The great JX8P giveaway! -thoughts on the synth-

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

The great JX8P giveaway! -thoughts on the synth-

Post by ryryoftokyo » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:08 pm

So, I semi recently got a JX8P from my friend for free...he was downsizing his studio, knew I loved synths, and showed up at my work with a JX8P and M16C (cart)...Weird enough...

Fast forward to last week and I finish my set at 119 Gallery in Lowell and up comes Walter (the owner) with a JX8P...He gives it to the opening band for free...Apparently we're in the midst of a JX8P giveaway! Anybody have anything to add? Gotten any free synths lately?

As far as the 8P, I've grown to really like it...It does sound a bit harsh and digital at times, but once you know how to make it sing, it can really come alive...wonderful for deep pads, HUGE leads, evolving drones, punchy basses, and some nice brass. I wish the aftertouch actually worked without me having to slam down on the keys like an enraged gorilla, but what can ya do? Also, the chorus is a bit on the noisy side, but how much can I complain when my cost was $0.00? :mrgreen:
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: The great JX8P giveaway! -thoughts on the synth-

Post by sam » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:56 pm

I helped a guy with repairing a couple of his synths...I didn't ask for anything..

He gave me a polymoog... :D

I nearly cried..
Lam memorymoog.Sonic six.Vp330 mk1.SH101.OSCar.ARP odyssey..multivox mx3000.Solina stringsynth.polivox
ms20/50.Andromeda. OBX.
Prophet 5 Pro-one. Wasp.EMS AKS.

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, DX7, TX7, Juno-106, AX60, Pro One, S1000, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:04 pm

Well I did give a friend a kinda wongo ESQ-1 and 99.9% functional ER-1 mk1 before I moved to California.
soundcloud.com/vectron

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Post by rhino » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:16 pm

the "Mr. Green" smiley is not enough: We need one for screaming, eye-bulging, nose-bleed ENVY !!!!!!
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

Snarecrash

Post by Snarecrash » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:29 pm

I don't understand, why are all those people giving away their JX8P? #-o
It really isn't a bad synth. I actually love mine! I even have two of them... and i even have a picture of it on a T-Shirt! :oops:

Well, i only have two because i found one in mint condition and couldn't let pass it by.
My brother showed interest in a JX8P so i probably give him one soon, the one with the small issues. :biggrin: But he will get it for a very low price so it's nearly a give-away.

Maybe all those JX8P away givers also have two. :wink2:

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:30 am

My JX-8P was the synth that took the longest (of the ones I still like) to grow on me.

Now I find I really like it, I like it's keys and it's feel (even though some say it's clunky, I don't care it's easily the nicest action I have out of all the synths I own inc the 'quality' Yamaha keybeds) It's quieter and softer than the yammys keys but still has a semi piano feel so good for controlling piano samplers etc (I wonder if late/early model 8Ps have diff keybeds and that's why some complain? I saw an advert for rubber cup strips for the 8P where Mine at least uses proper metal contacts like the yamahas??)

I also managed a few sounds on it that none of my other synths could do, through external effects it sings. I have a patch that sounds very similar to the intro synth on 'new religion' (Duran @ ~0:25 mark, I assume that's a jupiter 8 and this patch is very close if not 'better' in some ways!) which is a kind of evolving and fading filtery atmospheric thing that during the fade actually wells up a couple of times (like a dying storm). It's also pretty versatile in what it can do, and it's pads and strings have emotion and a glossy warmth. Though it can start sounding a bit IR3R05 ish at times (stay away from high resonance) and the filters in the 3P sound way nicer to my ears, those extra things on the 8P means it sounds different but just takes a bit more work. I also have a patch that in unison sounds a bit like the tour de france lead sound...

