Manikin Memotron

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
bhrama
Gear: Sub 37, TR8, Streichfett, Tempest, P6
Band: Grit Lapse, Mangkind

Manikin Memotron

Post by bhrama » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:52 am

Anyone had experience with this board? Not a lot of youtube vids, except a 4 part one in German...and "Ich nein sprechen sie deutsch". :wink:

I found these links:
http://www.till-kopper.de/memotron.html
http://www.manikin-electronic.com/en/pr ... otron.html

Seems like an answer to many prayers. I've played a Mellotron m400, and it was beautiful, but seemed like a high maintenance girlfriend: puts out good stuff, but you gotta drop some coin for it. The Memotron, while digital, offers great portability, stability and multiple, easily recalled banks via CD.

I was just wondering if anyone had played both an original Mellotron, and this modern digital version. For $2600 NIB, it better play like the real thing.

Dubersive

Re: Manikin Memotron

Post by Dubersive » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:41 am

This video always floors me:

Maybe you've already seen it, but it's worth reposting. I say go for it, for all the reasons you stated.
[ Cwejman S1 MK2 / Korg MS-20 / SQ-10 | TR-606 | Eurorack stuff ]

alfadawg01
Gear: Ensoniq SD1, Roland JV1080, Alesis Ion, E-mu Vintage Keys
Band: The Journey Worship Band

Post by alfadawg01 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:45 am

This might help you decide:

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:01 am

Black Mountain use one too, amazing band. I mixed the support band last time they were out here, Jeremy did a 20 minute Memotron and Source jam over the big PA after soundcheck. Sounded incredible.

bhrama
Gear: Sub 37, TR8, Streichfett, Tempest, P6
Band: Grit Lapse, Mangkind

Post by bhrama » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:17 pm

Yeah I dig Black Mountain!

OctaveDr

Post by OctaveDr » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:15 am

The Mellotron M4000D is supposed to be out this month.

http://bigcitymusic.com/index.php?main_ ... d48d5c5c61

Sir Nose
Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

Post by Sir Nose » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:46 am

A rack version is coming out with a list of $1400 if anyone's interested. Reviewed in SOS.
Funkadelic wrote: nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:06 am

:geek:

Odd, you guys fuss about the Juno-D and Juno-G being called a juno, but not about this being called a Mellotron.

gs

Post by gs » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:20 am

I find it odd too, what exactly all the fuss is about this instrument. What exactly does it do differently than any digital board that contains Mellotron samples or allows you to import them? Seems to me this is all about presentation (appearance, controls, color). Seems like a mighty steep price especially for a board that limits you to 37 or whatever keys, and the 8-second limitation.
Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Korg Z1, Alesis Ion, Alesis QS8.2, Kawai K3M

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:47 am

it has 8-second uncompressed samples of a Mellotron! (That's what the 8-second note limit is- a reflection of the limitations of the original.)

(I'd consider being impressed if it was 32-bit samples...)

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:03 am

Glad we could make this into a "b***h about manufacturers using their trademark on modern instruments" thread.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

gordwiebe
Gear: motif ES rack +cards, alesis fusion, E-MU PX7 + cards, siel MONO

Post by gordwiebe » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:14 am

I don't really see what these "modern mellotrons" have over a good sampler besides looking cool.
Gear for people with more dollars than sense I suppose.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:28 am

Okay kids, carefully read the first post:
bhrama wrote:Anyone had experience with this board?
bhrama wrote:I was just wondering if anyone had played both an original Mellotron, and this modern digital version. For $2600 NIB, it better play like the real thing.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:35 am

gs wrote:I find it odd too, what exactly all the fuss is about this instrument. What exactly does it do differently than any digital board that contains Mellotron samples or allows you to import them? Seems to me this is all about presentation (appearance, controls, color). Seems like a mighty steep price especially for a board that limits you to 37 or whatever keys, and the 8-second limitation.
It seems to give you the look and feel of the Mellotron, with the full samples. SO many Mellotron sampler patches are looped shitty samples. I think that's pretty cool. I've been playing shitty compressed shortened Mellotron samples on synth keyboards for a decade. I'd love to have something which looked, felt, and sounded like a Mellotron.
Ashe37 wrote: Odd, you guys fuss about the Juno-D and Juno-G being called a juno, but not about this being called a Mellotron.
Uhhhh, yeah.
That's because the "Juno" name denotes a synthesizer... a device which can't very effectively be emulated by a digital device... whereas this device is a sampler, which isn't too bad at digitally playing back a sample. I don't know why I'm telling you this, as you should EASILY know this, but it's much easier to play back a sample of a tape recording via a sample than it is to emulate the infinite variety of subtle variations which occur in the functionality and electronics of a synthesizer. While there'll always be very subtle variable differences between a sampler and a device that plays back analog recordings, those differences are imperceptible compared to they many and audible differences in a digital device which tries to emulate the variations that exist in a synth, even one with DCOs.

I love the manifold failings of the original Mellotron, and would love to have one. But more than that, I'd love to have something which sounds just like it, and functions just like it. Synthesizers aren't playback devices, they are tools for creating sounds. A digital emulation/software synth fails to capture the infinite variety that exists in a device which is designed to create sound. Digital emulations of a device which is designed to play sound back are WAY better... especially when then go to the trouble of emulating the look and feel.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:30 am

Ashe37 wrote:Odd, you guys fuss about the Juno-D and Juno-G being called a juno, but not about this being called a Mellotron.
Who fusses about the Juno name? I certainly dont. Also, put on your reading glasses. Memotron ≠ Mellotron
gs wrote:What exactly does it do differently than any digital board that contains Mellotron samples or allows you to import them?
Gives you an interface and playing experience which is specifically tailored for Mellotron. Also I don't know about any other samplers, but I've heard the Memotron in real life and it sounds incredible.
Ashe37 wrote:(I'd consider being impressed if it was 32-bit samples...)
Show me a DA converter with a low enough noise floor to accurately render the dynamic differences between 32 bit and 24 bit and I'll consider being impressed.
tallowwaters wrote:Glad we could make this into a "b***h about manufacturers using their trademark on modern instruments" thread.
Yeah, it was looking like it was going to be a good, helpful, positive thread for a while. I was freaking out thinking that I'd gone to some other forum apart from VSE.