Anyone here upgraded DSI EVOLVER KEYBD to the POT version?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
mao
Gear: Andromeda - Voyager RME - VSynth XT - MonoEvolverKeyboard - NordRack2X - EX-8000 - Waldorf Microwave - Machinedrum - Monomachine

Re: Anyone here upgraded DSI EVOLVER KEYBD to the POT versio

Post by mao » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:38 pm

Thanks man, I'll order the POT upgrade too.

Yatmandu
Gear: reverse

Post by Yatmandu » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:30 pm

Yes, DeOxit worked for a while, but then the jitterbug came back worse than ever, so I went for the Pot upgrade which I much prefer to the encoders anyway.

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:41 pm

Is this available for the PEK too?
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse

Alphacode

Post by Alphacode » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:39 am

Oh yes it is available for the PEK .costs a lot more though...

Mr. DiSco

Post by Mr. DiSco » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:33 pm

I want a MEK really bad and I found a used one with the old encoders for 750$... I may add the new pots later... Is it a good occasion considering I have no experience with installing those kind of things by myself (but still it may be simple enough for me)?

prinsen
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Blokey, MS10, Matrix-6, Kult, TR-808, Tokai Jazzbass, DIY modular + fx, amps and mics.

Post by prinsen » Sun May 01, 2011 2:33 pm

It's very simple but if you've never messed around with a soldering iron before, then I wouldn't recommend you do the mod yourself. Smd components on an expensive piece, like the MEK, isn't the most ideal place to start your soldering career.

Yatmandu
Gear: reverse

Post by Yatmandu » Mon May 02, 2011 10:15 pm

There's no soldering involved with the DSI Pot replacement. With the PEK at least, you will receive new circuit boards with the Pots already attached to replace the existing ones. All you need is a phillips screwdriver and the ability to read the simple instructions that come with the kit. :) They even have a "recycling" program, where you send back the old boards for a small but welcome rebate. Just ask DSI if they're still doing this.

Mr. DiSco

Post by Mr. DiSco » Mon May 02, 2011 11:00 pm

Yatmandu wrote:There's no soldering involved with the DSI Pot replacement. With the PEK at least, you will receive new circuit boards with the Pots already attached to replace the existing ones. All you need is a phillips screwdriver and the ability to read the simple instructions that come with the kit. :) They even have a "recycling" program, where you send back the old boards for a small but welcome rebate. Just ask DSI if they're still doing this.
Oh! thanks a lot then. It may be my occasion and yes I'll ask DSI. I'm excited about the MEK, really :) .

prinsen
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Blokey, MS10, Matrix-6, Kult, TR-808, Tokai Jazzbass, DIY modular + fx, amps and mics.

Post by prinsen » Mon May 02, 2011 11:50 pm

With the MEK conversion kit there IS indeed some soldering to do. There's a description here: http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/dow ... ctions.pdf

shipwright

Post by shipwright » Tue May 03, 2011 2:01 pm

Yup, just did it a few weeks ago.
And it's worth it, believe me. Now it feels (and looks - i got the new pointer knobs as well) like a whole new instrument - it responds better, it's easier and more immediate to program, and it somehow feels sturdier. And no more random value jumps!

And yes, there is some soldering involved with the MEK - and the parts involved are VERY small, so don't try it yourself unless you really, really feel comfortable with your fine soldering skills and unless you have all the right tools for the job.
PER, MED, Matrix6, Poly61, DX21, RE-501, Jazz bass '62

Jinsai
Gear: Alesis Ion
JX-3P w/Kiwitechnics
Nord Lead 2
Poly Evolver Keyboard
Prophet 12
Tempest
Assorted basses, guitars, software
Band: Sid Luscious and The Pants

Post by Jinsai » Fri May 13, 2011 3:49 am

This thread encouraged me to get the pot version for my PEK. It definitely looks better and the knobs FEEL better for sure. I'm still getting used to programming without the continuous pots.
--
"A musician is someone who's heard a lot of music" - Pierre Boulez