Ensoniq TS-Series

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
najvrtson
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Ensoniq TS-Series

Post by najvrtson » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:16 pm

Hello All, I have just one question regarding to above mentioned TS-Series synthesizers from Ensoniq. I miss them here on VSE, but I think, they belong here. What do you think about? I can prepare a short description, pictures and demos about them... Thanks for each comment in advance. Michal

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Re: Ensoniq TS-Series

Post by rhino » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:28 pm

Second the motion.
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

Juno6

Post by Juno6 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:59 pm

I used to think they were s**t. But I recently bought a TS10 and is great! Wavetable (PPG type), Wavesequencing (Wavestation type) and Sample Playback (ROM + reads ASR/EPS disks) synthesis methods. DP4 type effects. Nice sequencer. Nice high end sound, even though it´s sample rate is something like 32khz. Poly-aftertouch.
Really nice looking. ;)

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:27 pm

while @ Angelo's (guitarsandsynths) last week I noticed, among his massive .com modular, modelD, P5, JP-8 and OB-8...there was a skinny TS-10 right in the thick of it. It never comes up for discussion 'round here or elsewhere much, so I had to ask about it.
He praised the sound and polyAT quite highly.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

Juno6

Post by Juno6 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:47 pm

I have to add that when you load a sample it BECOMES an ASR-10, which means you have all the realtime control over loop and star/end points, which is fantastic for glitch. And as a Wavetable synth you can import new wavetables or make your own. :giveheart:

guitarsandsynths
Band: Brazility

Post by guitarsandsynths » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:00 am

shaft9000 wrote:while @ Angelo's (guitarsandsynths) last week I noticed, among his massive .com modular, modelD, P5, JP-8 and OB-8...there was a skinny TS-10 right in the thick of it. It never comes up for discussion 'round here or elsewhere much, so I had to ask about it.
He praised the sound and polyAT quite highly.

And you saw it today, resting against the wall, waiting for it's turn on the chopping block. I have to sell it. Need the $ and don't have the room for it anymore. I'll list it tomorrow. As usual VSErs will have first dibs.
I have used it for many years, and must say that it made me quite a bit of $, Before I had analog, the TS was my only board. I had a TS 12 back in Brazil, and got the TS 10 when I moved here. Also because it's full of features, this board holds it's value pretty well.
Minimoog ModelD Prophet5 Roland Jupiter8 SH7 GR9 CSQ100 TR606 TR707 TR727 Oberheim OB8 ARP2600 KorgVC10 Rhodes73 Wurlitzer 200A ClavinetII DOTCOM PearlDRX1 TamaTS202 Simmons SDS9

vcs3
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: BitOne,DX7II, M-1000, ESQm, Procussion, NanoSynth, VL1, P2500, K5000R, FS1r, JX-3P, Ju-60,HR-16, CZ1000, RX-5,K2600S, Nord G1r, G2, XL-7, Shuthri-1

Post by vcs3 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:29 pm

One think that puzzles me is: why there is no entry in the VSE database for the TS-10/12?
We have to search the web for info about them.

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:49 pm

I think many members either forget or new ones aren't aware of it, but mr vintagesynth has posted a thread at the top of this forum where members can submit an application to review equipment to go into the database.
It would be great if you took the time to review this great synth.

Here is the link:
http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... =1&t=53086
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

vcs3
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: BitOne,DX7II, M-1000, ESQm, Procussion, NanoSynth, VL1, P2500, K5000R, FS1r, JX-3P, Ju-60,HR-16, CZ1000, RX-5,K2600S, Nord G1r, G2, XL-7, Shuthri-1

Post by vcs3 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:54 pm

seamonkey wrote:I think many members either forget or new ones aren't aware of it, but mr vintagesynth has posted a thread at the top of this forum where members can submit an application to review equipment to go into the database.
It would be great if you took the time to review this great synth.

Here is the link:
http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... =1&t=53086
I had love but I don't have one! :(

ronP
Gear: BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO MT-70; KORG EA-1 mkII, MicroKorg, microSTATION, MicroX, Mini-KP, Monotron; ROLAND Micro Cube; ZOOM FS01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B
Band: Keyfish

Post by ronP » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:23 pm

oo

ENSONIQ TS-10 spotted in this video by A Flock of Seagulls . . .

"Rainfall"

oo
BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO Casiotone MT-70; KORG Electribe EA-1mkII, microKORG, mini-KP; QUIKLOK T20 T-REX Series X;
ROLAND Micro-CUBE; YAMAHA PSS130, PSS140; ZOOM FS-01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B

Wanted: BOSS DR-110; CASIO CZ-101; YAMAHA CS-01, DX-100

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:44 pm

vcs3 wrote: I had love but I don't have one! :(
My bad...I should have quoted the original poster who said he'd write a review and add some demos.
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

najvrtson
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by najvrtson » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:54 pm

Hello there, thank all of you for your reactions. OK, I'll try to write an article, but it will require some corrections in my poor English...
I have my own website in Czech language which is mostly focused on electronic and electrophonic keyboard instruments made in Czechoslovakia, but I also introducted a few foreign instruments there, and the TS-series is between them (the direct link on TS-10/12 page is here: http://czechkeys.blog.cz/0801/ensoniq-ts-12 - please, use some language translator). I also recorded a short and simple demo with my TS-10 which is mentioned below the article.

slippast

Post by slippast » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:29 am

I'm a long-time lurker, this thread got me to register :)

I recently picked up a TS10 for spare change and have set out to familiarize myself. My first impression is that it sounds amazing. Stock patches are too 'Romplery' but I can hear the potential.

My gripe is that I spent an entire evening trying to get a couple of disks made with little success. I got a few samples working but I never got an image successfully created. The PC tools are so rudimentary and old that I fear the keyboard sampler will be unusable in a few years. So I'm considering dumping it on ebay for something else.

And I'm surprised to find that despite being such a popular keyboard there's hardly anything out there on the web in terms of resources. Does anyone know where to find some free/decent ASR samples? How about some TS patches? I've got DX7 patches coming out my ears but the TS is like a desert.

My gut tells me it could be a really fun board but I don't know if I want the hassle! Is it worth it?

As a side note, I believe I've found some upgrade sources for the TS on the web. It appears that you can max the RAM and get the sequencer upgraded for around $30. I bought a sequencer chip ($9.99) but didn't realize they come in pairs until I opened the machine up...so I'm ordering a second one.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:01 am

can the TS-10 load VFX patches? I know it can load ASR stuff...

najvrtson
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by najvrtson » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:46 pm

Hello, I spent the yesterdays evening to write the promissed article regarding to the TS-Series Ensoniqs, which is almost finished now. Hope, you will find all needed information + I will place there all known links.
I hope to send it today to Rhino for language check (Englis is not my native language...) and then I will submit it to VSE together with photos and above mentioned links.
Regarding to the compatibility: The TS-Series instrumenst use its own disk format and can not use the patches from VFX. They only can read the disks from ASR-10/88, EPS 16 Plus and original EPS.
Michal