Any need for VA gear still??

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Synthacon
Gear: Hard and Soft Synths

Any need for VA gear still??

Post by Synthacon » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:23 pm

With the amount of real analogue gear out there growing by the month, and of course a mass of gear available used, is there any need for the VA to continue?

The ongoing bashing of the VA not sounding like a real analogue is never going away so why continue to buy?

Just something that had crossed my mind this last week or so.
You always want just one more Synth!

mharris80
Gear: Korg M1
MicroKorg
Ensoniq ASR 88
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Roland JX-8P
Roland MKS-50
Yamaha RX7
M Audio Oxygen 49
AV Linux

Re: Any need for VA gear still??

Post by mharris80 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:28 pm

I think it will continue to fill a need for some time to come. Look at how much all those hipsters and EMO brats love the MicroKorg. Plus, watching some of the videos Jexus has put up has really shown what these things are truly capable of. Just my view of it, anyway.

Polarelch

Post by Polarelch » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:22 am

Of course, there will alway be, as long as there are synth.keyboarders who want to make music without computer, and as long as there is no new truely (more than 4 voices) polyphonic analogue keyboard synth under 1000 Euros available.

VA desktops or racks though..... not as much a need for I'd say.

bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: minimoog polymoog memorymoog multimoog micromoog minitmoog and tons more.

Post by bochelli » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:13 am

VA As i see it what more is there , been there done that what next?, what IS next? not much i think, the old machines are alive and well and how do they stand up today in a so called modern world, quite well seems the answer.
yamoto773

tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:12 am

VAs work well for touring musicians who don't want computers onstage
Moog LP + Casio SK1 and MT-75 + tube amp = good tone.

Scories
Gear: Micromoog, JX-3P, Minikorg 700, Z1

Post by Scories » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:31 am

Polyphonic analog synths are still very expensive, so yes, they are still useful.

Roby31
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Waldorf Micro Q (Yellow)
Access Virus TI 2 Desktop
Casio VL-1

Post by Roby31 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:35 am

Yes, many VAs have gone beyond the VA part itself, and even those that didn't go that far might posses some features, like extended modulation, that analog monos/polys simply don't have unless you're interested in modulars. That stuff is invaluable for achieving some kind of sounds which would require modular capabilities or extreme multitracking.
So, give me your VAs.
Sorry for my unintentional killing of the English language. I'm Italian, you know :) - "What would Jexus do?" - Stew-diah

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, Juno-60, Polysix, Emulator II, DX7, QX1, Arp Odyssey MKII, ESQ-1, Miami, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:57 am

YES.

Can you imagine what it would take to build an all analog Alesis Ion? It would probably cost more than an Andromeda.
soundcloud.com/vectron

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:47 am

As I concluded with the sale of my JP8, some people don't care for the amount of space polysynths take up, and still being limited to 8 voices, and no effects or whatever other features they may lack.

The OP's point might be my favorite subject: "It's the sound, buddy, THAT Sound!". Why buy vintage analog if not for that? If that's all that's important, and you can live with the other limitations to integrate into a studio, or even dare to take it on the road, then perhaps the answer for you would be "No, there's no need for VA in your setup."

If you're still reading at this point, you might ask, "Why did you sell your Jupe so you could use Arturia JP-8V?". I also sampled the Jupe. :)
Just wasn't using it enough to justify the space it took up. I wanted a few things it couldn't deliver, too. And I got a crapload of gear with the money it brought in, none of which was VA.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

Cerebral Infect

Post by Cerebral Infect » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:02 am

Even though my motto for buying synths is analogue only for hardware synths. Assuming that VST synths will cover everyting VA related. Still Ihave a Virus Ti and a Nord Modular G2, Guess why ? For the sound of the unit. I love the filter & digital saturation of the Virus. I like the G2 graphic interface and use it as an effect processor with low latency for my bass and guitar.

And as the previous user said, you can cramp way more function in a VA than a RA. So at one moment you might need alot of features in one instrument at a more convenient price.

I hope that the next generation of VA will be instruments that will have an emphasive on the interface providing a unique experience playing with the synths (think Hartman Neuron)
Minimoog Voyager, Pulse 2, MS-20 Mini, Bass Station 2, Virus TI,DSI Mek, DSI Prophet 08, Nord Modular G2, x0xb0x, MB-6582, Sammich FM, Shruthi XT, Juno 106, S90ES, TX81Z, DM10X e-drums, Rocktron Banshee, Dr-110 and too many VSTs.

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:48 am

The ongoing bashing of the VA not sounding like a real analogue is never going away so why continue to buy?

Only purists think that way. For you to "know what you're missing" by going VA, you'd have to have owned a bunch of analogues and used them a fair amount. That said, why would that person suddenly be snapping up VAs? It's mostly anal-analogues ragging on the VA users.
I usually just make a clean split between Digital and Analogue, it's Chips verse DSP...in a way.

I would gamble, among the many VA users; some don't care about the difference, aren't overly impressed with the analogue sound to begin with or don't care to be revisiting tones from decades past. Or (heavens no!) might actually like sounds OTHER than analogue.

This would be a better argument if analogue did what digital does and more, but it doesn't.

God bless the musician whose sound palette can be fully supplied by analogue synths alone.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:56 am

Of course you need VAs, it's really hard to emulate a VA sound with a real analogue. Also, supersaws.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:10 am

Solderman wrote:If you're still reading at this point, you might ask, "Why did you sell your Jupe so you could use Arturia JP-8V?". I also sampled the Jupe. :)
:lol:

can't really get the same kinds of sounds from my analogs that i can from my va's. i'd describe it as a cool glowing sort of sound as opposed to the warm buzzy sound. i've tried some software that sounds pretty nice as well, tone2 gladiator especially. if i had some extra dough, i might be swayed to pick it up, but i can't say i wouldn't get an ion first ;). if you have a bunch of va's or soft synths and you want a way to get the occasional warm lead or fat bass, i'd suggest picking up an ensoniq mirage.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:11 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:Of course you need VAs, it's really hard to emulate a VA sound with a real analogue. Also, supersaws.
somehow missed this post...
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:19 am

Virus TI- 16 part multitimbral, @50 voices under normal multitimbral use

so basically, its worth about 5 analog polysynths.

Heck, my nova is 6-way multitimbral and 24 voices. I can tuck it in my backpack. I hate to think about carrying a 24-voice analog polysynth :D