Turning your JX-3P into a pseudo-Jupiter

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
User avatar
elmosexwhistle
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Posts: 283
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:27 am
Real name: Alex
Band: Elmo Sexwhistle
Location: Birmingham
Contact:

Re: Turning your JX-3P into a pseudo-Jupiter

Post by elmosexwhistle » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:49 am

so, i was looking into getting a 3p, and if i did pull the trigger on one, i'd probably also buy this upgrade kit to go with it (i like the sound of the LFOs and the mono mode) would i need to also buy his patch editor to take advantage of the new features? or are they available from the front panel? i ask, as the patch editor looks a little prohibitively expensive and i'm actually fine with programming digital synths from a front panel (had a dx7 with no editor for years!) thanks.

User avatar
iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1019
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:28 pm
Real name: Carl
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Contact:

Re: Turning your JX-3P into a pseudo-Jupiter

Post by iProg » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:42 am

Wow, I gotta get a hold on one of those! I thought it would be more expensive!

paugui
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 355
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:47 pm
Location: Marinha Grande, Portugal / Oslo, Norway

Re: Turning your JX-3P into a pseudo-Jupiter

Post by paugui » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:22 pm

101 Force wrote:
cram1960 wrote:
paugui wrote:Will this be available for a Roland MKS-30 too?

I asked Murray, and he said:

"I will be looking at making a kit for this once the 3P is finished."
This is definitely good news for MKS-30 owners.

Speaking of other synthesizers, Murray and I have briefly discussed possible modifications for the MKS-80 -- such as allowing each oscillator to out each of its waveforms if so desired. Murray never even said he'd be looking at the MKS-80 as a possible project, but if there was enough interest I'm sure he'd seriously consider it... ;)

An upgrade for the MKS-80 would definitely be welcomed.

And if an MKS-30 upgrade is made, I think I'd definitely be interested in buying one.


Any news on those?

User avatar
tim_m
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:28 pm
Real name: Tim
Gear: Access Virus KB (x2), C
Akai AX-80
Juno-60
Ensoniq SD-1
Electribe ESX
Lots of guitars
Band: Trace-on.
Location: Alexandria, VA
Contact:

Re: Turning your JX-3P into a pseudo-Jupiter

Post by tim_m » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:42 pm

rhino wrote:
Pro5 wrote:If I had time I'd dig in and see what could be done, the lack of service manual for AX80 doesn't help (and I don't feel like lining the pockets of ebay sellers for a print out/cd rom/email of something they don't even legally own).
It never bothers me to pay a reasonable fee for a hard-to-find (and readable) schematic or manual. Here are four people (not on ebay) who have super to deal with

Steph Jutras: steph.jutras@gmail.com

Mark Glinsky: http://www.markglinsky.com/ManualManor.html

Michael Dewenter: http://www.transanalog.com/

http://www.route66studios.com/
Thanks! If I can't figure out the issue on my own, I will work with one of these guys to get a manual.

User avatar
StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1492
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:16 am
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Turning your JX-3P into a pseudo-Jupiter

Post by StepLogik » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:12 am

Pro5 wrote:I would love some clever sort to make a similar mod for the AX80. It has a few shortcomings holding it back but has a lot of power inside. The problem is it's hardly as ubiquitous as the junos and JX's so I doubt anyone would want to invest time in modding it properly (to sell the mod) and get.. maybe 10 buyers.

If I had time I'd dig in and see what could be done, the lack of service manual for AX80 doesn't help (and I don't feel like lining the pockets of ebay sellers for a print out/cd rom/email of something they don't even legally own).
I think this will be an ongoing trend. As microcontrollers get cheaper and more powerful, and easier to program, you'll see projects where people pull the stock CPU(s) out of old synths and replace them with more powerful ones to give the synth a full suite of modern features - or even basic ones like MIDI.

At the high level, it really isn't that difficult. The routine bits that are common to every synth (panel and key scanning, MIDI I/O, key assignment modes, arpeggiator) are not difficult to code and you can find algorithms for just about everything written in pseudocode (or something else) if you look. Beyond those basics, the software becomes very specific to the hardware the CPU is coupled to.

