sampling-groovebox-sequencer-workstation

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Meso
Gear: Roland MV-8800, DSI MEK, Novation KS-4, Waldorf µwave XT, FutureRetro Revolution

Re: sampling-groovebox-sequencer-workstation

Post by Meso » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:09 pm

Fatbenelton wrote:How about the Roland MV8000 or MV8800?
I really like my MV-8800, they are going relatively cheap got mine new for $925 from Novamusik,
really nice to get away from the computer for my music making.

foodeater

Re: sampling-groovebox-sequencer-workstation

Post by foodeater » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:56 am

I use the Mpc1000(with jjos) because I'm not a huge fan of doing whole songs with xox sequencing. I wouldn't really call it a phrase sampler since the max sample memory is not that high. For doing for example longer ambient pieces I trigger external devices. I really like it though.

I had an sp404, but I sold it, because I didn't feel it did anything special and I wasn't a fan of loading samples on it. It is good for keeping focused.

For me the power of live loopers is that you can quickly and easily build up music with a semblance of structure just by jamming and having fun without too much planning. A possible downside to all the loopers I've used though is that you are pretty much stuck with the recorded result. Overall, I've found this limitation actually helps me be productive.

If you are into using computers another option is to use five12's Numerology paired with a Novation Launchpad. It's really fun. I usually start a song doing some epic jams with numerology and a few loopers and effects boxes and then slice that up and re -sequence with a mpc1000.