great SH-101-driven tracks

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Richard Gear

great SH-101-driven tracks

Post by Richard Gear » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:48 am

I know there's been a lot of debates about the SH-101 being a limited genre-associated synth. Over the past few years, I had 3 SH101's and recognise that its limits are often frustrating; It's hard to escape its sound. But in an other way, I realise that this specific sound it has always had a strong emotionnal impact on me. Do you have the same feeling?

Here's a selection of a few great tracks with obvious SH-101/MC-202 leads :

adhmzaiusz

Re: great SH-101-driven tracks

Post by adhmzaiusz » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:50 am

Those are all great songs. :)

While the 101 is definitely limited, I felt it was a keeper due to its unique sound. I don't think its a genre specific synth at all, although before I listened to any of those songs you posted the first thing that came to my mind was acid/techno music. When I listened to those songs it really offset that first thing painted in my mind.... I was expecting more dancy stuff. Although its used in those genres alot I really believe it has a place anywhere as long as you are willing to try to work it in
‹‡›

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:37 pm

The bassline is 101 isn't it?
At least he sports one in the video. :lol:

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:04 pm

D-Collector wrote:

The bassline is 101 isn't it?
At least he sports one in the video. :lol:
:lol: wow, that dude's keytar technique is quite hilarious.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:38 pm

Richard Gear wrote:I had 3 SH101's and recognise that its limits are often frustrating; It's hard to escape its sound. But in an other way, I realise that this specific sound it has always had a strong emotionnal impact on me. Do you have the same feeling?
I totally agree. Even after modding it, it still has this certain character. Most people seem to find its bass capability acceptable, but when it comes to 101 leads, some people hate them, others love them. I think part of the trick is getting the filter key tracking and resonance just right, since the Curtis oscillator's higher harmonics are a bit raw and brittle on their own.

For leads, one of the mods I did to my 101 was sub-oscillator modulation of pulsewidth. This effectively gives you two simultaneous sub-oscillators, so the higher pitch range gains some body, and still has that same raw character in the upper harmonics. Here's an example:
Last edited by Solderman on Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

computron
Band: Computron

Post by computron » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:21 pm

one of my fav's a sh 101 driving A MS-10

excellent electro
Living the Electro Life

Richard Gear

Post by Richard Gear » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:58 pm

Solderman wrote:I totally agree. Even after modding it, it still has this certain character. Most people seem to find its bass capability acceptable, but when it comes to 101 leads, some people hate them, others love them. I think part of the trick is getting the filter key tracking and resonance just right, since the Curtis oscillator's higher harmonics are a bit raw and brittle on their own.

For leads, one of the mods I did to my 101 was sub-oscillator modulation of pulsewidth. This effectively gives you two simultaneous sub-oscillators, so the higher pitch range gains some body, and still has that same raw character in the upper harmonics. Here's an example:
Your modified 101 still sounds like a 101 indeed. :)
Thanks for sharing.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:09 pm

I've always assumed the repetitive sequence in William Orbit's "Water From A Vine Leaf" is a SH-101. Am I correct with this assumption? Sounds like it to me, especially when he sweeps the filter with medium resonance.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:02 am

Sounds Rolandy to me, probably 101 or 09. That sounds alot like the sequences in Strange Cargo II. It reminded me of a cool and very easy mod for the 101: Filter cutoff external CV. With a Midi to CV converter, this opens up alot of options, including Midi velocity action:
Sorry 'bout the hijack. I love the 101's filter!
Last edited by Solderman on Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

Richard Gear

Post by Richard Gear » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:38 am

Solderman wrote:Sorry 'bout the hijack. I love the 101's filter!
No worry, that was the point of this whole thread. :D

Btw, I like your Ren avatar.

loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Post by loungedumore » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:31 am

Many KMFDM and PIG tracks come to mind ... too many to name really , however it is hard to determine what is 101 and what is fr revolution (KMFDM) when the fx are slathered on a bit . :oops:
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

vinyl_junkie
Gear: Akai samplers

Post by vinyl_junkie » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:28 pm

Richard Gear

Post by Richard Gear » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:18 pm

Everybody said that the ROYGBIV bassline is either a SH-101 or a SH-2, but this video leaves me in doubt :

vinyl_junkie
Gear: Akai samplers

Post by vinyl_junkie » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:30 pm

Very interesting! I have a MP3 some where of some one doing the Roygbiv bass line on a 101 but from memory the Crumar sounds closer

Richard Gear

Post by Richard Gear » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:07 pm

vinyl_junkie wrote:Very interesting! I have a MP3 some where of some one doing the Roygbiv bass line on a 101 but from memory the Crumar sounds closer
Yeah, according to my ears, this must be the right synth. But I'm wondering if a 101 was used for those hyper dry thundering basses in tracks like An eagle in your Mind. What a fascinating bass! Maybe it could be a sh-2 as well, or a AX-80??