It does sound very 'hybrid' rather than warm/organic analog (such as the Polysix) and sounds more digital than the JX-3P but it's not a bad thing, it's like a warm digital synth at worst and an epic smooth pad monster at best. It can do bassy sounds (pref layered with 'better' synth bass) and some smooth-ish leads (with solo/portamento unlike my other analogs), and of course monstrous sync sounds (put through guitar pedal distortion for 'all she wants is' sound - another DD ref sorry, NR used a JX-10 for that but 8P does it the same)

It does have an image problem though, lots of people REALLY seem to hate it - partly due to weak filters and partly cos of the flat buttons in place of sliders and partly cos of slow envelopes I assume, but those who get to know and appreciate it find it quite hard to let go it seems, it's always a nice synth to have around esp as they are so cheap they are barely worth selling. I use mine as my main controller. And the aftertouch on mine works perfectly, it's such a light touch needed that I actually have to turn the AT slider down to ensure I don't get auto vib/brightness etc - all I did was clean it properly as shown on the net and it works and works well (better than my other AT keyboards I had) I find it very controllable aftertouch you can feel the range of pressure as the AT is increased, on many synths it's more like on or off (inc the SY77). Give the AT a clean and clean all the key contacts and regrease it and it feels great.

Some people don't like the way it looks, but for some reason I do - it looks especially good on the 2nd tier (or an angled tier) of your synth stand rather than flat for some reason, and the NON LCD display is a bonus (so long as it doesn't burn out ;) ) as readability is great and it looks nicer. Sure it could have done with better build quality on the end cheeks but for what it is and what it costs and what it can do it must be the most under-rated synth going, perhaps too many haters assumed it would be like a Moog or a fast env techno machine rather than realising synths CAN be different and not all of them have to be punchy mo-fos.

Roland released it as the successor to the Jupiter 8 and Jupiter 6, now I'm not saying it's as good as those but it can do some things just as well and can imitate certain JP-8 type sounds but with more of a digital edge.

drawtippy
Band: Draw Tippy

Post by drawtippy » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:11 pm

Lucky you! I think the 8P is quite nice. I bought one for my girlfriend so she could play around with something on her own. Eventually, I couldn't resist and started messing with it. Of course, I then claimed it as mine and added it to my studio rig. Once I found a PG and C16 cart for a "good" price, I really started to love the synth. It's great for pads and brass (Final Countdown of course). To me, it has a really late 80s sound, (which I love) as opposed to a heavy, bombastic sound like my OB-Xa.

BTW-- there are several tutorials on how to clean the AT bar online. I need to do it myself!
Visit http://www.arttestmusic.com

Voyager, JP-6, Pro-One, 800DV, CZ-101, VL-1, Micron, Solina, OB-Xa, JX-8P, Sid Station, xoxbox

THEODICY

Post by THEODICY » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:12 pm

drawtippy wrote:I bought one for my girlfriend so she could play around with something on her own. Eventually, I couldn't resist and started messing with it. Of course, I then claimed it as mine and added it to my studio rig.
:lol: Been there done that... not with an 8p but pretty much identical situation :lol:

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:48 pm

Wow, cool! I would never turn down *any* free synth but the JX-8P is definitely an underrated gem. Especially for what has already been mentioned, moody pads, brass, etc. I had one for a couple months in early 2008. I got one that needed some TLC off eBay for cheap, fixed and cleaned it up, and then sold it, though I didn't really want to. It grew on me quickly.

A few days after that JX-8P arrived, my sister died unexpectedly, and when I was working on a tribute track in her memory, I found it had the *perfect* moody pad on it. That might be a big reason I had a hard time parting with that synth. Even without a PG-800 it wasn't that hard to program.

Though it's a bit of a PITA, it is possible to repair the aftertouch on it. There's a resistor that can be changed on the bender board to make the AT more responsive too if the cleaning alone isn't enough.
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

Snarecrash

Post by Snarecrash » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:28 am

The JX-8P has emotion :!: ...and it's instant 80's if you want it to.
I agree about the programming thing, it's really not that hard without the PG and there are still some nice freeware soft-emus of the PG800 out there.