MacBeth M5 Synthesizers

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Re: MacBeth M5 Synthsizers

Post by plikestechno » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:24 am

Everybody i know who has ever had one has the same complaints. Nice sound but way too big. At the end of the day if they were so amazing then people would put up with them despite their size.

It didn't have to be so big and heavy just to have its sound. Ken just likes to make thing big. His euro modules didn't need to be as big as they are. The other reason I would probably never get it is the fact that it's only semi-modular. This can help keep you focused but when you want more flexible options they won't be there. If I wanted some semi-modular big beast and vintage sound I'd buy Nadas 4 voice.

Also it seems like the OP may have got a bit of a deal on his. If that's the case it's far easier to let go of something when making a few bucks comes into the equation.
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40

code green
Gear: prophet 600/evolver/juno 6/alpha juno 2/bassst'n/crumar performer/jv1010/suitcase rhodes 73/ '78 gibson l6-s/'73 guild mahogany/'69 fender princeton
Band: thermite zapruder

Post by code green » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:39 am

@PhillipWolling--have you considered trying to find a Sunsyn? My only experience with it is watching/listening to all the demos I could find online but, given your parameters and desires, it at least strikes me as what I might go for. And the MkII seems outstanding.

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:30 pm

It's got some meaty sounds, but not for me (I don't think). Thanks for the suggestion.

Going to Staples to get a low table with rollers today. I accidently dislodged a rubber er, foot by sliding it on a carpet. Now I have to reattach that by undoing the back panel and getting the nut and rescrewing the er, rubbber foot. That's how heavy it is.

Maybe MacBeth fans are right. Deal with it!

I will
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:26 pm

Haha I bought one m5 a couple years ago with a dislodged rubber foot, then I recently dislodged one on my m5n! ahhhhhh

Ken really should have made this thing half the size and with 1/8th inch cables... then they would be twice as desirable.

by the way the m5 is more raw sounding he changed the signal to noise ratio on the filters in the m5n which makes it more smooth and clean sounding.

don't forget to patch the reverb out into the external input for feedback heaven! you can make it sound like jimi hendrix
for sale/trade: EML-101

Phollop Willing PA

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:20 pm

So I took the back panel off, retrieved the loose nut from the rubber foot, reattached it, screwed it back on, screwed the back panel back up, bought a hotel type mahogany table (one with plugs on the side) from a surplus store, put the M5 on the table and dislodged the rubber foot again.

So how was your day?

I decided to use a rubber door stop to level it for now with the rubber placed where it's suppose to be, although not screwed in.
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

Phollop Willing PA

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:29 pm

So the fun with the MacBeth continues...

After trying every which way but sunday, I can't get the M5 to be triggered by an external keyboard. I'm sure I'm doing it right. I have a Moog multi pedal set to Midi to CV. The pedal is plugged into the CV in and gate to the M5 and a Korg Prophecy set to midi channel 1 into the MP 201. I am getting a 'connection' but there's something wrong . there's no pitch change.

Hooked it up to a Roland SH1000 - nothing.

Hooked it up to a Yamaha CS 40 - got something. The beast sort of plays the beast but the tones are backwards. The pitches go from low on the right to high on the left. I noticed the M5 does the same. Leave it for a while and then it doesn't even do that.

Repeat another day to more disappointing results.

Fortunatly, I had the seller sign an invoice that said the M5 was in perfect working order.

I'm offering him the chance to come to my sound room and see for himself in case I'm doing something wrong with the hookups otherwise I'm asking for my money back as there is no way I can sell a broken M5 for the same price as a working one.

Also bear in mind, I have had 20 years with an ARP 2600, so I have some familiarity with the way these things are suppose to work.

Maybe, just maybe - the seller will show me something that'll make it work the way it suppose to, or if worse comes to worse, it's small claims court.

What awesome fun! :roll:

b3groover
Band: THEO

Post by b3groover » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:13 pm

I'll take it off your hands for $100. ;)

But seriously, sorry to hear you're having issues. That's not cool.

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:17 pm

IIRC all the macbeth oscillators have weird calibration processes - I remember reading a couple threads about that on muffwiggler. you should ask around there.
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:20 am

first the cs-40m doesn't use standard cv/gate I believe it's trig so you can forget that test, second you have to have the oscillator's keyboard cv slider turned all the way up on all three oscs. if you have them centered at zero you'll get nothing, third if you have them turned down all the way they will scale backwards perfectly. :lol:

So you probably aren't setting it up right, also obviously make sure you going into the cv/gate input not output on the bottom left. I really think you're just not setting this up right so don't go freaking out on the seller :roll: be sure to keep the keyboard cv for each oscillator all the way in the up positive. m5s are super stable tuning wise.

hope this helps :) it's lame that Ken never made a manual or any documention.

and does a sh-1000 even have cv/gate out? also make sure you setting up your envelope correctly since the m5 has a very wide range, you might just hear blips if you don't have the sustain up.

