Elka Synthex: Digital Ring Modulation??

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

Elka Synthex: Digital Ring Modulation??

Post by HideawayStudio » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:39 pm

Can someone who really -knows- this lovely beast explain to me exactly how its digital ring mod works from both technical and UI points of view.

The Elka Synthex is a DCO synth and traditionally frequency modulation via cross modulation is much more tricky to implement - hence my curiosity.

I have the schematics but some real world experience with the instrument would further my understanding.

Naturally, if anyone has a Synthex they'd like to give me to pull apart and study........ :)

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Re: Elka Synthex: Digital Ring Modulation??

Post by cornutt » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:35 pm

Is this one of those deals where they square up the waveforms and then run them through an XOR logic gate? That really isn't ring modulation, but it produces a similar effect. True ring modulation in the digital domain is done by multiplying the sample values of the two signals.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:56 pm

Does the Synthex have a *digital* ring mod? An analog ring mod is certainly doable on a DCO synth, since it occurs beyond the oscillator stage (unlike cross mod or FM).

If it's digital, it's probably the XOR method Cornutt mentioned (like the MG-1 uses). It wouldn't be sample multiplication without an A/D and D/A conversion.
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

rjd2

Post by rjd2 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:05 am

i dont know HOW the circuitry works, cause frankly, i dont really give a s**t, but i CAN tell you that its really fun and using it on both oscillators can turn the synthex into a wierd noise machine approaching the cs40m. with differing octave settings it can do some things that are sort ofhard to describe. its really fun.