Woo! Picked Up A TX7! Great Little Synth...

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
MIDI_Thru_Kid
Gear: KORG Radias
Roland JX-3P
Roland TR-505
Roland TR-626
Yamaha RX5
Yamaha TX7
hobnox.com
Drum Samples (All of them)
Yamaha Trombone
Band: MIDI Thru

Woo! Picked Up A TX7! Great Little Synth...

Post by MIDI_Thru_Kid » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:40 am

I got it at my local Sam Ash for 50 bones, plus manual and TRS cable (HOSA, brand new, 7 feet). I think I scored! It came with an impressive set of custom patches loaded in, they DEFINATELY aren't presets... :D

This thing is huge. Big bass. Lot's of sound.

There's like a chunk of plastic missing from the side, but nothing big, thus far everything seems to check out.

Interesting observation, it seems that the plastic is actually mixed with strands of copper wire?? For extra durability/ground?

Anyway, great sound. I'll post up pics of that chunk, and of my particular unit.

There are the preset banks available online, right? Yup just checked. Not many of them are free, though... :?
-Alex

"What I've noticed about this hobby/career is... You Just Can't Stop."

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Re: Woo! Picked Up A TX7! Great Little Synth...

Post by th0mas » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:39 am

It has same patch format as dx7, there's thousands available online

springrhubarb

Post by springrhubarb » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:04 pm

Congratulations on the great synth. The DX/TX instruments pack a lot of synthesis power for the little money they cost.
Last edited by springrhubarb on Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:53 pm

MIDI_Thru_Kid wrote:Not many of them are free, though... :?
:shock:

There are *millions* of DX7/TX7 patches online, and almost all of them are free..

Anyway, here is a nice bank that Yoozer (who is also on here) posted at the Harmony Central forums. It's the Hypra Rom DX7 banks, you should find some nice sounds in there:
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/att ... 1235938528

The unofficial Yamaha DX7 resource centre:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/steve.sims/index.html

The patches section of Dave Benson's DX7 site:
http://www.maths.abdn.ac.uk/~bensondj/h ... ml#patches

Tim Conrardy's DX7 excellent resources:
http://tamw.atari-users.net/dx7.htm

This is a zip with two banks of my favourite DX7 patches:
Best of DX7.zip

Here is a good little (windows) librarian for the DX7/TX7:
MIDI-Lib.zip

By the way, congratulations!

As for "discovering" and making your own sounds on the TX7, that is not exactly simple as the TX is more of a playback module. You can't program directly on it. And even with a PC editor, it is tedious and time-consuming. I believe most of the sounds that CAN be made with the DX7 has already been made...

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:54 pm

I'm currently reading Howard Massey's book and it's very clear and steadily delivered. There's another DX-7 book by Yasuhiko Fukuda but it's not as good. You do get a complete transcription of the presets on paper though.

rschnier
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by rschnier » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:11 pm

MIDI_Thru_Kid wrote:Interesting observation, it seems that the plastic is actually mixed with strands of copper wire?? For extra durability/ground?
That was likely an attempt at electromagnetic shielding, similar to what they'd get if they had used a (more expensive) metal casing. Foil lining was another technique.
-- R.

MIDI_Thru_Kid
Roland JX-3P
Roland TR-505
Roland TR-626
Yamaha RX5
Yamaha TX7
hobnox.com
Yamaha Trombone

Post by MIDI_Thru_Kid » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:42 pm

Thanks everyone! This thing is huge!!

And hey thanks for those links, D. I knew they were out there, I just wasn't looking hard enough. I'll swipe up some of those here shortly. And the thought of having some more classic DX7 sounds intrigues me bunches.

I keep forgetting to post pics. I'll prolly post in the "Pics of Your Setup" forum, as I have re-organized a bunch of s**t lately...

Thanks again for those links!
-Alex

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:18 pm

You're welcome! We gotta help each other out, that's what the forum is for (:

colorbars
Gear: Juno-60, ESQ-1, Mopho, Micron, Poly 61, MS2000R, DX-7, DX-21, M-VS1, ES-1 mkII, Monotron, ESI32, TR-505, EA-1

Post by colorbars » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:10 pm

I'm glad to hear some positive things about the TX7 i've been seriously considering getting one or a TX802, as i've already got a DX-21 and really don't have room more boards but i love those DX7 sounds!

wildpaws
Gear: DX7IIFD, SY77, SY99, Hammond C3, Steinway L, CP300, etc.

