Woo! Picked Up A TX7! Great Little Synth...

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
mharris80
Gear: Korg M1
MicroKorg
Ensoniq ASR 88
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Roland JX-8P
Roland MKS-50
Yamaha RX7
M Audio Oxygen 49
AV Linux

Re: Woo! Picked Up A TX7! Great Little Synth...

Post by mharris80 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:26 pm

Ashe37 wrote:Was in my local Guitar Center the other day and they actually had a used DX7...
Man, my GC sucks for used synths. Last time I was in there, the only thing used they had in the whole keyboard section was an 88 key M-Audio controller with a busted key. Course, they suck for new synths, too, but that's typically GC in general....

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Post by gcoudert » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:50 pm

Glad you like it. So many musicians hate it, it's unbelievable. I use both a DX7 and TX7 and I love them.
GC

MIDI_Thru_Kid
Gear: KORG Radias
Roland JX-3P
Roland TR-505
Roland TR-626
Yamaha RX5
Yamaha TX7
hobnox.com
Drum Samples (All of them)
Yamaha Trombone
Band: MIDI Thru

Post by MIDI_Thru_Kid » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:38 pm

Yeah dude, it's great! Bored of the sounds? Internet search, and ten minutes later all new sounds. Wanna modify them? Deep computer-based editing makes it easier if you're in a pinch.

My Guitar Center has been getting REALLY cool vintage synths lately.

Ensoniq SQ-80 (something wrong with pitch bender, oscillator tuning was weird) - $300
Ensoniq SQ1 (some faded lettering) - $250
Roland JX-3P - $300 - I snatched that right up! Traded my used Yamaha MM6 for it. BEST TRADE OF MY LIFE!! :D
And this HUMONGOUS Computer-Based Synth-Arranger-Sequencer from the late 80's. Had a built-in qwerty keyboard, and looked NUTS!! $3,000. I forgot who made it, though.........

And now Sam Ash had a TX7 for $50. I was like, sure, why not, it's a snyth module for $50. Two of the patches are REALLY quite, I'm assuming they are just corrupt over the years? Came with a manual print out, 15 feet of HOSA TRS cable, and some custom patches. LOVE IT! Then, I went home and discovered that these regularly go on eBay for like $250!! Great buy, mang!! :D
-Alex

"What I've noticed about this hobby/career is... You Just Can't Stop."

Virgule

Post by Virgule » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:26 am

They shouldn't go more than 50-60$ (mine was 60) but it's still pretty cheap for authentic DX7 sounds. I also loved those indestructible wedge shapes, just like the QX21 seq that I once had.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:07 am

MIDI_Thru_Kid wrote: And this HUMONGOUS Computer-Based Synth-Arranger-Sequencer from the late 80's. Had a built-in qwerty keyboard, and looked NUTS!! $3,000. I forgot who made it, though.........
Hmm, I'm curious as to what that could be...

MIDI_Thru_Kid
Gear: KORG Radias
Roland JX-3P
Roland TR-505
Roland TR-626
Yamaha RX5
Yamaha TX7
hobnox.com
Drum Samples (All of them)
Yamaha Trombone
Band: MIDI Thru

Post by MIDI_Thru_Kid » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:22 pm

StepLogik wrote:
MIDI_Thru_Kid wrote: And this HUMONGOUS Computer-Based Synth-Arranger-Sequencer from the late 80's. Had a built-in qwerty keyboard, and looked NUTS!! $3,000. I forgot who made it, though.........
Hmm, I'm curious as to what that could be...
Me too... it had two words to the name, it was wasn't a very common maker............

The thing had a computer monitor build in, and like an IBM-style qwerty laptop keyboard.... it appeared to be a 49-key synth...... i dunno if any of that helps? i really want to know what it was. I think it sold. :(

hmmmmm
-Alex

"What I've noticed about this hobby/career is... You Just Can't Stop."