The real challenge is reverse engineering the existing implementation. The more stuff that is implemented in analogue hardware the easier the job, generally. If your synth has hardware EG's, great - less timing code to write. If all the CPU has to do is control the CV lines then its job is very easy. However, when the CPU is responsible for modulation, DCO's, auto-tune routines, etc. then reverse-engineering becomes a tedious and challenging undertaking. You basically need a Digital Analyzer so you can capture the full processing cycle and all the interrupt modes so you can see exactly how it is controlling the analog guts. Oddities in the software also give a synth its character so if you aren't careful you can fundamentally alter your synth.

User avatar
Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1000
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:30 pm
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer
Location: U.K

Re: Turning your JX-3P into a pseudo-Jupiter

Post by Pro5 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:05 am

elmosexwhistle wrote:so, i was looking into getting a 3p, and if i did pull the trigger on one, i'd probably also buy this upgrade kit to go with it (i like the sound of the LFOs and the mono mode) would i need to also buy his patch editor to take advantage of the new features? or are they available from the front panel? i ask, as the patch editor looks a little prohibitively expensive and i'm actually fine with programming digital synths from a front panel (had a dx7 with no editor for years!) thanks.
No you don't *NEED* that programmer. YOu access the parameters with multi presses of the A/B groups with that mod (It's in the instructions on the site).

Also you should still be able to use any generic CC midi box with it but not the official PG-200 according to the site. I wonder if this mod, if it becomes widespread, will affect the prices of PG-200s when they are rendered 'useless'. :lol:

User avatar
EmptySet
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Posts: 474
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:33 am
Gear: MS20, x0xb0x, JV-1080, JX-3P, JX-8P(PG800), Juno Stage, VFX-SD, VL-1, ARP Omni I, D-50, DW6000
Location: Illinois, USA

Re: Turning your JX-3P into a pseudo-Jupiter

Post by EmptySet » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:27 am

I have the orgnix midi mod and it's excellent. this looks really great too (considering tracking down a second 3P just to try this mod out). But please, for the love of God, will someone figure out how we can replace the crummy pushbutton switches on the 3P!!! Others have discussed this topic before on another VSE Help thread, but I thought I'd throw it out here since everyone's talking 3Ps again. yes, I know, with all these mods, why do I even need buttons? It's like the campsite saying, I like to leave my vintage synths better than when I found them. 8-)

rschnier
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 220
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:52 am
Location: USA

Re: Turning your JX-3P into a pseudo-Jupiter

Post by rschnier » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:26 am

rschnier wrote:I acquired a JX-3P just last week specifically because of this upgrade. Very much looking forward to it!
Just put in my order for the upgrade and chorus mod combo. Woo-hoo!!
-- R.

Scories
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 617
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:57 pm
Gear: Micromoog, JX-3P, Minikorg 700, Z1
Location: Québec - CANADA
Contact:

Re: Turning your JX-3P into a pseudo-Jupiter

Post by Scories » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:03 am

EmptySet wrote:I have the orgnix midi mod and it's excellent. this looks really great too (considering tracking down a second 3P just to try this mod out). But please, for the love of God, will someone figure out how we can replace the crummy pushbutton switches on the 3P!!! Others have discussed this topic before on another VSE Help thread, but I thought I'd throw it out here since everyone's talking 3Ps again. yes, I know, with all these mods, why do I even need buttons? It's like the campsite saying, I like to leave my vintage synths better than when I found them. 8-)

The best thing would be a data slider like the one on the Moog Source. 16 steps is not that precise.

