Ensoniq TS-Series

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
guitarsandsynths
Band: Brazility

Re: Ensoniq TS-Series

Post by guitarsandsynths » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:49 pm

I just sold it for $1000 on ebay. The auction ended in 3 minutes with buy it now! :)
Minimoog ModelD Prophet5 Roland Jupiter8 SH7 GR9 CSQ100 TR606 TR707 TR727 Oberheim OB8 ARP2600 KorgVC10 Rhodes73 Wurlitzer 200A ClavinetII DOTCOM PearlDRX1 TamaTS202 Simmons SDS9

najvrtson
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by najvrtson » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:59 pm

guitarsandsynths wrote:I just sold it for $1000 on ebay. The auction ended in 3 minutes with buy it now! :)
Congratulations. But I afraid, you will miss it. I sold my TS-12 in 2008 to it's original owner (!) and then I bought TS-10 year and half later... I know another several people who sold their TS and then they were looking for another one ;)

guitarsandsynths
Band: Brazility

Post by guitarsandsynths » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:17 pm

najvrtson wrote:
guitarsandsynths wrote:I just sold it for $1000 on ebay. The auction ended in 3 minutes with buy it now! :)
Congratulations. But I afraid, you will miss it. I sold my TS-12 in 2008 to it's original owner (!) and then I bought TS-10 year and half later... I know another several people who sold their TS and then they were looking for another one ;)
I'm already looking. ;)
I wonder how many ts10s were made. I would imagine 10s of 1000s, but I could be wrong.
Minimoog ModelD Prophet5 Roland Jupiter8 SH7 GR9 CSQ100 TR606 TR707 TR727 Oberheim OB8 ARP2600 KorgVC10 Rhodes73 Wurlitzer 200A ClavinetII DOTCOM PearlDRX1 TamaTS202 Simmons SDS9

najvrtson
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by najvrtson » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:35 pm

guitarsandsynths wrote:
najvrtson wrote:
I'm already looking. ;)
I wonder how many ts10s were made. I would imagine 10s of 1000s, but I could be wrong.
To be honest, I have no idea, how many of them were produced (I guess thousands of them...). But I'm sure, they are hard to find here in middle of Europe and they are still valuable.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:17 pm

I had the TS 10 from 1995 to 1998. I got it when they were on stock on Stores, for a HUGE expensive price.

Loved it, I remember that it was the only workstation on those years, that were capable to load a sample per key.

It had a lovely brass sound, mmm a sequencer of 30.000 notes with with 24 tracks, that was my favorite specification, since it was my only synth during 3 years, and used it absolutely every day at least a couple of hours.

It's a shame that all the songs recorded on cassette from those years are lost, since I made dozens of tracks 100% TS 10.

I left at the dealer, a Ensoniq SQ 1 plus, left it as part of the payment (f**k c**p). Changing from the SQ1 plus to that was a big step.

Congratulations. I'm one of hugest fans from Ensoniq here, I miss them so much. Really miss their passion for their instruments, just reading ensoniq manuals is very pleasant, since they are too clever, and even with a great sense of humor

In my opinion, TS10 ws ahead of his time when talking about workstations. Huge display, formidable hardware, and a very clear sound and perfect sequencer. Is a shame filter does not has resonance, but I didn't know anything about reso on those years, so I didn't miss them.

I had to sell it on a economic crisis. Sure, it's the synth that I miss the most on my setup. Would sell my a*s to get it again.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

najvrtson
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by najvrtson » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:40 pm

Hello All, the article was submitted to VSE right now, hope, they will release in near time. Special thanks to Rhino, who helped me with the language correction.
Enjoy your music!
Michal

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:26 pm

Thanks , your time, effort and enthusiasm will be welcome here.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

slippast

Post by slippast » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:46 pm

Hi ya'll. Just thought I'd throw this out there for the other TS owners. In case you have any interest in maxing out your sequencer here's a relatively cheap way to do it. I bought the generic upgrade chips off ebay from a guy in china. They arrived pretty fast and worked perfectly. (This isn't my auction).
http://cgi.ebay.com/2pcs-DIP-IC-LP62102 ... 4aa446226a

$17, not bad when others are selling the upgrade for $40 or $50. I'm sure the chips are like $1 each in bulk but whatever. Hope that helps someone out. :)

Slovenec

Post by Slovenec » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:32 am

I recently purchased a TS12 with a double tier stand and hard case for $400AUD and it's one fantastic keyboard! I remember lusting over the TS series in the early 90s when they were released but couldn't afford to buy one (especially the TS12 that cost $5000AUD in 1994!).

The instrument has a great GUI and that large LCD is great when playing live (I used it for the 1st time live last weekend!). The 'rude guitar' program is the BEST distorted guitar program in the keyboard if played 'correctly', thinking like a guitar instead of a keyboard. The other strong sounds are some of the organs, pads, drums, bass and I even like the 6 string guitar program. Weaker sounds are solo brass and woodwind (as is the case on ANY rompler from that era!), strings and the EPs are too 90s(!!!) sounding- wow what does one expect from a 90s era instrument! LOLLOL. :)

I've ordered the SQX70 sequencer expander and am looking at expanding the RAM to 8MB but I can't find an SP4 SCSI board anywhere. Oh, the action of the weighted 76 keys is fantastic!

I'm glad that I own this board and it will go very nicely with my newer Kurzweil PC361 at bigger gigs. The biggest limitation of this instrument are it's non resonant filters.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:29 pm

I've done some tests running my SD-1 (VERY closely related model) through a resonant filter and the results are.... interesting. Better than the TG-33 tests....

slippast

Post by slippast » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:46 pm

Slovenec wrote:I've ordered the SQX70 sequencer expander and am looking at expanding the RAM to 8MB but I can't find an SP4 SCSI board anywhere.
Make sure you check around before buying that stuff. Folks on ebay will sell the expander kit for like $50 and ram expansion for about the same. You can get the ram upgrade for ~$10 and the expander for ~$20. As for the SCSI card, the last one on ebay went for $250. That card would really be a game changer or this synth, at least in my mind. Apparently others think that too!

I saw the big picture of the expander chip on this page: http://www.ts12.net/ts12-ev-ausbau-optionen.html and tracked one down on ebay. It was cheap so I tried it and it worked perfectly. I found the ram via some random web site, can't recall where that was now. Google the ram specs and you'll find it.

It's been a while since I played that keyboard, doesn't it have an effects loop? I wonder if you could do a resonant filter that way?

On a side note, you can find disc images but I was never able to get them to work very well with any of the drive emulators. I followed a number of step-by-steps and couldn't get the discs to work consistently. Anyone else have any luck with that?