StudioBLADE and iKeyDOCK

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

StudioBLADE and iKeyDOCK

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:54 pm

A company called Music Computing has come out with a product called StudioBLADE. Like the Open Labs workstations, it is a Windows based computer built into a keyboard controller. Good news: it's a lot cheaper, a list of $2599 prices it close to current Big 3 workstation offerings. 10" touchscreen display, grid interface for use with Live and other pad-based software.

They also make the iKeyDOCK which lets you park your laptop right in the controller. $1499.

Based in Austin, TX!!! Is this just the revival of Open Labs under a new name????

Company website
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, Juno-60, Polysix, Emulator II, DX7, QX1, Arp Odyssey MKII, ESQ-1, Miami, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Re: StudioBLADE and iKeyDOCK

Post by Alex E » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:24 pm

oh man! I want the second one!!
soundcloud.com/vectron

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:17 am

The second one actually makes quite a bit of sense. But i get the feeling the dock was designed for a particular brand of laptop and wouldn't fit the 18.6 inch beauty i'm after.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:21 am

Nice, but won't fit the 17.3" Samsung laptop i just got...

loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Post by loungedumore » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:28 am

" Tailored for Macs® but great with PC’s too: iKeyDOCKs are tailored for Apple® MacBook® Pros and will accommodate 13” models up to 17” models. Built with high-quality anodized aluminum, the finish matches nicely with the Apple MacBook, iPad® as well as the iPhone® 4. However, iKeyDOCKs are equally striking with virtually any other brand of laptop computer, no matter what the color and finish may be. "
About the docking controller - from the page . Little pricy for me though :oops:
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

Zarith
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Brek Zarith

Post by Zarith » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:58 pm

I don't see the advantage of these integrated solutions. This "StudioBlade" Music computer is for me as bad as the OpenLabs workstations.

A modular system is:

-more practical and flexible (I can re-organize my system constantly, integrate it to other set-ups,...)
-easier to replace and update (I can update my computer only or just the keyboard)
-cheaper (a laptop + a nice USB keyboard with controllers cost less than this $2600 "StudioBlade")
-lighter (a USB keyboard weight nothing).

... and finally: how can anyone work with a 10" display?!My laptop has a 16" display and it already feels small.

The "iKeyDOCKS" seems more interesting. But if you work with a laptop it means you either 1. like to move around, or 2. don't have much space, or both. Either ways, a massive dock doesn't fit at all in this scenario. It's way too large and heavy to carry it anywhere or to use it a mini home studio. And again, the $1500 price is not competitive enough. An Akai MPK 61, a Novation Remote SL or an M-Audio Axiom Pro 61 offers the same functionality for half the price...

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:32 pm

Nice! That iKeyDOCK looks like something BT would use, they look like they'd be great for live work :)

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)

Post by tekkentool » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:50 pm

Zarith wrote:
The "iKeyDOCKS" seems more interesting. But if you work with a laptop it means you either 1. like to move around, or 2. don't have much space, or both. Either ways, a massive dock doesn't fit at all in this scenario. It's way too large and heavy to carry it anywhere or to use it a mini home studio. And again, the $1500 price is not competitive enough. An Akai MPK 61, a Novation Remote SL or an M-Audio Axiom Pro 61 offers the same functionality for half the price...
The same functionality? really?

This one has maybe twice the physical controls. It has an 8x8 block controller (that'd be a 500 USD monome) dedicated solo/mute for each slider. about 30 more encoders. On what planet are they functionally the same?

Also i get the feeling these are tailored to live use, compare the 10 inch screen to the one on the yamaha MOTIF and we start seeing why these make sense.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by tekkentool » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:01 pm

Found something interesting on the synthtopia post about this from vic about what went down with Open labs.
Victor Wong wrote:Everyone,

Let me dispel some things that have been floating around the net that is simply not true. To do so, I quote from my past posting:

I gave up the CEO title 5 years ago to concentrate on building the brand and the community around Open Labs. I was in charge of Artist Relations and Marketing. As you can see, Open Labs had a great brand and marketing brought in record number of potential customers.
Once I gave up the CEO title, I had no check writing privileges and did not have any final say in who to pay, who to hire, what projects to green light and how the business operated. Though I was still chairman of the board, and was the “face” of the company, I was told in the last 2 years to “sit in my office and let the new management work”.

The new management consisted of executives from DELL circa 1991 – 2001 and the CEO that replaced me. They were brought in by the investors who eventually foreclosed on the assets of the company after the money was all spent and the executives leaving, which means I did not drive Open Labs into bankruptcy.

I fact, I took pay cut after pay cut to help keep the company alive. In the end Open Labs owed me so much money that they were willing to sign a general release, which then allowed me to form the new company. Therefore, I did not “sell out the company and took the money and ran”.
Here is what really happened:

We had a board meeting on May 26 to determine the future of Open Labs. Three plans were presented and I, as Chairman, along with the board, voted to keep the company operational so that it can be put up for sale, seek additional investments, or wind it’s business down in a proper manner. To accomplish this, we had to cut our budget down to almost nothing. I, along with the bulk of the employees had to be laid off. Hank and several people were kept on to keep the business going. We made the official announcement at a company-wide meeting on Friday, May 28.

However, the debt structure that the company has now created was very large and accruing multiple five figure interest payments each month, which made it an extremely unattractive investment. This was a recent occurrence and started with the investment and the new management that installed into Open Labs by the investors.

The foreclosure was not discussed in the board meeting. It was initiated by one of our investor groups/creditor unilaterally after I was laid off and after my resignation as Chairman. I only heard about it second hand. There was nothing I, nor anyone else, could have done about this, once that investment group decided to go down that road. This is now the same group that has proclaimed themselves “the new owners”.

To be honest, I have kept quiet about this because words are cheap. I would rather let my actions speak and to create a company from scratch and produce the products we have in less than 6 months says a lot.

They are not expensive. The 61-key is priced about the same as any 61 key workstation from the “Big Three”. The 88 key is $300 to $500 less, but offer way more in performance and features.

They are also smaller than most of them. The 61 key is only 36” wide, which is 12” shorter than a normal 61 key workstation and is only 4” thick instead of 7”.

They also only weigh about 28lbs, which is 20lbs lighter than other production stations.
A lot of people wanted to see these products happen, and some that didn’t. You can usually tell who they are by their posts. Nevertheless they are here and I think they speak for themselves.

So, here are the facts, I have documents to back them up, and I am glad that I am finally at a place where I can set the record straight.