Most compact and versatile live-setup?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
aredj
Gear: A little bit of E-muAccessJomoxKorgRolandRadikalTechnologiesMOOG

Re: Most compact and versatile live-setup?

Post by aredj » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:51 am

My present live rig

Mpc500 sequencing VirusTI/D evolver
ESX. Axiom25. 1202.

I could still get lots done w/out the evolver, but me needs synthi w/ a different character from the virus time to time... well, all the time really.... I'd like to try a blofeld instead sometime just to shrink s**t down more...

If a manage my resources well... sometimes I run my esx beats right into the virus for - whatever really... what a great effects unit! My god. Even just a little virus reverb on the evolver....
I could write music w/ this setup forever I think...

Dubersive

Post by Dubersive » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:41 am

I don't understand the fear of laptops crashing either. If your computer is good enough, and you don't load it with dumb s**t like a 70 year old grandma, keep it up to date and well maintained, your chances of running into problems while on stage are slim to none.

So yeah. A laptop and a few other small things by Elektron, DSI, Waldorf, etc would probably be the ultimate portable set-up.
[ Cwejman S1 MK2 / Korg MS-20 / SQ-10 | TR-606 | Eurorack stuff ]

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:11 pm

I'm with Stab. I've had samplers fail, guitars fail, drum sticks/heads fail, mics fail, outboard fail, band members fail, and all sorts of other bullshit happen live. While I've only used a laptop once, I can't see a very rare computer crash being any more detrimental to the show than the drummer disappearing into the bathroom with a coked up moron for an hour.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:13 pm

that usually happens before or after the set & not right in the middle of it though, doesn't it?

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:23 pm

The reason I avoid laptop for live performance is the design of them hides what you're doing from the audience (screen blocks line of sight). Also because there is too much visual information on the screen for my liking, leading me to stare into it often - staring into a screen is to me like looking through a virtual window rather than staring at lights on a desk which kinda keeps the rest of the room 'in frame'.. I dunno if I explained that very well, that's how it feels to me.

If midi controllers had printable-overlays which I could print control names, coloured grouping blocks, etc on that would be great, also if every control on midi controllers had LED indicators - rings for knobs/encoders, a line for faders, light(s) for buttons - and also were arranged into 'compartment' segments for different functions - eg 'this block of knobs in a roughly rectangular shape on this part of the control panel is the filter block'... I think that's what separates hardware from midi controlled software for me.

Mush
Gear: I have all the gear I need.
Band: Mush Orchestra / Rasmus Nyåker

Post by Mush » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:32 pm

cartesia wrote:The reason I avoid laptop for live performance is the design of them hides what you're doing from the audience (screen blocks line of sight). Also because there is too much visual information on the screen for my liking, leading me to stare into it often - staring into a screen is to me like looking through a virtual window rather than staring at lights on a desk which kinda keeps the rest of the room 'in frame'.. I dunno if I explained that very well, that's how it feels to me.

If midi controllers had printable-overlays which I could print control names, coloured grouping blocks, etc on that would be great, also if every control on midi controllers had LED indicators - rings for knobs/encoders, a line for faders, light(s) for buttons - and also were arranged into 'compartment' segments for different functions - eg 'this block of knobs in a roughly rectangular shape on this part of the control panel is the filter block'... I think that's what separates hardware from midi controlled software for me.
Just by some white sticker/decal paper and print what you like on it - attach to the controller. Voilá!

Actually a computer is just as bad as a keyboard it it is not a keytar. The audience won't see what you are doing... ;)

The problem I have with computers on stage as well as most electronic performances I've seen by artists on a budget is that the computer often takes away the interaction between the performer and the audience. And it is not very fun to watch... But, I've seen great shows with lots of computers on stage, the latest was last Monday when I saw Imogen Heap. Live-show, not just someone observing a screen while playing! But as we see more and more cheap alternative controllers, like the Novation Launchpad, Monome, Snyderphonics Manta, etc, the artist can just attach it to a strap or whatever and interact with the audience again...

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:02 pm

sepiakeys wrote: What hardware do you think gives you maximum power and flexibility with minimal size and weight?
Spectralis

but it's a bear to learn, as is any small system that can do a million things.

Lately i prefer this for live work:
7 VCOs - most can also be LFOs, all sound great/faaat so never need to double/triple up to make a big note. E340 demolishes any supersaw, and then some.
9 sequencer lines - all manner of triggers, gates and CV modulations on hand. Clock division+multiplication, switching and DIN, MIDI and CV sync however needed.
6 different filters - including 2 flavors of vacuum tube, SSM, BBD comb, (2x)MS-20, Buchla lowpass gates, and a Quadruple Resonator(favorite!!!)
A variety of CV sources/modulators: analog and digital shift-registers, 6 slope generators, a viLFO
onboard 808 kickdrum module
3 mixers, 7 VCAs
onboard post-FX: Spatial Phaser, CV-able digital delay(!!), pitchshifting, 4 waveshapers/multipliers, a bitcrusher and a sampling looper module

it's a bit MORE than i need, obviously, but I wanted to try some things out, too. life is short.

and the best thing is the sound, of course!....and there are no menus, the circuits all have insanely wide ranges and everything is visible and adjustable in one maneuver.
the only thing i dislike so far are the screwhole placement on some modules, and the necessity of some DIY to mitigate the "+5V psu situation" in Euro. however if you stick w/ 100% analog modules primarily, then you won't run into the +5V problem.

