getting too caught up in tech

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: getting too caught up in tech

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:43 am

Yeah I could spend more time playing with stuff rather than thinking about stuff, but the time I spend thinking about stuff makes the time I spend playing with stuff more productive.

Sometimes it even seems like too much trouble to get all the gear set back up properly after a live show, that's what I'm like at the moment after a show last week. So I've been working on this score in Live just using the laptop keyboard for note input and an MPD for percussion, and the laptop speakers to monitor. When I plug it into the proper monitors it's gonna sound bad, but it's actually pretty liberating not worrying about the mix or even fine-tuning the synth sounds at this stage. Once all the music it basically written I'll start working on the sounds.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:49 am

anoteoftruth wrote:Do you guys ever find you get too caught up in the tech sometimes?
I used to be there, but it's part of the charm now..not a prison anymore. I enjoy to make music with something simple like a Kaossilator Pro, where I can record, sample, process audio with the fx, do real time pattern switching, change the pattern length in real time, with less tech side and have fun. Really enjoy to have such a minimum requirement to do a song. After that I go back to the tech zone that I actually enjoy.
Last edited by crystalmsc on Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Doooooooom
Gear: Microkorg, Mopho Keyboard, Korg SP-300 piano, Roland KC-110 amp, Korg Pandora.

Post by Doooooooom » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:53 pm

Programming and playing synths is just a fun hobby for me. Even if I hardly do anything practical with it this stuff has good resale value anyway. I like designing sounds and jamming around with them, but I have too many other interests to distract me. I know I'll be better off financially if I just stick with my current career and try not to take my music too seriously. A lot of people find reality hard to digest, which is why you see so many of these crazy eyed people on Simon Cowel shows.

Dubersive

Post by Dubersive » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:36 pm

cartesia wrote:Chronic offender..

I think the internet is to blame mostly.. if I could get myself off the internet I'd probably use my gear instead of talk about it/think about it/read about it (and other gear)
This man speaks the truth.

I don't know what it is about the internet, but I'm always pulled back to it, wasting away hours that I could be using more productively. I just sit down at my computer after class and go on auto-pilot...I've even gone so far as to block myself from certain websites, like reddit, but I always go back.

I've considered moving my synths away from the computer so that I can focus more easily while making music - buy a multitrack recorder and a nice mixer, and then move everything to the living room or something. But that requires more money than I have at the moment, unfortunately. Looks like I need to work on building up my willpower [-X
[ Cwejman S1 MK2 / Korg MS-20 / SQ-10 | TR-606 | Eurorack stuff ]

druzz
Band: November's Ego

Post by druzz » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:40 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:Yeah I could spend more time playing with stuff rather than thinking about stuff, but the time I spend thinking about stuff makes the time I spend playing with stuff more productive.

Sometimes it even seems like too much trouble to get all the gear set back up properly after a live show, that's what I'm like at the moment after a show last week. So I've been working on this score in Live just using the laptop keyboard for note input and an MPD for percussion, and the laptop speakers to monitor. When I plug it into the proper monitors it's gonna sound bad, but it's actually pretty liberating not worrying about the mix or even fine-tuning the synth sounds at this stage. Once all the music it basically written I'll start working on the sounds.
i need to get back to that zone of ''focussing on the music''. thats how it was when i was playing guitar long ago . nowadays i start a song and as soon as i have a bass riff and a drum track i'm already throwing in reverb and EQ !! not good .

Denms20
Gear: Korg MS-20, CX-3, SP 100, Roland JX8P, Sound Canvas, Hammond CV, M3, S-6,L-100 Rhodes , Wurly, D-6 clav, Yamaha TX-7, Crumar T-1, Casio CZ-101

Post by Denms20 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:43 pm

As for instruments, I went practically all electromechanical on my own music. I can't remember the last time I used a synth on anything I wrote for myself. It got me more into focusing on notes than signal paths. I still use my synths on other peoples music when called for, but I use what's here. I rarely get tempted anymore to get new synths.
Now the studio is another story. I got into thinking I needed this mic, that tube amp, etc. so much I had to take on a lot of payed work to break out even. Long story short is I spent two years recording demo's and CD's of other people's music and didn't record a stinkin thing of my own! That means living with whatever project I was currently working on in the MP3 player, car stereo, etc. This was great for some of the projects, but the bluegrass and country bands were pure torture! So not only can't I record what I want, I can't even listen to what I want! And all for the gear lust of the latest condenser. I finally decided I wasn't making enough to justify losing such a big chunk of my life. I've started recording my own stuff again, and I'm really enjoying it again. I still take on projects I can be creative on, but it's been fun saying no to the guys who tell you how long it's going to take you to mix them down, or the guys who "know" more about mic placement than any of the experts out there.
Bottom line is there's enough c**p inside our ego's to get in the way of any type of musical output, let alone adding more from the outside!
Hammond CV, M3, s6, Korg MS-20, SP-100, CX-3, Hohner D-6, Roland JX8P, Sound Canvas, Yamaha Tx7, Casio CZ101, Rhodes, Crumar T1
http://www.organdenstudio.com

anoteoftruth
Gear: Moog Little Phatty, Moog Voyager RME, Nord Lead Rack, Microkorg, Korg ER-1, Rocktron Banshee Talkbox, Ableton Live, Trigger Finger, GURU, SP-303
Band: Mr.Marr

Post by anoteoftruth » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:51 pm

I'm loving the replies this post is getting. I feel like I'm relating a bit to what everyone is saying. Definitely giving me some ideas about how to break out of it and start getting really creative again.

