As promised Pics of the modification of the Evolver keyboard

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Alphacode

As promised Pics of the modification of the Evolver keyboard

Post by Alphacode » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:50 am

Hi All

So here i am minutes after finishing the modification to my Evolver . Seriously i am hugely impressed by DSI customer service ! All delivered promptly and well packaged.

The whole mod took seriously 1 hour ! If you ever soldered ,you should not have any problems with the nanotechnology in the MEK. It was my first time actually with such small components...

So here are the pics. ( the capacitor soldered on the main board just served as wire here, and was removed / leg cut )

skweeegor

Re: As promised Pics of the modification of the Evolver keyb

Post by skweeegor » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:27 am

Is that the pot mod? God, I hate de-soldering with a passion, I doubt I'd have the balls to do that.

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, DX7, TX7, Juno-106, AX60, Pro One, S1000, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:27 am

Lemme just say that looks GREAT.
soundcloud.com/vectron

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:33 am

skweeegor wrote:Is that the pot mod? God, I hate de-soldering with a passion, I doubt I'd have the balls to do that.
Haven't read the instructions but I doubt there's much desoldering.. it's mostly just daughterboard replacements judging by the pics?

Considering how much hate I have for the set of encoders in my DSI Mopho keyboard I would definitely consider this an investment if you had a DSI synth with encoders.. their encoders suck.

RD9

Post by RD9 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:51 am

Awesome. Thanks for the detail shot!

Alphacode

Post by Alphacode » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:55 am

Ok the desoldering part is not difficult but its tricky.my recomondarions; a good soldering iron with a fine tip! I hadnt one and struggled there for a few minutes.otherwise it.s ok

As for the pots. The difference is extreme! The remaining encoders are a different type. They are click encoders so at
every click you have + - 1 no more jumping values!

Great job Dave!

skweeegor

Post by skweeegor » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:29 pm

th0mas wrote:
skweeegor wrote:Is that the pot mod? God, I hate de-soldering with a passion, I doubt I'd have the balls to do that.
Haven't read the instructions but I doubt there's much desoldering.. it's mostly just daughterboard replacements judging by the pics?

Considering how much hate I have for the set of encoders in my DSI Mopho keyboard I would definitely consider this an investment if you had a DSI synth with encoders.. their encoders suck.
Ah, that makes more sense. The thought of desoldering every single encoder is :o

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:11 pm

That looks AWESOME!

wish they made a desktop-pot-expansion-with-new-case for the tetra... (like a mopho keys without the keys)

instead I am sitting here soldering 35+ pots to wires and wires to a midi board..

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:48 pm

Alphacode wrote: The whole mod took seriously 1 hour ! If you ever soldered ,you should not have any problems with the nanotechnology in the MEK. It was my first time actually with such small components...
:lol: I didn't realize DSI was that far advanced in their tech! ;)

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:49 pm

skweeegor wrote:God, I hate de-soldering with a passion, I doubt I'd have the balls to do that.
this. de-soldering is my worst nightmare. i could never steady myself to de-solder SMT components.

danbroad
Gear: TSC4 P12 NI9

Post by danbroad » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:43 pm

Looks good. After naively posting that the pots were fine, and that failure was over-reported..... mine have started to fail aswell, after just three months of ownership. I have a feeling, though, that serial number 009** might have been sitting on the shelf for a while. Fortunately, I'm well within warranty [DV247.com in the UK give four years free with every item sold] so it's off to them for a pot upgrade.

DSI have been pretty good so far - Tracy offered me the indented encoders as a free swap, or the pots for $140. [Obviously, I'd rather have the pots upgraded for free aswell... but I'll take their goodwill gesture in good faith.]

Anyhow, looking forward to the chick and the boom of the new DSI announcement at NAMM [without wanting to provide any Korg-Kronos-type guesses.....], but - hey, Dave! - how's about a single rack unit version of the Mopho? Should be a straightforward enough port to rack [unlike the PER, the Mopho's front panel controls would fit nicely into a single unit space], and then we could chain them, power them, and use them without a mess of desktop cabling.

I figure it'd look a little bit like the E-Mu Extreme lead - yellow faceplate, 10 knobs...small display... USB and chain/MIDI/CV etc at the back. Lovely...
Less words more noise

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:51 pm

StepLogik wrote:
Alphacode wrote: The whole mod took seriously 1 hour ! If you ever soldered ,you should not have any problems with the nanotechnology in the MEK. It was my first time actually with such small components...
:lol: I didn't realize DSI was that far advanced in their tech! ;)
The box is just there to fool you. The real circuits are implanted in your brain. :mrgreen:
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!