It is expensive to buy new, but you can save huge chunks of money by DIY-ing and buying secondhand.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

THEODICY

Post by THEODICY » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:47 pm

Man, that sounds really bad a*s. Do you have any demos of this in a live context? How much do you think that system would be on average if it were all priced out used?

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:19 pm

space6oy wrote:that usually happens before or after the set & not right in the middle of it though, doesn't it?
Pft, you would think so, wouldn't you? It was our break halfway through a 4 hour set. I can't blame him though, he made more money selling beat drugs to idiots that night than we did in tips and he bought us all food and gas back to NC.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

I12

Post by I12 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:31 pm

sub 45kgs 150cm hotties with few layers of cloths to remove as the set progresses

hmm might go see one tonight :D
Dont bother its not worth it!

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:46 pm

I12 wrote:sub 45kgs 150cm hotties with few layers of cloths to remove as the set progresses

never wonder why this forum has 0 women participants

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:10 pm

THEODICY wrote:Man, that sounds really bad a*s. Do you have any demos of this in a live context? How much do you think that system would be on average if it were all priced out used?

this is 50min of the 2nd set from a gig i played last week. sorry it's not a board feed; just a zoom h2 handy recorder i had.
2 latin percussion, 2 guitars, bass player, 3 key players, a trumpet player and and 2 modular synths.
the other modular is a dotcom owned by vse member guitarsandsynths
the dotcom is running masterclock, basslines and also there's TR-606 drums; my euro's doing the majority of sound FX and most of the upper sequences you hear in the latter half of the recording. I had my Alesis A6 (organs and string/pads), most of the synth leads are mostly guitarsandsynths' ModelD minimoog, and another guy had a Tyros doing the jazzfusion-y digital poly stuff.

priced out used you'd have to check for availability on MuffWiggler and maybe around a few other parts. typically modules sell from 50%-80% of their new price on Analogue Haven or BCM; the $ variance is often based on rarity and functional specialties.
it's hard to relate any 'general' cost - you can spend anywhere from $500(or less) to build a little kick-a*s DIY 3U "FX mangling munchkin" in frac format; PAiA is even cheaper(think:a Dark Energy on crack)..... on the other hand you can easily spend well over $1000 on a single Buchla, Serge or MacBeth panel/module. Of course, barring Bode Shifters the more expensive modules are often equal to 2-5 modules in one, but still, there's quite a range in pricing. it's all so personal and variable. the range of choices is vast vast vast.
so be forewarned : i spent 3-5 times what i thought i would starting out. the sequencing is so addictive; but then I'm a Berlin-school nut so it goes with the territory. lots of wigglers use abletonLive and/or some MIDI->CV conversion for note events instead, which is financially wise.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:14 am

shaft9000 wrote:
:shock: Jesus christ.

I'm only 12 minutes into it right now, but that's actually some insane stuff. The drummer(s) are really f**k good. Nice lead work as well actually. :)

EDIT: 20 minute mark there's a dubstep wobble, bash him. :x
Last edited by tekkentool on Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:27 am

th0mas wrote:
I12 wrote:sub 45kgs 150cm hotties with few layers of cloths to remove as the set progresses

never wonder why this forum has 0 women participants
i thought we ascertained it was because women don't have the necessary p***s/sustain interaction.

Though i'm not really sure, IDM forums has a woman.

anoteoftruth
Gear: Moog Little Phatty, Moog Voyager RME, Nord Lead Rack, Microkorg, Korg ER-1, Rocktron Banshee Talkbox, Ableton Live, Trigger Finger, GURU, SP-303
Band: Mr.Marr

Post by anoteoftruth » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:26 pm

Laptop
Mixer
Guitar
Line 6 m9
Little Phatty
Trigger Finger
Mic.

With the kind of music I make in the studio.. it would be retarded of me to try and do it live by myself... infact, it would be impossible for 1 person to do it with the gear I have.. so I figure I play a lot of it with the laptop, the general beats and sounds I can't reproduce...

Than I play guitar (mostly leads), Synth for leads, effects, etc.. some live pad drumming, and vocals...

I'm not a fan of seeing laptop DJ's just stand there and look at their screens all night, but I think a laptop like anything else is a tool and can be used as a instrument..... so I try my best to use it interactively, or at least just as a backbone while I can interact with it with the rest of my gear.

Plus that's about as easily portable as I could keep it. Which is important for me. I feel better when some of my babies are safe in my studio.