Organizing your synths

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
I12

Re: Organizing your synths

Post by I12 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:02 pm

I was making stands so you can have everything at one height and one angle
plays brilliantly
Dont bother its not worth it!

daguru

Post by daguru » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:59 pm

I eventually was able to find some of those REDD ikea shoestands to go with my Broder shelf setup. I also jerry-rigged a wall-control stainless steel pegboard for all of my cords to hang from.

Pics soon to follow. (this is still a work-in-progress for me)
Wishlist: Andromeda, Jup-6, JD-800, Diabolical Devices TR-707

megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Post by megamanx » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:08 pm

I've read this thread and found some cool ideas. I am in the process of re-organizing my "studio" since I sold a bunch of stuff and bought new things. I was looking at prices for racks, stands, shelves, cases, drawers, etc...and I would need to spend an additional 500 to 600 dollars...I will buy this in episodes, it is just too much...

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, Juno-60, Polysix, Emulator II, DX7, QX1, Arp Odyssey MKII, ESQ-1, Miami, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:39 pm

Organization is pretty cash when you've sold most of your studio. :D
soundcloud.com/vectron

RetroSynthAds

Post by RetroSynthAds » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:28 am

griffin avid wrote:Ha. I was going to quote that same bit of advice. Yeah, at some point I realized I wasn't building a studio; I was collecting synthesizers. It was getting to the point of being uncomfortable to work and difficult to connect everything at once or remember HOW everything was hooked up- even with my printed MIDI layout chart.
If you walked into my studio, you would instantly think I was 'a collector', not a music maker (the term musician may be pushing it in my case).

But I came to a point where I realized I wasn't into building a studio, but an experimental sound lab of sorts. And with that, I realized I didn't need all my sound sources hooked up or even within reach. Kinda like a scientist that doesn't need to keep all of his different beakers and testing gear within reach at all times. :geek:

So, I slatwalled three out of my four walls waist-height and higher. Its sturdy and the arms used to hold gear are music-store-heavy-duty. The forth wall is my computer desk/keyboard stand/monitors. And in a corner and under the mixer are two racks of gear (stuff like a Wavestation A/D, Microwave, Emu rompler racks, etc...). Out of all of my stuff, maybe a third is plugged in and ready for actual work.

This way, I can work at my computer with my keyboard controller if I want to do actual recording/mixing with the 33 per cent of stuff that is plugged in. Or, as I do most of the time, I can turn around and sit at the workbench where I can pull stuff off the slatwall-shelves to tinker with. That workbench rarely has the same gear on it for more than two weeks at a time.

And... more importantly, it also allowed me to justify the small bit of 'collector' in me, without feeling guilty that each piece of gear I own is not always getting used. :lol:

I seriously just love creating new sounds. So, even if I only use that one piece of gear once a year, when I do pull it off the shelf and put it on that work bench, I will get lost in it for four to six hours at a time.
d**k Martini
If you are bored... check out my blog: http://retrosynthads.blogspot.com

sqweebking
Gear: Roland, Moog, Yamaha, Korg, Novation, etc.
Band: sqweebking

Post by sqweebking » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:57 am

Im currently in the process of buying my first house and cant wait to finally get my studio back together. Ive got a whole basement to work with and im thinking about just doing the music store style walls so I can rearrange as often as I want. My biggest concern is keeping as much as possible off the floor. Having a basement studio could turn into a disaster in the event that god forbid the b***h fills up with water. Other than that I cant f**k wait, by the time I get done with settlement it will have been almost 6 months of my studio being packed away in a storage unit. :(

daguru

Post by daguru » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:45 pm

RetroSynthAds wrote: So, I slatwalled three out of my four walls waist-height and higher. Its sturdy and the arms used to hold gear are music-store-heavy-duty. The forth wall is my computer desk/keyboard stand/monitors. And in a corner and under the mixer are two racks of gear (stuff like a Wavestation A/D, Microwave, Emu rompler racks, etc...). Out of all of my stuff, maybe a third is plugged in and ready for actual work.
Dude... pictures...

I have yet to see any slatwall-ed synth action that's NOT in guitar center.
Wishlist: Andromeda, Jup-6, JD-800, Diabolical Devices TR-707

RetroSynthAds

Post by RetroSynthAds » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:40 am

daguru wrote:
Dude... pictures...

I have yet to see any slatwall-ed synth action that's NOT in guitar center.
Actually, that's a great idea for a blog post... give me a week to take a few good photos.
d**k Martini

RetroSynthAds

Post by RetroSynthAds » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:22 am

Sorry for the delay - I've put up a few photos of some of my slatwall installation in a new blog post. It didn't really fit my Retro Synth Ads blog, so I started a new blog - Retro Synth Labs. (See what I did there :lol: )

While writing the post, I came across the realization that I should have done more research before actually installing my slatwall. Definitely more screws. And maybe even a sturdier slatwall product. Apparently there is some good heavy duty metal slatwall.

http://retrosynthlabs.blogspot.com/
d**k Martini

BlackGnosis
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: See signature image.
Band: Eridani V

Post by BlackGnosis » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:06 am

I use a 3 tier stand off and on, however I cant granted my living circumstances, hoever I am intending to rack up everything, putting it into a consol from gator to hold all my main hardware plus computer, and carry a nice controller on the side... my idea was to make it super portable so I can work on music at work...
Ashe37 wrote:I find it funny that you're a guitar pedal snob and yet don't own a single analog synth.

Sir Nose
Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

Post by Sir Nose » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:04 pm

I got an A-Frame rack a couple of weeks ago and built chassis holders for my drum machines (stock brackets for the boards). It took a week or two moving, rearranging, and adjusting, but I now have a much better setup. The playablity is grossly better.
IMAG0008

When I have spent the time and reorganized it has payed off in improved performace. The times without a full setup when inspiration hits is so frustrating though.
Funkadelic wrote: nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty

devetron

Post by devetron » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:24 pm

here's my slatwall system as it was in April 2009. I'll post some pics of its current state.
The Yamaha Organ and Korg DSS-1 are on a two-tier stand.

It's a great way to go.
synths