1980-2010: 30 years since the golden age of synthesis: LP's.

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Re: 1980-2010: 30 years since the golden age of synthesis: L

Post by shaft9000 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:43 pm

uh guys...the way the thread title is worded the 'Golden Age" ended in 1980, so we should be talking about music from the 70's up just to 1980 cutoff date.

:truce:
Yes I did see that the OP post his preference for the 80's as the beginning of a 'Golden Age' and to that I'd agree - but only if he's referring exclusively to synth-pop, rather than synthesis overall.
Even then, Kraftwerk, Numan, classic Human League, The Normal etc = late 70's. That golden age. The days when towering masterpieces by Synergy, Jarre, Tomita, TD, Schultze, Eno, Kluster were being released left and right. The only record of that era that dent the mainstream being Oxygene. Pop music didn't get it then and still doesn't <thank God>.
Synthpop was as much as top40 could handle, apparently.

So I digress, but whatever. on with another list thread...

My favorite stuff from Golden-Age Synthpop is New Order, Tears for Fears 1st two, any DepecheMode up to Violator, Yazoo UaE, Prince("don't snooze on the funk-Jesus, whiteboy!"), Madonna thru True Blue, early Human League, all the Moroder stuff from Donna Summer to SSSputnik, Visage, Ultravox, and of course the mighty Eurythmics
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

rschnier
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by rschnier » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:45 pm

shaft9000 wrote:uh guys...the way the thread title is worded the 'Golden Age" ended in 1980, so we should be talking about music from the 70's up just to 1980 cutoff date.
;) Popcorn from 1972, anyone? Info on what equipment was used is scarce, but presumably Moog Modular?

The first time I heard Human League's Don't You Want Me? (1979) on the radio...what a massive bassline...that was it, hooked for life.
-- R.

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:47 am

Yes, both Gershon Kingsley's original Popcorn version from 1969 and Hot Butter's (re-recorded) 1972 version used the Moog modular.

Regarding HL's "Don't You Want Me" (it's from '81 btw); I seem to remember that Ian Burden mentioned in an old
keyboard magazine that he played the bass line on the Korg 770. The rhythmic synth sounds on this song and Love action
were done by triggering the pitch-to-voltage converter on the Roland system 700 with a guitar.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

Artmuzz
Gear: Korg M3 Xpanded, Yamaha DX7, Roland D50, Roland JD800, Yamaha TG77, Waldorf Blofeld, Yamaha AN1x

Post by Artmuzz » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:13 am

Here are some of my favourite albums from the golden age in that past 30 years are...

New Musik - Anywhere
Scritti Politti - Cupid and Psyche '85
Level 42 - Level 42
New Musik - From A to B
Howard Jones - Human's Lib
Nik Kershaw - The Riddle
Nik Kershaw - Human Racing
Tangerine Dream - White Eagle
Jean Michel Jarre - Rende Vous

Art
Apple iMac i5, Korg M3 Xpanded, Yamaha DX7, Roland D50, Roland JD800, Roland Juno 106, Waldorf Blofeld, Casio CZ101, Yamaha TG77, Yamaha DX7S, Roland JV90, Yamaha AN1X, Kawai K500R, Kawai K4, Casio VZ1, Akai Miniak, Korg MicroKorg, Korg MicroX, Korg O5R/W

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:09 am

shaft9000 wrote:Even then, Kraftwerk, Numan, classic Human League, The Normal etc = late 70's. That golden age. The days when towering masterpieces by Synergy, Jarre, Tomita, TD, Schultze, Eno, Kluster were being released left and right. The only record of that era that dent the mainstream being Oxygene. Pop music didn't get it then and still doesn't <thank God>.
Let's not forget the origin of popular synthesizer usage: The Moogsploitation Era... 1968-1974.
Wendy Carlos, Mort Garson, Jean Jacques Perrey, Gershon Kingsley, d**k Hyman, Les Baxter, Sid Bass, Hot Butter, Roger Powell, and more.
And, in a time before presets, this was synthesis!
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:18 am

shaft9000 wrote:Synergy, Jarre, Tomita, TD, Schultze, Eno, Kluster
This is half my vinyl collection, right now. :lol:
Automatic Gainsay wrote:Wendy Carlos, Mort Garson, Jean Jacques Perrey, Gershon Kingsley, d**k Hyman, Les Baxter, Sid Bass, Hot Butter, Roger Powell
Also have the first two Switched on Bach, and the d**k Hyman album with the Minotaur on vinyl.(The latter smells of mildew, and plays funky cheese) Highly recommend them in that format. Wish these others weren't so rare and expensive on the same. Anyone want to sell me an old scratchy copy of Lucifer? :beg:
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:42 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
Let's not forget the origin of popular synthesizer usage: The Moogsploitation Era... 1968-1974.
Wendy Carlos, Mort Garson, Jean Jacques Perrey, Gershon Kingsley, d**k Hyman, Les Baxter, Sid Bass, Hot Butter, Roger Powell, and more.
And, in a time before presets, this was synthesis!
I'd like to add Paul Beaver & Bernie Krause to that list. They were the electronic music pioneers on the west coast and the first
to introduce the Moog synthesizer into "popular music" with Mort Garson's "Zodiac: Cosmic Sounds" and the soundtrack
to the psychedelic movie The Trip, recorded in April and May '67 respectively. They have contributed to so many album
recordings and soundtracks that I've lost count.

