getting too caught up in tech

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
cornutt
Gear: 6th

Re: getting too caught up in tech

Post by cornutt » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:55 pm

gs wrote:My personal experience and reading about the experiences of others here, tells me that musicians become obsessed with new tech and GAS when they have reached a point of stagnation in their creative abilities or musical social lives.
You beat me to it... I too have noticed that obsessing over gear is often the result of a creative block. So techniques that you use to get out of a creative block should help. I have two main ones. One is to pick a synth (any synth!) and spend some time creating patches on it. Not only will a new patch often suggest a musical idea, but it leaves me with building blocks for future compositions.

The second thing is to look around and find something that somehow is not working the way I want it to, something that was inconvenient or got in the way the last time I tried to do something with it. And invest an hour or two into fixing it. This synth needs to be in this rack instead of that rack. These patch files are all in a jumble and need organizing. The compressor's side chain needs to be properly wired to the patch bay. That sort of thing. Then, go back and re-visit whatever it was that I was doing when I ran into the problem.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:28 pm

I try to get rid of technology from time to time and touch the soil

For me, a classic tech-geek is that one who changes his cellphone as soon there's a prettier one on the market.

i have friends who become mad if they do not have their phone on their left hand while eating with the other one.

tehcnology must make your life easier not more complicated.

I know I'll be hooked to synths for the rest of my life. But that's not being hooked to technology, but to a creative process derived from it.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

vin14
Gear: ∂Juno1 / BassStation Rack / CS-5 / D-50 / DX7 / Juno-106 / M1 / Minibrute / SK20 / SY85 / Trident / Voyager OS / Minimonsta / ImpOSCar
Band: oddball

Post by vin14 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:25 am

No, I like the synths themselves and don't see the problem researching them. I agree that it's good to make the best use of what you have instead of lusting over something new. I also think there's room to do both. I'm happy to spent time just playing and programming patches, unless it's your career, there's no deadline as to when the next 'album' is due out. So what if the gear gets in the way!

sqweebking
Gear: Roland, Moog, Yamaha, Korg, Novation, etc.
Band: sqweebking

Post by sqweebking » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:41 am

vin14 wrote:No, I like the synths themselves and don't see the problem researching them. I agree that it's good to make the best use of what you have instead of lusting over something new. I also think there's room to do both. I'm happy to spent time just playing and programming patches, unless it's your career, there's no deadline as to when the next 'album' is due out. So what if the gear gets in the way!
This. Making music isn't my career, nor is anything to do with synthesizers or the tech behind them. It just interests me and thats why I buy them, play them and tinker with them. Sure I like the idea of using all the instruments I own to make an uber album that sounds good to every ear that hears it but I don't think im talented enough yet to produce such a thing. So in the mean time ill research, buy, sell, study, discuss, fix, experiment and learn everything there is to know about my hobby.

vin14
Gear: ∂Juno1 / BassStation Rack / CS-5 / D-50 / DX7 / Juno-106 / M1 / Minibrute / SK20 / SY85 / Trident / Voyager OS / Minimonsta / ImpOSCar
Band: oddball

Post by vin14 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:21 pm

sqweebking wrote:Sure I like the idea of using all the instruments I own to make an uber album that sounds good to every ear that hears it but I don't think im talented enough yet to produce such a thing. So in the mean time ill research, buy, sell, study, discuss, fix, experiment and learn everything there is to know about my hobby.
I don't think anyone is that that talented!! Once you get a sense of satisfaction from what you're doing, that's all that matters!

sqweebking
Gear: Roland, Moog, Yamaha, Korg, Novation, etc.
Band: sqweebking

Post by sqweebking » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:34 pm

I don't think anyone is that that talented!! Once you get a sense of satisfaction from what you're doing, that's all that matters!
Yea you right, I think I meant more something that people other than me could also appreciate listening to. But yea, you kno what I mean..