Turning your JX-3P into a pseudo-Jupiter

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Scories
Gear: Micromoog, JX-3P, Minikorg 700, Z1

Turning your JX-3P into a pseudo-Jupiter

Post by Scories » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:37 pm

Has anyone seen this?
http://www.kiwitechnics.com/jx3pupgrade.htm
[ edit : new link - now taking orders ]

A replacement chip for the Roland JX-3P. It's about 60% done.

Sounds very cool : 2 adsr's, 2 lfo's with improved rates, portamento, unisson mode, MIDI Sysex, all 64 patches fully editable and many more new features...
Last edited by Scories on Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

101 Force

Re: Turning your JX-3P into a pseudo-Jupiter

Post by 101 Force » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:50 pm

Where did you hear it was about 60% done? The last time I spoke to Murray, which granted was sometime ago, he indicated he was putting most of his efforts in to the Patch Editor.

The JX-3P upgrade looks damn good either way, and I'll definitely be picking one up when they're available. It definitely seems like it would be worth waiting for in my opinion.The addition of portamento and dynamics through MIDI will turn it in to an acid machine, in my opinion, and the additional envelope and ability to detune both oscillators will turn in to a great machine for pads and the like too. It's seriously going to kick a*s...
Gear for sale here (Updated: 06/27/2011).

Scories

Post by Scories » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:40 pm

101 Force wrote:Where did you hear it was about 60% done? The last time I spoke to Murray, which granted was sometime ago, he indicated he was putting most of his efforts in to the Patch Editor.
It's on the web site and it has been updated 4 days ago. Check out the link.

The JX-3P is already a very polyvalent synth with a good tone., so... yes it will be awesome.

adhmzaiusz

Post by adhmzaiusz » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:53 pm

This is very cool! Glad I have 2 jx3ps now, maybe I'll mod them before I sell em... unless, they become ridiculously awesome and I can't get enough of them.
‹‡›

emonbot

Post by emonbot » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:42 am

I bought a used monopoly off the guy who is making this. he fixed it before he sold it.

would recommend his product.

rharris07
Expert Member
Expert Member
Band: Ghost Fires, The Witch Family

Post by rharris07 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:27 pm

Damn - this really makes me want to not sell off my 3P now. That sounds really cool. I already really like the sound of the 3P over the 8P, so strengthening the sound would probably make it a never-sell item for me.

The only possible downfall is how much it'll cost to get it here in the states from Germany...

MEK | SixTrak | DrumTraks | Motif 8 | DW8000 | MicroKorg | EMX1 & ESX1 | Soviet TOM | Arp Quartet | SD-1 32V | Elka 490 | Indigo 2 | E6400 | Morpheus | SQ2 | DotCom Modular

Scories

Post by Scories » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:50 pm

Yeah, don't sell it!

Right now, the estimated price is 95 Euros. And you'll have to get it installed. The PG-200 will loose some of its value though.

wertpog

Post by wertpog » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:21 pm

His Patch editor is pretty fantastic, I was going to sell mine, but then reconsidered. I can see the market for PG's dropping considerably once these things become more widespread.
http://modularsamples.com - (public domain samples of classic synths)

101 Force

Post by 101 Force » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:59 pm

rharris07 wrote:The only possible downfall is how much it'll cost to get it here in the states from Germany...
He's located in New Zealand, and I wouldn't worry about the costs if I were you. I'm located in Canada and bought a Patch Editor from him (#2 actually) and the shipping was pretty reasonable. The JX-3P upgrade is going to be a lot smaller and a lot lighter, although you'll need to find a local tech to fit it. On top of that his customer service is top notch.

rharris07
Expert Member
Expert Member
Band: Ghost Fires, The Witch Family

Post by rharris07 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:06 am

You guys are pretty much having me convinced to just stick it out heh. I really want a maschine, vsynth and nord wave so I'm selling gear off to buy those three...i might have to keep the 3P and sell off something else instead! Thank you for the information...I really appreciate it!

MEK | SixTrak | DrumTraks | Motif 8 | DW8000 | MicroKorg | EMX1 & ESX1 | Soviet TOM | Arp Quartet | SD-1 32V | Elka 490 | Indigo 2 | E6400 | Morpheus | SQ2 | DotCom Modular

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Post by rhino » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:32 am

rharris07 wrote:Damn - this really makes me want to not sell off my 3P now. That sounds really cool. I already really like the sound of the 3P over the 8P, so strengthening the sound would probably make it a never-sell item for me.
I'm in. Thankful for people with the skills to do things like this.
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:14 am

Count me in on this. This would revolutionize the JX3P. I would LOVE a mono mode (I hope that one of the unison modes is single-osc), and portamento. With the features listed in this upgrade, the JX3P would be very valuable.
I would buy this.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

101 Force

Post by 101 Force » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:57 am

@ Automatic Gainsay : If you're looking for a mono mode why don't you e-mail Murray and (politely) ask him if he'll implement it? I've talked a lot with him about the features I'd like to see in the JX-3P upgrade, and I'm happy to see a number of them will be implemented. Provided it isn't overly convoluted or difficult to implement Murray is a pretty reasonable guy in considering the implementation of certain functions. The product isn't finished after all, and if Murray can see how a feature would be useful I'm sure he'll consider adding it.

On that note Murray will not be implementing a means of controlling the amount and depth of the chorus. It would require a separate hack of the chorus chip, rather than an upgrade of the firmware. Murray has indicated to me it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility for him to do so, but as it would require a small board to be fitted within the JX-3P it might be explored as a separate product when the current JX-3P upgrade is completed. It's also worth noting, because of the way the oscillator chips are designed, it's not possible for each oscillator to output all three of its waveforms at a time (or even two out of three of them).

RichShan
Gear: Yamaha SY85, Roland JX3p, Novation Supernova II keys, Roland MKS70, Roland JV1080, Emu ESi-32, G5 & logic

Post by RichShan » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:12 pm

I contacted Murray about this a wee while ago with particular reference to PG200 compatibility.

This is what he had to say:

"Thanks for you interest. I have decided to drop the PG-200 interface for a few reasons. I have come to know the PG-200 well as I have fully reverse engineered it in order to add support for it in my PE project. During this process I found out all it's short comings. 1)The interface is a horrible non standard off speed reversed TTL which is difficult to support. In the PE I had to add special hardware just to handle this. 2)Switches are grouped. This is a pet hate of mine. You change a patch then change a switch and all the switches in that group will jump to whatever is on the 200. 3)If you change two switches at once the result is pretty random. This is really only a problem on the PE as some of my switches change multiple settings on the 3P.

I've grown to really dislike the 200. I will instead be adding full midi editing for every function and support for the 3P kit on the PE. As a bonus PSICraft will be adding it to their supported list as well for full PC control."

So I sold my PG200 for a pretty penny and I'll use a generic controller for Midi CC.

Have to say I'm really looking forward to this. And I love my JX3p enough already.

THEODICY

Post by THEODICY » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:22 pm

I already have mine modded up with the organix kit which is an absolute GREAT kit. It makes the 3p something that it should have been from the factory. But the Kiwi upgrade is next level stuff. I'm going to get another Jx3p right now and have it waiting in the wings for this. It's funny to me that these things have so much aftermarket support, but certainly awesome as they have so much hidden potential.