What was THE DX7 sound of the 80's?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50, JV-1080
Band: ArtWithHeart

Re: What was THE DX7 sound of the 80's?

Post by iProg » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:21 pm

Alphacode wrote:The dx was also famous for all the ''brass synth '' sounds like used by Level42 ''We are in the family'' for example .also a very saturaded ( lots of feedback ) bass sound was used in Dire Straits - MTV song .
The Level 42 song you're talking about must be "Running in the Family", right? That is doubled DX-7 mk I brass, indeed.

hfinn mentioned the tubular bells patched, which was also extensively used (check out old VSE thread)

But THE classic sound is no # 11 E. Piano 1

8-)

Alphacode

Post by Alphacode » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:35 am

WE ARE A BIG SYNTH FAMILY ! :D yeah ,i'm c**p in song names ,it is running in the family indeed...

The DX was also used a lot in the Horror and action movies of the 80's

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Post by gcoudert » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:26 pm

Alphacode wrote:The DX was also used a lot in the Horror and action movies of the 80's
It scared the h**l out of analogue synth aficionados as soon as it appeared on the screen!
GC

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:19 pm

Alphacode wrote:
The DX was also used a lot in the Horror and action movies of the 80's
It sure was, especially in Exterminator 2 (1984). David Spear (the composer) performed the entire score
with a DX-7 and an Oberheim dum machine.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

moremagic
Gear: electribe er-1, sp-303, sp-404sx, s612, nuo 2, sl-1200 mk ii, beatstep, eurorack, tb-03, vx-99

Post by moremagic » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:20 am

gcoudert wrote:
Alphacode wrote:The DX was also used a lot in the Horror and action movies of the 80's
It scared the h**l out of analogue synth aficionados as soon as it appeared on the screen!
:lol:
it certainly looks the part of a coldblooded killer!

Dano

Post by Dano » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:13 am

From what I've heard, there was a time in the 80's after the release of the DX7 that Mini Moogs and other now much sought after analog synths became affordable second-hand so many people at VSE would probably at least like it for that! :)

elsongs

Post by elsongs » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:33 am

Alex E wrote:That is correct. Fulltines didn't appear until the mk II DX7's came out. Before then, "the" DX7 rhodes sound was a softer patch known as "E-Piano 1"

All one needed to do is up the Output Level of Operator 2 on the E. PIANO 1 and you got a brighter DX Rhodes sound.
A lot of keyboard players/programmers/producers did this.

elsongs

Post by elsongs » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:34 am

Dano wrote:From what I've heard, there was a time in the 80's after the release of the DX7 that Mini Moogs and other now much sought after analog synths became affordable second-hand so many people at VSE would probably at least like it for that! :)
Yes, I remember seeing a Minimoog at a music store for about $400. Of course, I was a jr. high student at the time, and my allowance money couldn't even cover that!

elsongs

Post by elsongs » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:37 am

tekkentool wrote:
AndyCrystal wrote:I'm desperately looking for some FM Marimba samples :D
Someone's been listening to Toto.... :D

If you're thinking of "Africa," that wasn't a DX7 but a GS-1.

The Marimba sound was The Beastie Boys' "Girls," Cherelle & Alexander O'Neal's "Saturday Love" and Sting's "Love Is The Seventh Wave."

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Post by gcoudert » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:12 am

Dano wrote:From what I've heard, there was a time in the 80's after the release of the DX7 that Mini Moogs and other now much sought after analog synths became affordable second-hand so many people at VSE would probably at least like it for that! :)
You are so right! I got my JX3P, JX8P, DW8000 for close to nothing. Anything that didn't have MIDI wasn't even worth considering back in the mid-80s and I happily sold on my immaculate Juno 60. I also passed on a JP6 and an early PPG for FF4000 - about UK£400 at the time - each and later swapped the JX8P+PG800 and DW8000 for a Korg M1 at a shop in Watford. Having said that, I got my DX7 mark 1 for £27 from a guy in East London via eBay!!!
As for drum machines, anything that wasn't a Linn was a crappy toy, especially the Roland CR/DR/TR range, although the TR707 was found in many studios owing to its ability to output an FSK sync code ("tape sync") which could be recorded onto a track although it could only be used in conjunction with MIDI Clock; this allowed you to record sequenced parts from different physical instruments on separate tracks one by one. I am talking about multi-track analogue reel-to-reel recording here. Oh, I do miss the 80s!

Now this is nothing to do with synths but I see you're in Springfield, IL, Dano. I have a close friend in Jacksonville who works in Springfield. We visited the area back in 2005. My claim to fame is that my whole family managed to use the Speaker of the Illinois House of Representatives' personal toilet!
GC

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by gcoudert » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:21 am

AndyCrystal wrote:I'm desperately looking for some FM Marimba samples :D
What you'll find with samples of FM synths is that if velocity is routed to modulators on the original synth, it is totally impossible for the sampler to reproduce the effect that velocity would normally have on the sound.
Having said that, I'm happy to sample all 61 notes of the DX7/TX7's Marimba preset at a fixed velocity if you're interested. Just pm me.
GC

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:17 am

elsongs wrote: If you're thinking of "Africa," that wasn't a DX7 but a GS-1.
I was thinking of the gs-1. Which is FM too.....

White
Gear: Quite a few synths

Post by White » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:51 am

OK, was there a DX7 used on "Welcome To The Pleasure Dome" by Frankie Goes To Hollywood and "All Cried Out" by Alison Moyet? If so what is that sound? It's like a cross between a pad and a bell sound.
Duncan J. White + quite a few synths
http://www.myspace.com/stickman76590059

mharris80
Gear: Korg M1
MicroKorg
Ensoniq ASR 88
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Roland JX-8P
Roland MKS-50
Yamaha RX7
M Audio Oxygen 49
AV Linux

Post by mharris80 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:52 pm

Esus wrote:
Alex E wrote:That is correct. Fulltines didn't appear until the mk II DX7's came out. Before then, "the" DX7 rhodes sound was a softer patch known as "E-Piano 1"
A good (or bad, depending on your POV) example, is Who's Holding Donna Now? by DeBarge (mid 80's?)
The best (worst? hehe) example, though, has to be "The Greatest Love of All". If that damn song were any more sickly-sweet, it'd send a person into diabetic shock. Turns my stomach just thinkin' about it. :shock:

Dano

Post by Dano » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:42 am

elsongs wrote:All one needed to do is up the Output Level of Operator 2 on the E. PIANO 1 and you got a brighter DX Rhodes sound. A lot of keyboard players/programmers/producers did this.
I've read somewhere though that something like 96% of DX7s returned to the factory for repairs, etc. hadn't even had a single edit done to any of the presets.