Turning your JX-3P into a pseudo-Jupiter

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
paugui

Re: Turning your JX-3P into a pseudo-Jupiter

Post by paugui » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:33 pm

Will this be available for a Roland MKS-30 too?

Scories
Gear: Micromoog, JX-3P, Minikorg 700, Z1

Post by Scories » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:37 pm

101 Force wrote:@ Automatic Gainsay : If you're looking for a mono mode why don't you e-mail Murray and (politely) ask him if he'll implement it? I've talked a lot with him about the features I'd like to see in the JX-3P upgrade, and I'm happy to see a number of them will be implemented. Provided it isn't overly convoluted or difficult to implement Murray is a pretty reasonable guy in considering the implementation of certain functions. The product isn't finished after all, and if Murray can see how a feature would be useful I'm sure he'll consider adding it.

On that note Murray will not be implementing a means of controlling the amount and depth of the chorus. It would require a separate hack of the chorus chip, rather than an upgrade of the firmware. Murray has indicated to me it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility for him to do so, but as it would require a small board to be fitted within the JX-3P it might be explored as a separate product when the current JX-3P upgrade is completed. It's also worth noting, because of the way the oscillator chips are designed, it's not possible for each oscillator to output all three of its waveforms at a time (or even two out of three of them).
A monomode would be great indeed, and probably possible.

But turning the chorus section into a Polysix-like ensemble fx would be great.

101 Force

Post by 101 Force » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:45 pm

@ RichShan : I can vouch for PSICraft's support of the Patch Editor, especially as a means of providing a reasonable interface for other hardware that it otherwise wouldn't be an ideal editor for. I sold an MKS-50 to the man behind PSICraft not too long ago, in person, and we discussed among other things his plans with Murray in a fair bit of detail. I don't think Murray plans on relying on PSICraft's support to make the Patch Editor a useful product, just as a means of providing support for a wider variety of products.

@ paugui : No, this won't be available for the MKS-30. The MKS-30 has completely different firmware, and as a result of having different oscillator chips than the JX-3P it's incompatible with any firmware upgrades that may be created for the JX-3P.

@ Scories : I'm overdue to e-mail Murray an update regarding the Patch Editor, and the MKS-70, so I'll mention the interest in a monomode for the JX-3P if he isn't already aware. As for the chorus, it would be awesome to have some parameter controls for it, but it's not possible to be accessed from a firmware upgrade, hence his possible exploration of an add-on board in the future.

I talked to an acquaintance by the name of David B. who knows Murray personally, and he told me he'll be giving Murray's JX-3P upgrade a test-run on the 17th of this month. I'll try to pursuade him to update this thread with the results at that time.
Gear for sale here (Updated: 06/27/2011).

cram1960

Post by cram1960 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:44 am

paugui wrote:Will this be available for a Roland MKS-30 too?

I asked Murray, and he said:

"I will be looking at making a kit for this once the 3P is finished."
Craig
Powerman has spoken!
Amituofo! Image

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:49 am

I'm also looking forward to this being finished (and possibly buying it). I've already fitted the organix mod which I use a BCR2000 with quite happily, but these sound feature upgrades are very interesting.

rschnier
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by rschnier » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:55 am

I acquired a JX-3P just last week specifically because of this upgrade. Very much looking forward to it!
-- R.

101 Force

Post by 101 Force » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:39 am

cram1960 wrote:
paugui wrote:Will this be available for a Roland MKS-30 too?

I asked Murray, and he said:

"I will be looking at making a kit for this once the 3P is finished."
This is definitely good news for MKS-30 owners.

Speaking of other synthesizers, Murray and I have briefly discussed possible modifications for the MKS-80 -- such as allowing each oscillator to out each of its waveforms if so desired. Murray never even said he'd be looking at the MKS-80 as a possible project, but if there was enough interest I'm sure he'd seriously consider it... ;)
Gear for sale here (Updated: 06/27/2011).

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Pro5 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:55 pm

I would love some clever sort to make a similar mod for the AX80. It has a few shortcomings holding it back but has a lot of power inside. The problem is it's hardly as ubiquitous as the junos and JX's so I doubt anyone would want to invest time in modding it properly (to sell the mod) and get.. maybe 10 buyers.

If I had time I'd dig in and see what could be done, the lack of service manual for AX80 doesn't help (and I don't feel like lining the pockets of ebay sellers for a print out/cd rom/email of something they don't even legally own).

tim_m
Gear: Access Virus KB (x2), C
Akai AX-80
Juno-60
Ensoniq SD-1
Electribe ESX
Lots of guitars
Band: Trace-on.

Post by tim_m » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:46 pm

I'd be interested in something like that for the AX-80. I'm also offended by people selling the service manual on ebay. I've got a power supply issue with mine, and while the service manual would help, the 'ebay for a cdr' solution leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:28 am

Scories wrote:The JX-3P is already a very polyvalent synth with a good tone., so... yes it will be awesome.
I'm sorry... what???

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Post by rhino » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:32 am

Pro5 wrote:If I had time I'd dig in and see what could be done, the lack of service manual for AX80 doesn't help (and I don't feel like lining the pockets of ebay sellers for a print out/cd rom/email of something they don't even legally own).
It never bothers me to pay a reasonable fee for a hard-to-find (and readable) schematic or manual. Here are four people (not on ebay) who have super to deal with

Steph Jutras: steph.jutras@gmail.com

Mark Glinsky: http://www.markglinsky.com/ManualManor.html

Michael Dewenter: http://www.transanalog.com/

http://www.route66studios.com/
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:00 am

Yeah, back before the internet, people used to pay money for all kinds of stuff.

+1 for Manual Manor. I got the Owner's and Service manual for my Prophet 600 from them. They're obviously scans of the original manual, but somehow they're searchable PDF's (super handy, that) as well. He must run them through some kind of text-recognition software.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Pro5 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:34 am

pricklyrobot wrote:Yeah, back before the internet, people used to pay money for all kinds of stuff.
Yeah, tangible goods. It's only since the internet that an email with a .pdf file that the seller 'stole' from original, possibly copyrighted material, can cost as much as $50.

If the guy has a physical copy and has to scan it etc, then sure he should be paid for his time (once). To cause a scarcity of information purely for your own financial gain isn't to be applauded imo. That's not a slur about those sellers listed above who possibly do own all the original (costly?) service manuals and are doing us a 'favour', it's those data reproducers who put unreasonably high abitrary prices on scarceness. We don't buy, synths go unfixed/get dumped/parted out. How's that helping the 'vintage synth community'? Information pertaining to goods no longer sold or with any official means of getting that information should be free (or at least only to cover costs; and really a $30 email?).

If someone wants to sell me an original hard copy AX80 service manual I'll gladly pay £25+ for it. Anyone pointing out that I'm 'wrong' for merely lamenting the fact that in this day and age some information is needlessly hard to come by, motivated by financial gain and nothing else obviously has a vested interest in making money from said virtual items.

Dano

Post by Dano » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:43 am

If he's doing those mods for the JX-3P then I would love it if there would also be mods for the Juno-60 that would give portamento, unison detune, and a second envelope. :beg:

...a little OT I know but it does sound pretty cool for the JX3-P which unfortunately I no longer own.

adhmzaiusz

Post by adhmzaiusz » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:31 am

Good to see the upgrade is finally shipping!
‹‡›