One thing I'm realizing more is.. the computer is really killing me. I spend all day staring at my computer at work, and then go home, and stare at a computer to try and make music (usually end up making a loop and grazing over synth sites instead).... The computer is making me feel numb...

But when I close the laptop and just start creating, playing the keys, guitar, play with effects, vocals, different routings etc... I seem to get a lot more done creatively.. seem to come up with better sounding stuff...

Only thing is eventually I have to go back to the computer to record and sample and re-arrange and s**t.. and I get lost in the screen again..

Which kind of brings me back to gear lust, wishing that I had a decent sampler so I never have to look at my computer screen again..... back in the blackhole of G.A.S.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:35 pm

I have an iphone app that prevents me from getting too caught up in tech. It's awesome. I use it all the time.

thefleeingloaf
Gear: Virus Indigo, Machinedrum, MBase-01, Microkorg, MFB-503

Post by thefleeingloaf » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:35 pm

I'm pretty sure that every member of a site called "Vintage Synth Explorer" gets too caught up in tech sometimes :)

Really sitting down to jam and write always helps me get over GAS, for one of two mutually exclusive reasons:

1) I come up with only c**p, leading me back to the realization that I will never actually produce anything worthwhile and that, in the end, making music is just a (wonderful and rewarding) hobby.

2) I have a lot of fun and rock the f**k out to some home-made beats, and I remember that my rather minimal kit is capable of doing so much more than I give it credit for.

hasty

Post by hasty » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:48 pm

What I do is turn my computer off, or at least the monitor. The PC's inherent visual distraction (not to mention ambient noise) is probably the biggest reason I still do most of my stuff on an MPC (hardware sequencer) and use rack synths "outside the box" etc. As soon as the PC shuts off, that's when the music happens (for me). I also have different lighting setups in my music room. Nothing crazy, just something that reminds me it's time for creativity.

But hey, what am I doing? It's the weekend and I'm spending it on the Internet developing gear lust....time to dim the lights - I'm outta here! :D

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, DX7, TX7, Juno-106, AX60, Pro One, S1000, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:32 pm

@OP

Yeah, I'm plagued with that.

It's stupid, because after 5 years, the synth I use the most right now is Analog in Ableton Live. :/
soundcloud.com/vectron

Dogboy73

Post by Dogboy73 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:25 am

I've just discovered artist Moon Wiring Club who apparently makes all his music on a copy of Music on the Playstation 2 along with MTV music generator 2001!! His music is some of the most interesting & enjoyable Electronica I've heard in a while. He certainly doesn't get caught up in too much tech. Good stuff ;)

http://boomkat.com/vinyl/363752-moon-wi ... yl-edition

anoteoftruth
Gear: Moog Little Phatty, Moog Voyager RME, Nord Lead Rack, Microkorg, Korg ER-1, Rocktron Banshee Talkbox, Ableton Live, Trigger Finger, GURU, SP-303
Band: Mr.Marr

Post by anoteoftruth » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:32 pm

Dogboy73 wrote:I've just discovered artist Moon Wiring Club who apparently makes all his music on a copy of Music on the Playstation 2 along with MTV music generator 2001!! His music is some of the most interesting & enjoyable Electronica I've heard in a while. He certainly doesn't get caught up in too much tech. Good stuff ;)

http://boomkat.com/vinyl/363752-moon-wi ... yl-edition

Hudson Mohawke started making music that way too..

sequence

Post by sequence » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:02 am

anoteoftruth wrote:Do you guys ever find you get too caught up in the tech sometimes? Sometimes I find myself spending more time looking at synths, researching synths, building imaginary modular systems in my head, thinking about how I can find money to buy new synths.... etc.. That I get almost lost for creativity when I go to make new stuff. Like sometimes the infactuation with the tech kind of leads me away for why I liked the tech in the first place... to make great music... Anyone else have this problems sometimes? Anything you do to overcome it?
Yeah I sold most everything off and got out of it for a spell, inc staying the f**k off this forum. Too much information, too many opinions, too much cool shitte, too much technology, too much programming, and at what cost? Creativity. Computers made it even worse, spent most of my time resolving software and hardware issues. So I went back to guitars because the simplicity is there. pick it up, and play.

But once the synthesis bug hits, it's hard to slake. Been thinking how I could get back into it again, minus the technology-obsession pitfalls that compromise creativity. Good luck.
twentyfirst century fizMO man

gs

Post by gs » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:58 am

My personal experience and reading about the experiences of others here, tells me that musicians become obsessed with new tech and GAS when they have reached a point of stagnation in their creative abilities or musical social lives. It's just another place to focus the mind. But, as with most things in life, the only way around a problem is through it. From about '02 to '06 I went through a similar experience, buying and toying with synths and gear I always wanted but couldn't afford or didn't have the time for. But when the creative juices start flowing again, or calls start coming in for keyboard players in bands again, your focus shifts back to what's important and necessary. Now I'm back to pre-'02, having paired things down to what is needed to do what is the higher priority.
Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Korg Z1, Alesis Ion, Alesis QS8.2, Kawai K3M