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, Juno-60, Polysix, Emulator II, DX7, QX1, Arp Odyssey MKII, ESQ-1, Miami, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:27 pm

Ashe37 wrote:Was in my local Guitar Center the other day and they actually had a used DX7...
Were you in the Pasadena GC by chance? I might want to stop by sometime and fiddle with it for some nostalgic membrane button mashing.
soundcloud.com/vectron

Denms20
Gear: Korg MS-20, CX-3, SP 100, Roland JX8P, Sound Canvas, Hammond CV, M3, S-6,L-100 Rhodes , Wurly, D-6 clav, Yamaha TX-7, Crumar T-1, Casio CZ-101

Post by Denms20 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:33 am

I think the coolest use for the TX7 is midi'ing it to an analog polysynth, using the TX for percussive sounds over the analog on a more pad or organ sound, really a nice combo.
Hammond CV, M3, s6, Korg MS-20, SP-100, CX-3, Hohner D-6, Roland JX8P, Sound Canvas, Yamaha Tx7, Casio CZ101, Rhodes, Crumar T1
http://www.organdenstudio.com

upfineclouds

Post by upfineclouds » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:59 pm

That's one cool combo. Another one is to make a really juicy analogue bass patch followed by a spectacular wash of digital haze :-)

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Post by gcoudert » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:45 pm

Denms20 wrote:I think the coolest use for the TX7 is midi'ing it to an analog polysynth, using the TX for percussive sounds over the analog on a more pad or organ sound, really a nice combo.
Yes, I agree. Didn't Tears For Fears have one hooked up to a Prophet T8 on "Songs From the Big Chair"?

Or connect two TX7s with two different patches or even better, the same patch with one module slightly detuned and both modules panned hard left and hard right.
GC

projectwoofer
Band: Woofer

Post by projectwoofer » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:17 pm

gcoudert wrote:Or connect two TX7s with two different patches or even better, the same patch with one module slightly detuned and both modules panned hard left and hard right.
That's cool but you can achieve the same thing with a nice chorus...
http://www.myspace.com/woofergr
http://www.jumpingfish.gr/Woofer

Casio VZ-10M, Commodore 64 & MSSIAH, Dave Smith Tetra, Kawai K5000R, Korg X5, Roland D-550, Roland JD-990 (w/Vintage Synth card), Waldorf Miniworks 4pole, Yamaha TX7

grabme

Post by grabme » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:35 pm

I got a TX802 for the same price as a TX7. Was shocked at how close FM7/8 is to the sound. I tried a patch called Superbass which I believe is quite famous, the 802 sounded slightly punchier but more tone in the midrange and metallics at the upper end although you seriously have to put them side by side to notice the difference. FM7 is quieter by default.
Its nice having the hardware but I wonder whether I will actually use it that much when the software is so convenient. Great price though.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:01 pm

Alex E wrote:
Were you in the Pasadena GC by chance? I might want to stop by sometime and fiddle with it for some nostalgic membrane button mashing.

yes, that was pasadena :)

projectwoofer
Band: Woofer

Post by projectwoofer » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:03 pm

grabme wrote:I got a TX802 for the same price as a TX7. Was shocked at how close FM7/8 is to the sound. I tried a patch called Superbass which I believe is quite famous, the 802 sounded slightly punchier but more tone in the midrange and metallics at the upper end although you seriously have to put them side by side to notice the difference. FM7 is quieter by default.
Its nice having the hardware but I wonder whether I will actually use it that much when the software is so convenient. Great price though.

I'm really surpised actually, because when I did my own A/B tests with FM8, the exact same presets sounded very different on the software (and far worse from the real thing)...
http://www.myspace.com/woofergr
http://www.jumpingfish.gr/Woofer

Casio VZ-10M, Commodore 64 & MSSIAH, Dave Smith Tetra, Kawai K5000R, Korg X5, Roland D-550, Roland JD-990 (w/Vintage Synth card), Waldorf Miniworks 4pole, Yamaha TX7

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:07 pm

FM7 effectively replaced the TX7 for me. Nothing wrong with the sound of FM7. It sounds like the DX7/TX7, but less noisy. Easier to program and you can load up as many instances of it as your CPU allows, beats having a load of TX modules with all the audio, midi and power cables needed. The DX/TX synths are all digital number crushers anyway..