Post by wildpaws » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:19 am

colorbars wrote:I'm glad to hear some positive things about the TX7 i've been seriously considering getting one or a TX802, as i've already got a DX-21 and really don't have room more boards but i love those DX7 sounds!
Go for the TX802 which is the rack version of the DX7II series. I had one years ago, a very nice rack unit with great sounds available, though not as good as the TG77 which was the rack version of the SY77.
Clyde
DX7IIFD, SY77, SY99, Hammond C3, Steinway L, CP300, AW1600, etc.

Artmuzz
Gear: Korg M3 Xpanded, Yamaha DX7, Roland D50, Roland JD800, Yamaha TG77, Waldorf Blofeld, Yamaha AN1x

Post by Artmuzz » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:39 am

Yeah the whole Yamaha DX and TX line of synths are fantastic instruments. I am a proud owner of the DX7, DX7S and DX100. I really do enjoy programming my own sounds on those synths as the results can be unexpectedly surprising and rewarding. I also love my TG77 to bits.

If you like your TX7 then try Casio's VZ line of synths as they are sort of 8 operator compared to the DX7's 6 operator.

Art
Apple iMac i5, Korg M3 Xpanded, Yamaha DX7, Roland D50, Roland JD800, Roland Juno 106, Waldorf Blofeld, Casio CZ101, Yamaha TG77, Yamaha DX7S, Roland JV90, Yamaha AN1X, Kawai K500R, Kawai K4, Casio VZ1, Akai Miniak, Korg MicroKorg, Korg MicroX, Korg O5R/W

MIDI_Thru_Kid
Roland JX-3P
Roland TR-505
Roland TR-626
Yamaha RX5
Yamaha TX7
hobnox.com
Yamaha Trombone

Post by MIDI_Thru_Kid » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:10 am

Artmuzz wrote: ... If you like your TX7 then try Casio's VZ line of synths as they are sort of 8 operator compared to the DX7's 6 operator. --Art
Yeah, those Casio's are also REALLY nice! And realitively cheap, too if I'm not mistaken.

The DX/TX stuff is quite nice, but if Sam Ash had a TX7 and a TX802, and I had to choose between the TX7 and a TX802, I would have to get the TX802, merely because it's MULTIPLE DX7's combined, and INDIVIDUAL OUTPUTS as well. Plus better MIDI, and it's MULTI-TIMBRAL :shock:

Save up your pennies and get a TX802, especially if you have a comfy MIDI controller. Later, you can add on modules if you need more sound, starting with say a TX81Z, and if you are REALLY tight on a budget (me) you can't beat $60 for say an FB-01. Don't underestimate it because it looks like an alarm clock: it's an 8-part multi-timbral, 4 operator FM synth. If you want the big boys, get a TX816. 8 DX7's! :shock:

Anyway, I just had to snatch this up because it was a steal. I generally HATE the people at my particular Sam Ash, because they're assholes along the lines of "You touch that knob on that Synth/Amp and I'll kick you outta the store, faggot." Ugh. But this dude hooked me up! One year warranty (eh, maybe if something CATACLYSMIC happens, lol), manaul, and 10 feet of quality HOSA cabel, TRS, even!

Anyway, thanks all for the congrats! I just gotta get into this thing. I'm making a song entirely out of it's own sounds as we speak. Sorta like one of those corny synth demos on a Casio or something... ;)

Yay! :mrgreen:
-Alex

Virgule

Post by Virgule » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:11 am

I had alot of fun with mine as it was my first FM machine. I ultimately wanted more of the same but multitimbral so I sold it to another musician who got tired of lugging his DX7 for only a few presets.

Also, there was an exact replica of Solid Bass stored inside when I got it.

projectwoofer
Band: Woofer

Post by projectwoofer » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:18 pm

TX7 is a very nice synth with warmth and grit that the TX802 hasn't! It sounds so "vintage digital" to me! :D

TX802 is multitimbral but is ultra-clean and the sound is a bit different. Both are nice but I prefer the TX7.

Casio VZ-1/10m kick Yamaha's a*s actually! :lol:
http://www.myspace.com/woofergr
http://www.jumpingfish.gr/Woofer

Casio VZ-10M, Commodore 64 & MSSIAH, Dave Smith Tetra, Kawai K5000R, Korg X5, Roland D-550, Roland JD-990 (w/Vintage Synth card), Waldorf Miniworks 4pole, Yamaha TX7

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:30 am

Was in my local Guitar Center the other day and they actually had a used DX7...