Here's a list of Beaver & Krause recordings/albums:

Nonesuch Guide to electronic music - 1967-68
Ragnarök - 1968-69
In a Wild Sanctuary - 1969-70
Gandharva - 1971
All Good Men - 1973
Citadels of Mystery - 1975 (Krause)
Revised Nonesuch Guide to Electronic music - 1979 (Krause)

Partial list of artists/bands they've worked with as synthesizer studio musicians
(arrangements, programming, keyboards):

Beach Boys
Elmer Bernstein
Byrds
Jimmy Cliff
The Doors
Mort Garson
Jerry Goldsmith
Dave Grusin
George Harrison
Maurice Jarre
Mick Jagger
George Martin
Monkees
Van Morrison
Jack Nitzsche
Prince
Rolling stones
Leon Russel
Lalo Schifrin
Barbra Streisand
Simon & Garfunkle
Phil Spector
The Tubes (Krause)
Neil Young

FILM CREDITS (incl. scoring, synth performance, and/or sound efx, 135 in all since 1963):

A Man Called Horse
An American Dream
Apocalypse Now (Krause)
Around the World Under the Sea
Atomic Sub
Beneath the Planet of Earth
Breakthrough
Camelot
Candy
Catch 22
California Images
Cool Hand Luke
Cry of the Banshees
Ice Station Zebra
Dark Circle
Downhill Racer
Dr, Doolittle
Drive, He Said
The Dunwhich Horror
Enter Laughing
Finian's Rainbow
The graduate
Grand Prix
The Grasshopper
Harper
The Final Program
They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
Thomas Cron Affair
Rosemary's Baby
That Cold Day In the Park
Hawaii
The h**l with Heroes
Waterhole #3
World of Jacques Costeau
Wild Rose
The Illustrated Man
Love Story
Performance
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Point Blank
Jigsaw
Rain People
In Cold Bloos
How Many Roads?
I Love you Alice B. Toklas
Perfect Storm
Shipping News
Castaway
Duma (in post production)
Last edited by Micke on Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

rschnier
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by rschnier » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:04 pm

Micke wrote:"Don't You Want Me" (it's from '81 btw);
Sigh...you're right of course; could have sworn I'd heard it when I was a senior in high school. Guess that's what happens when the synthesist also becomes vintage. :oops: I'll take that as an incentive to use Google more and my memory less.
-- R.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:11 pm

Micke wrote:I'd like to add Paul Beaver & Bernie Krause to that list. They were the electronic music pioneers on the west coast and the first
to introduce the Moog synthesizer into "popular music" with Mort Garson's "Zodiac: Cosmic Sounds" and the soundtrack
to the psychedelic movie The Trip, recorded in April and May '67 respectively. They have contributed to so many album
recordings and soundtracks that I've lost count.
Yes yes yes! Thanks, Micke!
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage

japan

Post by japan » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:12 pm

Well, I've been misunderstood. The subject must have been "30 years since the beginning of the golden age of synthesis". Even although the previous period of the 80's was amazing (I'm a big fan of several artists from this era, it's enough to say that I'm a krautrock-maniac), when I call the 80's "the golden age" I'm trying to say a few important things:

1) In the 80's, synthesizers became more popular, when prices dropped, relatively. You or your neighbour could make music as a pro, thanks to Korgs and Rolands...sometimes, even the entry level products were really impressive.

2) For this reason, not only rich musicians could make music, and many musicians amateurs could afford a synth, adding a popular component to the music industry. I don't believe that the general public bought LP's from Tangerine Dream or Klaus Schulze, being these musicians really amazing, by the way.

3)The synthesizer was to the 80's, like the electric guitar for the 50's, a revolution that reached millions of people in a pop formula that made them happy.

And it still make us happy...

Regards.
Last edited by japan on Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"the simple life is no longer there..."

I12

Post by I12 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:03 am

synthesizers became popular, when prices dropped.
yes, pro5 $4995 polysix $1695
Dont bother its not worth it!

japan

Post by japan » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:13 am

I give up.......

japan

Post by japan » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:44 pm

Chimera by Bill Nelson.

Amazing.

Oh, and 70's were the "diamond years of synthesis"... :lol:

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:42 pm

I know I'm going to get slapped for my pedantry, but I think the eighties, while definitely the decade of the synthesizer, were not particularly the decade of synthesis. With the advent of presets and complex programming being in that decade, there was comparatively (to the 70s) little synthesis occurring. The eighties were the decade where the synthesizer went from being a tool to create new sounds to a keyboard which played cool sounds.

rschnier
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by rschnier » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:08 pm

AG, you have a good point. The people who had time and inclination, generally professional or studio musicians, arguably continued to create new sounds, really digging into the technological capabilities that came along in the '80s. But due to the mass expansion of the market, which allowed many more musicians to acquire synthesizers than before (it could be argued that the DX-7 really kicked this off), a large number of "casual" synthesists were born.

I remember back in 1984-85 (this time, I know I have the year right :lol: ), several of my colleagues at work, whom were definitely not synthesizer aficionados, bought DX-7's because they thought it would be a cool, technological toy to play with. Not one of them ever did more than play the presets, and a few years later the units were either sitting in closets or sold.
-- R.