The only thing I will miss from the original jx-3p is the noise-modulated lfo. It might possibly implemented later though.

analogholic
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:53 pm

Re: Turning your JX-3P into a pseudo-Jupiter

Post by analogholic » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:57 pm

101 Force wrote: Speaking of other synthesizers, Murray and I have briefly discussed possible modifications for the MKS-80 -- such as allowing each oscillator to out each of its waveforms if so desired. Murray never even said he'd be looking at the MKS-80 as a possible project, but if there was enough interest I'm sure he'd seriously consider it... ;)
This would be cool !!!
But the s**t would be if he do a multimode mod for the filter, as in the JP-6. (same filter chip)

User avatar
Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1000
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:30 pm
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer
Location: U.K

Re: Turning your JX-3P into a pseudo-Jupiter

Post by Pro5 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:04 pm

Scories wrote:
EmptySet wrote:I have the orgnix midi mod and it's excellent. this looks really great too (considering tracking down a second 3P just to try this mod out). But please, for the love of God, will someone figure out how we can replace the crummy pushbutton switches on the 3P!!! Others have discussed this topic before on another VSE Help thread, but I thought I'd throw it out here since everyone's talking 3Ps again. yes, I know, with all these mods, why do I even need buttons? It's like the campsite saying, I like to leave my vintage synths better than when I found them. 8-)

The best thing would be a data slider like the one on the Moog Source. 16 steps is not that precise.

The only thing I will miss from the original jx-3p is the noise-modulated lfo. It might possibly implemented later though.
On the 3P there are 16 lights on the buttons but there is variance between them (to my ears) maybe another 16 discrete steps with very minor pushing before the light moves to the next button... unless I was hearing things/drunk.

adhmzaiusz
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 270
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:27 am

Re: Turning your JX-3P into a pseudo-Jupiter

Post by adhmzaiusz » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:14 am

Pro5 wrote:
Scories wrote:
EmptySet wrote:I have the orgnix midi mod and it's excellent. this looks really great too (considering tracking down a second 3P just to try this mod out). But please, for the love of God, will someone figure out how we can replace the crummy pushbutton switches on the 3P!!! Others have discussed this topic before on another VSE Help thread, but I thought I'd throw it out here since everyone's talking 3Ps again. yes, I know, with all these mods, why do I even need buttons? It's like the campsite saying, I like to leave my vintage synths better than when I found them. 8-)

The best thing would be a data slider like the one on the Moog Source. 16 steps is not that precise.

The only thing I will miss from the original jx-3p is the noise-modulated lfo. It might possibly implemented later though.
On the 3P there are 16 lights on the buttons but there is variance between them (to my ears) maybe another 16 discrete steps with very minor pushing before the light moves to the next button... unless I was hearing things/drunk.
I can vouch for your ears not playing tricks on you. There is indeed more than 16 steps to the settings on the 3P, you can hear it best when you crank the resonance and move the filter while watching the LEDs.
‹‡›

Scories
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 617
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:57 pm
Gear: Micromoog, JX-3P, Minikorg 700, Z1
Location: Québec - CANADA
Contact:

Re: Turning your JX-3P into a pseudo-Jupiter

Post by Scories » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:58 am

You're not drunk Pro5, there's more than 16 steps, otherwise, I would not whish for a more precise data slider. Just fine tune the lfo of the osc tune and you'll notice differences whithin a step.
Last edited by Scories on Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rschnier
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 220
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:52 am
Location: USA

Re: Turning your JX-3P into a pseudo-Jupiter

Post by rschnier » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:43 pm

Just got a note from Murray requesting payment for my order (upgrade and accompanying chorus modification), which will then ship. Also listed the serial number of my particular kit.
-- R.

Rooftree
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 79
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 4:59 am

Re: Turning your JX-3P into a pseudo-Jupiter

Post by Rooftree » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:37 pm

Dano wrote:If he's doing those mods for the JX-3P then I would love it if there would also be mods for the Juno-60 that would give portamento, unison detune, and a second envelope. :beg:
Another guy is doing an upgrade for the Juno-60. It's called Minerva and will be available in a few weeks. It has MIDI, unison, mono mode, second envelope, an extra LFO, sysex, and a few other things. But no portomento. I just bought a Juno-60 last weekend and was really excited to discover the Minerva upgrade.

It's amazing that these old synths are not only being supported, but actually improved almost 30 years later!
Prophet 08 :: CS-30 :: Odyssey :: Korg 01W :: Juno-60 :: 606 :: Sonar :: soft synths

Post Reply