Dave Bryce

Post by Dave Bryce » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:30 am

I have one. Fabulous piece. 8-)
nadafarms wrote: it's lame that Ken never made a manual or any documention.
+1. :roll:

dB
Alesis Andromeda (x2)/QS8/QSR/NanoBass/Ion, Casio VZ10M, DSI PEK (x2)/PER/MEK/P'08, Korg M3/WSSR/M1R, Kurzweil K2000/PC3, Macbeth M5, heavily modded MiniMoog, Nord Electro 2, Oberheim OB5, Roland V-Synth XT/MKS80/MKS70/JD990/D550, Yamaha MOTIF ES8

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:47 am

the only thing I haven't been able to figure out is how to slave the lfo to a clock, I'm not sure if I've been sending in the right pulse signal but it seems weird that there are two speeds for the lfo and if you're sending in pulses it changes but you can still speed up the lfo with one of the controls hence it never slaves.

anyhow it's a really great synth and I don't think anyone should knock it at all until they have played one in person.

I'm selling my m5n next week and will buy another someday in the future :cry:

Phollop Willing PA

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:51 pm

nadafarms wrote:first the cs-40m doesn't use standard cv/gate I believe it's trig so you can forget that test, second you have to have the oscillator's keyboard cv slider turned all the way up on all three oscs. if you have them centered at zero you'll get nothing, third if you have them turned down all the way they will scale backwards perfectly.
I got the CS 40 to play the beast, but it still needs the initial frequency slider all the way up so it doesn't seem to go through the ADSR as I would like. I either have on tones or not. Still, that's progress of a sense. Thanks for the tip on the cv slider. That helped.
nadafarms wrote:So you probably aren't setting it up right, also obviously make sure you going into the cv/gate input not output on the bottom left. I really think you're just not setting this up right so don't go freaking out on the seller :roll: be sure to keep the keyboard cv for each oscillator all the way in the up positive. m5s are super stable tuning wise.

hope this helps :)
Yes it did. the seller is a really nice guy and he offered to come over and sort me out on Monday. Maybe we'll even have a jam. The main problem I have is with the Moog Multi Pedal setup. I don't want to use the CS 40 as a controller.
nadafarms wrote: it's lame that Ken never made a manual or any documention.

and does a sh-1000 even have cv/gate out? also make sure you setting up your envelope correctly since the m5 has a very wide range, you might just hear blips if you don't have the sustain up.
I email Ken and he offered some suggestions but the issue with the Multi Pedal is at present, unknown. I don't believe the Moog MP 201 is at fault because I compared it with another one I rented from our local music stop. There may be a 'setting' issue with the MP that I'm not getting.

All the SH 1000 does is stop the sound from happening. Weird. It has a slot that says V.C.F. cont.

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:21 pm

that is weird you mean the vcf input on the sh1000 isn't sending proper cv gate? I mean maybe you should try hooking up an iphone to it and typing the words cv gate... that should work... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Honestly I would bet you're just not setting this up right. Hope you get her working though... maybe try a kenton midi cv

best if you can test that moog multi pedal on another cv/gate synth.

Phollop Willing PA

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:38 pm

nadafarms wrote:that is weird you mean the vcf input on the sh1000 isn't sending proper cv gate? I mean maybe you should try hooking up an iphone to it and typing the words cv gate... that should work... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Honestly I would bet you're just not setting this up right. Hope you get her working though... maybe try a kenton midi cv

best if you can test that moog multi pedal on another cv/gate synth.
The plug on the back of the SH 1000 says V.C.F cont, which I assumed (and the seller did too) was a voltage control output, funny guy..

I did get almost three octaves going but my main problems are twofold now:

1. the sound is always on, and doesn't seem to be a affected by anything on the ADSR except S (sustain) which just controls how loud or soft it is. Sequences tend to be boring without an ADSR and

2. I feel that I should be able to play more than two octaves. Shouldn't the master KB be able to play all of them?

My current theory is that this must have something to do with how the Moog Multi Pedal 201 is set. Somehow, just maybe, the gate is not closing and perhaps that's why I'm having some of these issues. Also, maybe the settings for other analogues may be different than the Macbeth. Someone suggested that the Yamaha is radically different for this type of setup.

If I can get the MP to work, I won't need the Kenton, but it's an option I'm considering.

One thing's for sure, when I figure this out, I sure won't forget it in a hurry.

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:10 am

sounds like you have the knob in the upper right of the synth above the master volume turned on, it should be set to zero all the way left. if it's on at all then you are opening/turning on the vca just like on many synths you can drone or open the vca. I think that knob is called initial gain

when I use the macbeth I'll turn that on if I just wanna make some crazy sounds without a keyboard, then turn it off when I plug in a keyboard.

change the octaves on the octave switch or tuning sliders for the oscillators if you want to go from low to high. that sounds like more of a problem of the moog cv than the macbeth, but it could be the case that you are suppose to use octave switches rather than the midi cv conversion. I dunno

I still don't see how you could have looked at a single jack on the sh1000 which refers to its vcf and somehow think you're going to get cv and gate control off of one jack... no offense it just makes it sound like u have no idea what you're doing

I'm still sure you're just setting this up wrong. hope you get it ;)

don't forget to try running the spring reverb out into the external input, it's amazing.