyone here upgraded DSI EVOLVER KEYBD to the POT versio

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:51 pm

If by not working properly you mean defective, you may want to contact DSI about a repair solution. If you only mean not the way you'd like them to work, the PE conversion may be something you'd be interested in.

Alphacode

Post by Alphacode » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:24 pm

Yes it's freaking jumping in values , Im in Ireland ,no support here .not going to send it to the US for a month to have it fixxed . and i guess the pots are better than the encoders anyway.

Meso
Gear: Roland MV-8800, DSI MEK, Novation KS-4, Waldorf µwave XT, FutureRetro Revolution

Post by Meso » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:37 pm

I have the same problem with my MEK,
jumping values and some knobs don't care wich way I turn they just go up.
I was going to give deoxit a try as DSI recommends,
but as mine was still under warranty I took it to my local DSI dealer.
DSI ship DeoxIT for free to those who suffer from faulty encoders:
http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/sup ... coders.htm

I was thinking about getting the pot upgrade but I can't decide if I should sell it or keep it,
but if I keep it I will probably upgrade the POT's as I dont like the endless encoders, especially on the filter.

tunedLow
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Sage XP 4wt 10
Sage TXL 3wt 710

Post by tunedLow » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:16 pm

Deoxit worked for my MEK jumpy encoders. Like new when I was done, and if I recall correctly they sent it to me for free. I remember thinking I should have done it much sooner.

de raaf

Post by de raaf » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:55 am

dexoit works only for some time before they go wankers again, especially if you have an early production mek
hope to go pot around new year, because it doesn't get used much now.
at least the price is a bit less than i expected.

RD9

Post by RD9 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:23 am

Yeah I've been holding off on getting the upgrade myself, but someone in the Gearslutz forum did it and seems to be happy with the results.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electron ... rd-pe.html

Alphacode

Post by Alphacode » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:56 am

Yeah i.m pretty much sure i'm going for it now after seeing the previous post. Thanks guys !

mao
Gear: Andromeda - Voyager RME - VSynth XT - MonoEvolverKeyboard - NordRack2X - EX-8000 - Waldorf Microwave - Machinedrum - Monomachine

Post by mao » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:35 pm

I have an earlier MEK. Encoders jumps here and there so I asked DSI. DSI sent me the Deoxit. After Deoxit it works like new... for some months. My last Deoxit cleaning was about 3 months ago. Now some encoder starts again to do weird things... so imho... the solution is to buy the POT upgrade.

gd

Post by gd » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:26 pm

You are right about Deoxit being a temporary solution as it just didn't work for me. DSI sent me new bds to replace the defective ones for free. It took about 10 minutes to install them and all has been good for about 1 year now. If these go I will likely upgrade to the pots.
Prophet 08, Mini D, Radias, 2 x JD-990, Juno-60, 2 x JP-8080, Fantom X6, Speakeasy Stereo Rackmount Vintage Tube Preamp ...

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro One, Analog Keys, Prophet 5, MPC60, TR606, RD8, St. Vincent Guitar, Bluesbreaker amp

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:41 pm

mao wrote:I have an earlier MEK. Encoders jumps here and there so I asked DSI. DSI sent me the Deoxit. After Deoxit it works like new... for some months. My last Deoxit cleaning was about 3 months ago. Now some encoder starts again to do weird things... so imho... the solution is to buy the POT upgrade.
That's not a "solution" though. A solution to a problem present in a $1200 synthesizer shouldn't cost anymore money to the consumer. ;)

Cerebral Infect

Post by Cerebral Infect » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:24 pm

Unfortunately, I had the same problem with my new Prophet 08. Doing research on the web, there is rumors that the first run of evolver and prophet 08 had they encoder pots washed out of the lubricant, therefore the contacts inside the encoder doesn't slide or contact correctly between them. So the Deoxit will help to clean out and lub your encoder.

As for replacing the board, DSI sent me new boards to replace the P08 boards because half of the encoder were faulty and the unit was brand new . Installation was super easy. Unscrew, deconnect the cable and reinstall new boards.

If you order the Pot board, you are going to have brand new pots and encoders that haven't been washed out. You will have to remove a component using a soldering iron too.
Minimoog Voyager, Pulse 2, MS-20 Mini, Bass Station 2, Virus TI,DSI Mek, DSI Prophet 08, Nord Modular G2, x0xb0x, MB-6582, Sammich FM, Shruthi XT, Juno 106, S90ES, TX81Z, DM10X e-drums, Rocktron Banshee, Dr-110 and too many VSTs.

RD9

Post by RD9 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:56 pm

I was just looking at the conversion instructions and I was wondering if anyone has any photos of their soldering job regarding the part where it says: "Remove C180 and replace R128 with a jumper wire". It doesn't seem that important, but how long should the wire be? I guess shorter is better, right?

Cerebral Infect

Post by Cerebral Infect » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:39 pm

RD9 wrote:I was just looking at the conversion instructions and I was wondering if anyone has any photos of their soldering job regarding the part where it says: "Remove C180 and replace R128 with a jumper wire". It doesn't seem that important, but how long should the wire be? I guess shorter is better, right?
If you do DIY stuff, you can use a cut resistor leg to bridge the resistor. DSI resistors are surface mount stuff. It is tiny !
Minimoog Voyager, Pulse 2, MS-20 Mini, Bass Station 2, Virus TI,DSI Mek, DSI Prophet 08, Nord Modular G2, x0xb0x, MB-6582, Sammich FM, Shruthi XT, Juno 106, S90ES, TX81Z, DM10X e-drums, Rocktron Banshee, Dr-110 and too many VSTs.

Alphacode

Post by Alphacode » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:07 am

Ok i just ordered the POT conversion and should have it by Friday so i will put together some pics or a video of the whole process for you guys. :D